PDA

View Full Version : Heat is bad for the hair so why is "hot" oil treatment good?

Dreamkitty
November 17th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I know that heat is very bad for the hair, whether it is flat ironing, blow drying, washing hair with hot water etc.

But I hear that warm/hot oil massage is good for the scalp and increases blood flow. I don't understand this concept because if oil is hot, wouldn't it damage the hair because of the heat?:confused:

Fethenwen
November 17th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Well it's not really that hot to do any damage, I would call it more like warm oil treatment. The oil penetrates the hair better if it's a bit warm.

littlenvy
November 17th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Well it's not really that hot to do any damage, I would call it more like warm oil treatment. The oil penetrates the hair better if it's a bit warm.
*nods head*
I agree. The oil is actually warm not burning hot.

aenflex
November 17th, 2010, 09:05 AM
One thing heat does is open the cuticles a little. This helps the oils penetrate a little deeper. I don't put them on warm, I put my oil on dry hair then if I want heat I just put on a plastic cap and do some shots with the blow dryer.
Now using an iron on oiled hair, nother story entirely. Very bad...

2peasinapod
November 17th, 2010, 10:09 AM
I agree. Most heat styling tools are so hot, you would get burned if you touch them.

CaityBear
November 17th, 2010, 10:45 AM
It's all a matter of heat as everybody else has said. Burning hot=bad. Warm=good. And obviously when we're doing hot oil treatments you don't want it to be burning your scalp.

That's why a lot of people say if you absolutely have to blow dry your hair (say, it's winter and you shower in the morning and your hair will freeze if you go outside! It's happened) then use the lowest setting and the Cool button if you have one.

spidermom
November 17th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Agreed; hot oil treatment = warm oil treatment. If you had truly hot oil, like as hot as a flat-iron gets, for example, you wouldn't want it anywhere near your hair.

I almost always use some coconut oil in the bottom half of my length when I'm going to blow-dry. I don't use the hot setting, only the warm and cool one, which I think helps the coconut oil to penetrate and nourish my hair.

curlymarcia
November 17th, 2010, 11:48 AM
So much hot the oil should be? Not as hot to burn your hand? can I make a hot oil treatment with any oil (olive oil for example)? sorry if these is so basic, but I'm new in the world of the oils.

BrightEyes7
November 17th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I agree with everyone else... it really should be called a warm oil treatment.

Now using an iron on oiled hair, nother story entirely. Very bad...

Truer words have never been said... and of course most of us found out the hard way!:p

nellreno
November 17th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I think the oil would have to be much hotter than what most people use on their hair to be harmful to the hair, probably to the point that it would be burning the scalp (and no one wants that!).

Roseate
November 17th, 2010, 12:39 PM
So much hot the oil should be? Not as hot to burn your hand? can I make a hot oil treatment with any oil (olive oil for example)? sorry if these is so basic, but I'm new in the world of the oils.

Just make it pleasantly warm, so you can stick your finger in it without any discomfort. Olive oil is great for a deep treatment!

spidermom
November 17th, 2010, 12:47 PM

Some oils are better than others, but olive oil is a good one. Just warm it so that it feels warm to the touch, or apply room-temperature oil to hair, cover with shower cap, cover shower cap with wool cap. You use the heat of your head to warm the oil and help it penetrate.

little_cherry
November 17th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I did a hot oil treatment last night. All I used was cling wrap, 2 wet face cloths warmed in the microwave, a plastic bag. My oil mix was olive, coconut, shea, castor, almond.

It was lovely!

Intransigentia
November 17th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Agreed; hot oil treatment = warm oil treatment. If you had truly hot oil, like as hot as a flat-iron gets, for example, you wouldn't want it anywhere near your hair.

Eek! Now I'm imagining someone dunking their ends in a deep fryer for a treatment. Run away!