PDA

View Full Version : Brush cleaning - getting out brush bunnies?

nytquill
November 17th, 2010, 07:02 AM
I have a wooden bristle brush, wooden back/handle, rubber umm...I don't know what the proper word is but the thing the bristles insert into. I don't clean it all that often, because every time I brush my hair I pull the shed hairs out, so I don't normally get a lot of hair buildup in the brush. What really bugs me though are the little "brush bunnies" that build up around the bottom of each bristle, which I would guess are bits of skin and oil and dust that clump together.

I've tried using a toothbrush, minimal effect. I've tried using a regular plastic comb (I only keep it around to straighten my part, once every 2 months or so :lol: ), which works a little better but I worry about damaging the bristles over time. Pulling them off with my fingers is incredibly tedious and actually less effective than the comb.

Currently my method involves a bit of all three of those, followed by the toothbrush again dampened with soapy water, then clean water, then drying with a towel. It does work, but it seems like there might be a better way? I can't be the only one with brush bunnies! How do you deal with them?

Fethenwen
November 17th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Hmm, not sure if I can come with any better advice since I also use the toothbrush method :p I sort of "drag" and brush the hair and mush with a soapy toothbrush. Also pulling the hairs out of the brush after every time I have brushed with it helps to keep it cleaner.

enfys
November 17th, 2010, 07:09 AM
I have a tangle teezer which comes apart and can be dumped in hot saopy water to soak. I highly recommend it!

Could you substitute a cotton bud for the toothbrush? That could be easier to get in and around the bristles to clean it or loosen the bunnies. Then maybe use the toothbrush for the second going over.

What you do now is bascically what I had to do with a regular brush, so I know how tedious it is!

nytquill
November 17th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Well at least it means there's not some great secret I haven't been let in on, or some obvious thing that I completely overlooked (happens to me often!)

Q-tip is a good idea to loosen them up first! Thanks for the quick replies :)

littlenvy
November 17th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Oh how I hate those little dust things!
So now I just put one of those sterile gauze pads on my brush, push it in with my fingers until the bristles poke through. When you brush your hair the gauze will make its way to the bottom. I change the gause usually every other day (depending on use or how dusty my hair is). When you pull the gauze off it takes the "bunnies" with it.

Anje
November 17th, 2010, 01:36 PM
If you ever figure out the magic trick, please tell me too! My BBB has nice little lint bunnies embedded deep in the bristles, and they don't want to come out.

trillcat
November 17th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Miss Cat seen in my avatar sleeps on my head, around my head, near my head.
Very cute but I brush more cat hair out than my own hair!
I unbrush my brush, half boar hair, half plastic, under cold running water with a fine tooth comb and a teeny bit of shampoo, gets all the stubborn cat bunnies out of there.
Blow back all crazy I am left with a fine spray of water on me and all surround areas, but gets it clean!

firefly42
November 17th, 2010, 01:57 PM
i use q-tips to clean my brushes they work great just get them damp first so the brush bunnies stick better.

ddiana1979
November 17th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Uh, this may sound weird, but after pulling off the loose hairs, I take the vacuum cleaner (Dyson, so it's pretty strong) w/ a brush attachment to mine. After that, I wash it with a little soap & water, and air dry upside down onto a clean towel.

RadiantNeedle
November 17th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Oh how I hate those little dust things!
So now I just put one of those sterile gauze pads on my brush, push it in with my fingers until the bristles poke through. When you brush your hair the gauze will make its way to the bottom. I change the gause usually every other day (depending on use or how dusty my hair is). When you pull the gauze off it takes the "bunnies" with it.

!

You are a genius!

In2wishin
November 17th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I use this thing: http://www.fuller-brush-products.com/item/Hairbrush-Cleaner-Tool-142

I still have the one my mom bought back when Fuller brushes were still sold door to door. I soak it in soapy water (using shampoo for the soap) and run this through it and it really gets out everything.