PDA

View Full Version : How much hair loss is natural?

mra1984
November 17th, 2010, 06:49 AM
My wife has 24" long hair but everyday in the morning there are quite a few hairs lying around and on our carpet there are small cluters of hair which I pick up each week...

Is this just a normal part of long hair or is she losing too much

How much hair loss is a natural part of long hair?

Can she take any vitamins to promote hair strength?

Thanks

enfys
November 17th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Up to 200 hairs a day is considered normal. It's just part of the growth cycle, and from what you say nothing to sorry about.

Fethenwen
November 17th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Yeah, and when the hair is long, it just seems like one is loosing more hair because these "hairballs" can grow quite huge the longer the strands are. Nothing to worry about :)

excentricat
November 17th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Its normal to lose up to 100 strands of hair a day. As they get longer, it looks like more and more hair though.

aenflex
November 17th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Do you think your wife would be interested in perhaps joining the forum herself? This way she could read over all of the information she chooses and maybe start a journal or blog of her hair progress?
I just imagine it being difficult to learn without hands on access, is all.

linda g
November 17th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I don't count my hairs, but I leave them all over the place! Just part of living with a longhair!:laugh:

Copasetic
November 17th, 2010, 07:53 AM
My wife has 24" long hair but everyday in the morning there are quite a few hairs lying around and on our carpet there are small cluters of hair which I pick up each week...

Is this just a normal part of long hair or is she losing too much

How much hair loss is a natural part of long hair?

Can she take any vitamins to promote hair strength?

Thanks

Heh, sounds like my apartment. Unless you notice visible thinning of the hair on her head, she isn't losing too much. It just seems like a lot when hair is long.

Spike
November 17th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Yup, that's one of the "dark side" parts of having long hair--when the hairs fall out, they're really noticeable.

When I had TBL hair, my husband was at BSL, and we had a cat who was a Maine Coon/Persian cross. Talk about hairballs the size of tumbleweeds . . .

Angelica
November 17th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Again, I think it great that you are taking such an interest in your wife's hair like this. The loss sounds normal to me, one of the minuses with long hair and the worst thing is that it all seems to collect in one place almost a magnet drawing it in. It looks bad because the hair is so long. About 100 hairs a day is average I think.

Mairéad
November 17th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Many have answered already. Anywhere from 100-200 a day is pretty normal. It just seems like so much more if the strands are longer.

Aria
November 17th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I don't count, but I'm pretty sure I easily lose over fifty a day, probably over a hundred a day even when I've put just about no strain on at all. It's easy to lose a lot...I can stay over for a week and they'll find my hair in the oddest places months later. I know a cat who probably outdoes me, but that's it.

I'm happy you started this thread, though. I was starting to worry my own shedding rate was bad, when some LHC members mention what sounds like virtually no shedding at all, in comparison.

terrylillyd
November 17th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I've read around 100 hairs a day is normal. My long hair balls up and looks like there is more hair then there really is that is shedding. Your wife's hair sounds normal.

spidermom
November 17th, 2010, 03:46 PM
I've always thought up to 100 hairs a day is normal. That's a lot.

I just pulled about half a head of hair out of the bathroom drain a few days ago; repeat 3 times per year - that's a lot of hair! Plus we find it all over the house and truck, even my husband's work van, and I'm almost never in it.

Intransigentia
November 17th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Long shed hair really does get everywhere, and when it does, it's obvious. During my first longhair period (high school) my brother used to complain that he could open a fresh, sealed can of soda, at somebody else's home, and find my hair in it. These days, it keeps choking my poor Roomba, getting wrapped around the wheels until they can't turn any more.

Jezerellica
November 17th, 2010, 05:09 PM
I agree, we would love to have your wife join us! If the hair is bothering you, there are ways to cut down in the hair on the floor. I comb out my hair in the bathroom only. That way the most hair fallout will be on a surface that is easy to clean up with a damp paper towel or whatever. Then arrange my updo in the bathroom too, same thing. Now I have a great mirror with super light in my living room. I love to check out my length in it. (vain, I know) Then I use a comb on the carpet and gather the hair up right away, cuz it will fall out there too. She may not be aware of how often it falls out. Keeping it in a braid or updo also protects it and almost eliminates fallout around the house.

Jezerellica
November 17th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Long shed hair really does get everywhere, and when it does, it's obvious. During my first longhair period (high school) my brother used to complain that he could open a fresh, sealed can of soda, at somebody else's home, and find my hair in it. These days, it keeps choking my poor Roomba, getting wrapped around the wheels until they can't turn any more.
LOL!! Your brother! That is hilarious!!!

Intransigentia
November 18th, 2010, 09:15 AM
My brother is a very funny guy. Glad you enjoyed.