PDA

View Full Version : Success stories with growth aids?

jujube
November 17th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Some swear growth aids have doubled their normal growth, while others claim they can't do anything to make hair grow faster.

I'd like to know if anyone has had success with growth aids (MSM, biotin, hair supplements, Monistat, topical creams or oils, etc.). Share your stories!

aenflex
November 17th, 2010, 09:33 AM
I have tried without sucess: Shapley's MTG, which is a sulphur based topical. Biotin - gave me too much small acne patches and after somewhere around 6 months, I didn't really notice any major increase. Capsicum, which is the active ingredient in peppers, although I quit after a few months due to scalp acne. Hair vitamins never made a difference that I noticed, and I took them for at least a year if not two. I do regularly take a multi vitamin though.
The only thing that ever has made what I consider a noticeable difference was frequent scalp massages with my mix of carrier oil and Rosemary/Tea tree EO. When doing this, which I have done off and on for years, I see increased baby hair growth and a fuller hairline.

Nicolesid1
November 17th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Prenatal vitamins. It really did help the growth almost double but I had to have a good diet behind it. Just ate more greens. So I guess it truth it was the mix of both.

Roscata
November 17th, 2010, 11:51 PM
I'm doing scalp massages with 50% Castor oil and 50% Extra Virgin Olive Oil every other day and leaving it on over night, washing it out the next day. My growth has noticeably increased, plus my shedding it at a minimum.
I have length photos in my album, it grew like an inch in a month.

lhangel9
November 21st, 2010, 02:11 PM
I have tried without sucess: Shapley's MTG, which is a sulphur based topical. Biotin - gave me too much small acne patches and after somewhere around 6 months, I didn't really notice any major increase. Capsicum, which is the active ingredient in peppers, although I quit after a few months due to scalp acne. Hair vitamins never made a difference that I noticed, and I took them for at least a year if not two. I do regularly take a multi vitamin though.
The only thing that ever has made what I consider a noticeable difference was frequent scalp massages with my mix of carrier oil and Rosemary/Tea tree EO.

I used Shapley's MTG in the past and my hair grew phenominally FAST - then I got lazy and quit using it. I'm back using it again (for 2 wks now) and I'm still waiting for the results. Biotin - well I'm not yet too sure and I have to drink an excessive amount of water to counteract the pimples. I also take Hair, Skin & Nail Vitamins - they seem to be doing something, but just not fast enough for me though. I've also been taking a multi-vitamin for the last 3 weeks (the jury is still in on that one also). I do notice that my hair tends to grow faster after several scalp massages.

Forever_Sophie
November 21st, 2010, 02:15 PM
2000mcg biotin! The increase in growth rate was v. obvious, friends who saw me daily were even commenting :)

rymorg2
November 21st, 2010, 02:26 PM
I have success with prenatal vitamins, B12 supplements (I read it's supposed to do the same thing as biotin but not break you out), and nightly oilings and massages with coconut oil.

LaurelSpring
November 21st, 2010, 03:52 PM
I would say my best examples are castor oil and I believe when I was regularly using the Knox for Nails I saw a difference. I keep meaning to get back on track with that again.

Beatrix_Kiddo
November 21st, 2010, 05:39 PM
In the last months, red korean ginseng and skin, hair and nails vitamins. I cut my bangs at the end of july and now they are below the tip of my nose. Wonderful!

MinderMutsig
November 21st, 2010, 11:13 PM
Well, I started measuring after I began doing scalp massages with a castor oil-jojoba oil mix on the night before washday and leaving that on as a deep oiling and a week before before starting Monistat and my hair grew an inch in three weeks which is pretty fast.
But I don't know if either has had an effect since I never used to measure.

It doesn't feel like my hair grows faster now because I was always a fast grower, but since I like the oil scalp massages I'm not planning on stopping with those any time soon. I'm giving the Monistat a couple of weeks and then I'll take a break from that and we'll see what happens.

My instincts tell me that if any of those work for me it's the castor oil, but I have no hard data on that.

Isabel
November 23rd, 2010, 06:01 PM
I've been eating Solgar's Skin, Hair and Nails vitamins that contain MSM, a separate biotin supplement and an increased amount of fruits and veggies. The supplement intake I've been on hasn't been very regular since I'm scatterbrained and have difficulties with routine, so there have been a few week-long breaks in between. I've also been occasionally oiling my scalp heavily a few hours before washes.

I started at shoulder level in April and right now I'm at APL after about 5 inches of growth. My usual growth rate is about 4-5 inches a year. Not sure what part of my routine is helping most, but there's definitely been an increase of growth rate.

AnnaJamila
November 23rd, 2010, 06:06 PM
Monistat made my hair much thicker and I think longer!!! A little too soon to tell that yet... I'm taking biotin, intermittedly, and a bunch of other vitamins and they sure make me feel better so that's worth it for me, though it's been too soon to notice anything but thickness.

Felix_D
November 23rd, 2010, 07:23 PM
2000mcg biotin! The increase in growth rate was v. obvious, friends who saw me daily were even commenting :)

I cannot find biotin anywhere! It's only in combo vit B tablets, which have like 50 mcg each.

McFearless
November 23rd, 2010, 08:03 PM
Monistat monistat monistat!

BeautifulBella
November 23rd, 2010, 08:31 PM
my best results were using a prescription antifungal by Prasco. I got about an inch of growth in 3 days. I had put it on a small section of my hair because I read about using vaginal antifungal for hair growth and I could not get out to a store so just used what I had in my house already. Then I noticed that one section of hair was insanely longer than the rest.

I got good results with MTG. at the time I thought it was amazing growth, I would get about and an inch each month. But it really made my hair dry.

I love monistat. It gives me about an inch and a half a month.

christine1989
November 23rd, 2010, 08:31 PM
I take biotin and it did nothing for growth rte but it made my hair quite a bit thicker (I'll take it!). I have tried horsetail which seemed to give my hair a nice growth spurt then it returned to normal but I gained a good 2.5 inches in a month and a half. Currently I use castor oil which is mostly good for moisturizing but it does help speed my growth a bit. Strangely enough the thing that most dramatically helped my growth rate was not a growth aid at all- it was an immune supressant percribed for hives. Since taking it my hair has been getting a steady 1.25-1.5 inches each month. I have been utilizing all of the new growth by slowly trimming off my terribly discolored ends.

kuku
November 24th, 2010, 03:04 AM
hii

i did try biotin and silica dont know about the growth but yes it stopped my hair fall and i felt my roots v thick:).i left it because of laziness and forgetfulness :(.im back to biotin and salmon oil capsules now hope for good results:)

BellCat
November 24th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Lots and lots of nuts and seeds!!!!

jujube
November 25th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I also can't seem to find biotin anywhere. I tried all the drugstores, now I think I'll try natural health stores but I'm not very optimistic.

littlenvy
November 25th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I also can't seem to find biotin anywhere. I tried all the drugstores, now I think I'll try natural health stores but I'm not very optimistic.
Health stores will have it. :)

Biotin is something your own body makes so it usually not made into a suppliment. The only time its available in a suppliment form (and sold in general stores) is together with other B Complex vitamins. But then its in a rather low quantity.

rymorg2
November 25th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Coconut oil will also act as an antifungal, is all natural, and something I'd much rather put on my scalp than Monistat. I don't even use that for what it's made for!!