PDA

View Full Version : What age did you decided to grow your hair long?

Dreamkitty
November 17th, 2010, 06:15 AM
How old was you, when you said "right im going to grow out my hair":D?.

I joined this board in late October, and this influenced me hugely into growing my hair long. I always wanted long hair but I had this sudden impulse to not cut my hair! and Im 20 years old.

becker
November 17th, 2010, 06:24 AM
I had long hair as a kid, chin length cut at 17, no cuts again until 22 when I cut it short and kept it that way. 36 now and growing it out.

trillcat
November 17th, 2010, 06:29 AM
I have always been a long hair!
Well, there were brief dalliances with short hair in my youth, I had the Dorothy Hamill cut, and I did get a few other shag cuts, mostly because my mom got sick of her tomboy daughter with the long butt length hair, comb out was a nightmare!
She never made me cut it though, more a suggestion that it might be easier to climb trees and romp and play with a bit shorter hair, without bits of twigs and dirt all in it. :)
My last cut was the pixie, as an adult. I did that in a fit of I don't know what compels women to cut off their hair when a relationship goes very bad, but I did it.
Never again! Its going as long as it want to grow!
ETA: Forgot to mention my age I'm 44

Armelle
November 17th, 2010, 06:31 AM
18. But I've had some major hair cuts since then. Dunno what i was thinking.

curlylocks85
November 17th, 2010, 06:38 AM
I was 21 when I started to seriouly grow my hair long. I was 24 when I found the LHC.

Dyefree
November 17th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Well, seeing as I only just found this place a month ago and was inspired by other longhairs, it would be 28 years of age. :D

linda g
November 17th, 2010, 06:42 AM

(which is too short of an answer, apparently!)

Siava
November 17th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Roughly when I was 30. I went through a major chop a couple of years beforehand and wanted it long again. It was growing, but I was majorly abusing it. Then I found this place a couple of years ago. The rest is history. :)

mrs_coffee
November 17th, 2010, 07:17 AM
I've been contemplating it for a while, but I firmly decided to do it just a few months ago. I'm 40.

excentricat
November 17th, 2010, 07:19 AM
26 when I decided to grow, but I just found this board in July at 27.

Xandergrammy
November 17th, 2010, 07:24 AM
I was 40 years old. Had long hair in the '70's/early 80's, then wore it very short until I decided to grow it in 1995/6

enfys
November 17th, 2010, 07:24 AM
I've always been a long hair. I bounced between waist and classic+ for years, and went as short as BSLish, but my hair has never been short.

I decided to grow back out to fingertip about a year ago I think.

spitfire511
November 17th, 2010, 07:25 AM
This is the third time in my life I've had hair past APL. This this the first time that I've decided I want truly 'long' hair - I'm 33. :-)

pepperminttea
November 17th, 2010, 07:36 AM
I've always liked long hair, but I decided to let it get long (I'd never had hair past BSL) when I was 20, and then found LHC a little over a year later. :)

freckles
November 17th, 2010, 07:38 AM
I 'decided' (and joined LHC) aged 20, but at that point I hadn't had a haircut for two years so I guess I was de facto growing anyway.

Nera
November 17th, 2010, 07:45 AM
15. <- message too short(: haha

Copasetic
November 17th, 2010, 07:56 AM
23, when I joined the LHC. I have never had long hair before, so I decided I wanted to see what it was like.

Kerynna
November 17th, 2010, 08:09 AM
44. I figure, it's now or never. :p

Madora
November 17th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Except for my pre teen years, I've had long hair from 1960 on.

Cut it in 1977 to just below shoulder length when I went on a 5 month vacation to europe.

Began growing it back immediately and it continued to grow for the next 22 yrs.

Cut it to shoulder length (because of soreness in my right shoulder).

Grew out again and is now at 40 inches.

chelles2kids
November 17th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Hmmm...I would say somewhere around 34.

As a child my Mother always kept my hair cut short because I tend to be on the thick side and honestly I don't think she knew how to deal/cope with it.:p

So I followed suite all the way through high school and into marriage and babies, then after having my dd. I decided to finally do what I wanted with my hair, and so it began...

*Seraphina*
November 17th, 2010, 09:09 AM
18 but I cut it off 2 times because it was in bad condition or people say that short hair fits me better.
Now at 23 I would not do that again. I know it for sure that I want long hair!

Avvoltoio
November 17th, 2010, 10:07 AM
i started to thinking it when i was 16, but i only started to grow my hair when i was at the end of 17. I registered here when i was 18, but i was not active until the end of last month.

jujube
November 17th, 2010, 10:11 AM
19. I'd had a buzz cut and a lot of people were raving about it, and I secretly thought of having long hair as impossible because it was so short. But now I'm caring about it, a day at a time, and it's growing, slowly but surely.

bedazzlecat
November 17th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Well, first when I was 25, I decided to grow my hair out long after having it chin length to flip length since I was 17. (16, I had a pixie cut, and before that, it was waist length.) Well, sometime towards the end of my pregnancy right after I turned 26, I decided I hated the condition of my hair, and had it cut pixie short again. I began growing it back to chin length, then shoulder length immediately after.

Once my hair reached my shoulders, I tried to layer it myself at home, and ended up with a terrible mullet. So instead, I finished the cut and ended up with something rather nice, a layered chin-length bob. I was about 28 by this time.

Within I year, I had it back down to my shoulders, and cut short bangs straight across and dyed it black. What can I say? My complexion loves black. I have been growing it out ever since.

But a few months ago, when it was nearly waist length, I had my hemline cut straight across. I lost 4 inches, but the ends were now perfect, and I've really been babying my tresses and have started some new routines (thanks to this site!)

I still have my bangs, but I am growing them out. I really love short bangs because it gives me a Bettie Page sort of look, but as my hair grows longer it doesn't feel as "cool" as it did. Plus, I have a cowlick and natural part that keeps my bangs from sitting as straight as I'd like. Recently, I started envying classic length, but for now, I'm going for healthy waist-length.:pray:

aenflex
November 17th, 2010, 10:37 AM
18, 22, 25, 28, 30, etc etc etc. I wonder at what age my hair will be long, if ever :(

Tia2010
November 17th, 2010, 10:50 AM
My mom kept my hair short-ish when I was a little girl ( I was a tomboy , so it was way easier to deal with me with short hair :D plus it had a weird wave and texture to it that made it look crazy until it grew past a certain point! !)

So as a teen in the 80's I decided I wanted long hair .... so I had the typical long "band hair" ... but after it was badly damaged I cut it all off into a pixie cut and have been going back and forth between short and BSL ever since.

I gave up the dream of TBL hair years ago.... until I found this site :D so I have decided now at age 41 to go ahead and get my dream hair no matter what anyone else thinks about it :D

slythwolf
November 17th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I started growing at 17 the first time. Then at 26 I cut to BSL because I didn't know how else to deal with the rut I was in, but it didn't take me long to decide I wasn't going to keep it that length. It still took me 500g of henna that first time so I'm glad I did it.

Nobody
November 17th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I was bald for the second time when I was in 5th grade (and a little of 4th and 6th). Once I recovered in 6th grade (which is what, age 11?), I started growing it out and vowed to never significantly cut it again.

papillion
November 17th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I first started growing my hair in the summer holidays between primary school and high school, so I must have been about ten years old. I never really got past BSL.

This time around, I think it must be about two years since I started seriously thinking about growing my hair.

tinywife
November 17th, 2010, 11:39 AM
It was mid-back-length in high school, and I've been through various short/medium haircuts since then.

I've noticed that many women tend to change their hair after major life transitions. It's almost like our way of closing the chapter. This was certainly the case for me.

After my post-wedding chop, LHC is actually what made me what to grow my hair long! I was looking up pictures of long hair and short hair trying to decide, and stumbled on this site. Not very surprisingly, the beautiful long hair here quickly won me over! I'm a "longhair at heart" now and never looking back.

lundmir
November 17th, 2010, 11:40 AM
At 20 years old, I wanted to experiment long long hair after a series of bobs and pixies.

Mariah!!
November 17th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I was 5 years old. My hair was the longest it ever has been when I was 5 and I was almost sitting on it! (actually it probably was not that long since I was short, but hey, It was to my butt) My aunt cut my hair thinking she would help my hair get healthy, and cut it to my shoulders! :boohoo: My mom was dissapointed. It has never been to my hips again.... I ALWAYS have had the goal to get it back. My mom actually thought I was ***** until I started dating!! She thought that since I was so obsessed with womens long hair, that I liked only women! :rolleyes: So embarrasing!! Well my hair has been between armpit and mid back for most the rest of my life, and I REALLY need to meet my goal already!! I think I have had the goal for longer than anyone on here actually.... And yet... I have yet to meet my goal!:poot:

curlymarcia
November 17th, 2010, 12:28 PM
At 27 after getting clip on extensions for my wedding. I loved so much how I look. Having fine curly hair there is no perfect hair extension match, and heat styling all days is not for me. So I decided to grow my hair, and I still in the process.

Roseate
November 17th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I've grown my hair out three times. It was short as a kid, always chin-shoulder. First time growing out: 15-18. It reached about BSL that time. 2nd time, I was 27-31. Reached hip that time. This time, I started at 32, currently almost BSL again, we'll see how far I get!

firefly42
November 17th, 2010, 12:51 PM
um...twelve, probably but have chopped it back to shoulder length about a bazillion times....last year i found a picture of myself from 2006 with waist length hair (i really don't remember it being that long) and decided i want that back! Did one final chop to shoulder to cut off commercial dye and damage and have been growing ever since!

The Drood
November 17th, 2010, 01:37 PM
21, after years of procrastinating and saying "I'll grow it, some day". I switched my procrastinating to hair-cuts and voila, long hair (and still growing) 3 years later.

Mairéad
November 17th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Besides a couple mandated hair cuts from my mom I've always had BSL to waist length hair. Last December I cut it to my chin though because a mean boy broke my heart. I like that I'm starting over again because my hair was never all that healthy when it was long and I want to grow it right this time.

Jenn of Pence
November 17th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I guess I grew up having "longish" hair. When I was 12 or 13 I decided a chin-length bob was fashionable, so I wanted one. A mere one day (or less!) after cutting it, I didn't want it anymore. I knew I wanted long, long, long hair, so I started growing and never looked back. Just never got much further than waist all these years due to not having a clue how to take care of it and letting the ends get ratty, or getting bored with it since it wasn't getting any longer and heat styling out of boredom, which just damaged it more, making it shorter and shorter.... Now hopefully I'm on track, 15 years later. ;)

xpeacelovekoala
November 17th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I had about BSL hair when I was a senior in high school (but I didn't plan on growing it, I just did) and then it's gotten progressively shorter as my college years have gone by.

I finally decided to grow my hair long this past may, so 21 years old. (:

FrannyG
November 17th, 2010, 03:05 PM
My hair varied between short and about half-way between APL to BSL for most of my life. My average length was probably just below the shoulders. Of course, my hair is fine and I colour it, and I used to heat style it. So inevitably, when it reached a certain length, it would be damaged and I would cut it.

I was almost 45 when I decided to give up heat styling. It was then that I started looking for hairstyles to do with longer hair, and that search led me to this forum.

Once I joined LHC, I realized that it just might be possible for me to grow the long hair that I've always wanted. I was 45 when I decided to grow it for as long as it will grow.

I've suffered a couple of major setbacks since then (chemical damage that needed to be cut off), but I'm growing again, and looking forward to being at or almost at waist length for my 50th birthday next summer. That will be the longest that my hair has ever been. :)

KittyLost
November 17th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Subconsciously, 12 after it went from my usual shoulder length to a chin bob that looked awful. It grew to BSL before going back to my usual shoulder length when I was 16 which I then grew back to BSL.
i'm now aiming to grow longer than BSL at the age of 19 :)

terrylillyd
November 17th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I decided to grow my hair long when I was 19, but it didn't start to really work until I was 35 and stopped torturing my hair by products, treatments, blow drying and using a curling iron.

nena_shawty
November 17th, 2010, 03:29 PM
around 16 I started loving long hair... im 18 now and im craving long hair ... i didnt start making an effert until about 5 months ago and im starting to love my hair

Alun
November 17th, 2010, 03:29 PM
13, and when I was 23 I decided to grow it seriously long. That's 40 and 30 years ago.

lhangel9
November 21st, 2010, 02:15 PM
4 years old:D Actually by the age of four, I wanted to have very long hair. My mom used to tell everyone that I wanted hair so long that I could sit on it. That wasn't the case for me at that time. However, now I do believe that she's right. In fact I want it even longer than that :stirpot:

bluesnowflake
November 21st, 2010, 02:53 PM
I've almost always had longish (APL/BSL) hair, but I decided I wanted to grow it out really long around age 11.

Sunsailing
November 21st, 2010, 06:03 PM
I was 36 years old.
My wife told me, "Grow it now, or don't grow it....Please don't wait until you're 60..."

SheaLynne
November 21st, 2010, 07:02 PM
I've always loved long hair but didn't know how to accept my hair for itself, so I kept perming and listening to others tell me what would work for my hair. Then, because I never wanted to spend money on haircuts, I would end up letting it grow, then at some point cut again to get rid of old perm and damaged ends and get a "fresh start."

So, most of teens and 20s perming and growing out cycle...late 20s finally forced myself to stop the perming and had longer hair (bsl to waist-ish), but when I had my kids, I chopped after each of them when I hit major shedding. Finally at age 38 I accepted that what *I* like and want is really long hair and gorgeous braids and updos and *not* going every 4-6 weeks to maintain something. Found LHC while looking for updo tips when I was just turning 39. Now I'm 40 and have *almost* tailbone-length hair. :)

princessp
November 21st, 2010, 07:06 PM
I've always had long hair except once when I shaved it (it didn't suit me at all).

ETA: I just remembered I had kind of a short cut in kindergarten too so twice actually.

Lielananna
November 21st, 2010, 07:35 PM
I had about APL to what amounted to BSL for most of my childhood, but was told that I would look really good with shoulder length hair when I was about 14 and so I cut it all one length with straight bangs and I absolutely hated it. My hair is so thick and I didn't do any layers so it just poofed out horribly. I decided then and there that I was never going to have short hair again and decided that I was going to grow it until it hit the floor (I've now amended that to include that if I hit terminal I'll be happy :)). I've been growing it out ever since with only one cut of 6 inches in college so that my bangs which I'd been growing at the same time would be the same length as the rest of my hair. I'm now 26 and my hair is to my knees.

Qwackie
November 21st, 2010, 07:40 PM
Started growing at eleven, cut it at fourteen. Now I'm fourteen and growing it back.

MaryLA
November 21st, 2010, 07:47 PM
Had long hair as a kid. I've decided to grow my hair out a few months ago. I'm 26.

DARKMARTIAN
November 21st, 2010, 07:54 PM
In some ways......I decided to grow it long from a very early age.......because I popped into this world with a full head-o-hair.....:)

But the legitimate answer to this inquiry would be something like around age 18 maybe......and im mad, because I should be able to wrap my hair around the world by now.....:mad: (had a significant cut or two though)

Hotrox
November 21st, 2010, 07:55 PM

It's been something like a Bob for about 15 years and I suddenly had this desire for long flowing hair :D

christine1989
November 21st, 2010, 08:05 PM
I hate to admit it but I sort of bought into the mindset that "I better grow my hair out again before I'm too old". I was around 20. since joining LHC though I have seen that long hair can look appropriate at any age as long as it is healthy and well cared for.

liagibba
November 21st, 2010, 08:13 PM
Welllll.... I demanded that my mother stop chopping and perming my hair when I was 16. I've had some major chops in my early 20s, but for the most part Ive had at least APL hair. My journey to grow to waist and take MUCH better care of my hair started in July of this year, I was 30 at the time. :)

BellCat
November 24th, 2010, 10:10 AM
from about 12 but i treated it very badly with heat and dye that its only really 8 years later i have realised i actually WANT it to grow long and have completely stopped using heat dye and co wash only :) now i'm obsessional lol

Xi
November 24th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Can't remember the exact age -- somewhere between 5 and 8. Never looked back since :)

Jezerellica
November 24th, 2010, 06:46 PM
As a little girl I just loved my long hair! I have always preferred it long. Most recent goals of having crazy long hair started after joining LHC! First I saw LLLs' Youtube videos and website. Her responses to my mail were so kind and fun! If that is not inspiration, I don't know what is!! Then she led me to LHC.

Nicolesid1
November 24th, 2010, 06:59 PM
originally in sixth grade (11 ish) after I cut my hair and people said that I had been wearing a wig for years. I have cut it off and on since then but for the most part long since but I decided last year so 23 to go super long to classic. YAY

Rabya-Khadija
November 24th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I never really decided to, I just had a very lazy few years not caring about what to do with it and only recently realised how long it actually was(hip) because I'd been curling it or tying it up and not paying much attention to the length, now I'm aiming for classic :D The bob I got a few years back was probably a good idea because otherwise my hair would be dead on the ends. When I was little I always had two really long plaits past my bum and one of those wonky kitchen scissor fringes haha.

Vermelha
November 24th, 2010, 09:10 PM
15, originally out of envy, but now it's just because. I don't even know the girl anymore, so I can't say I want her hair, lol...Oh, if I only knew then what I know now, I wonder how long my hair would be...

dreamsofthewind
November 24th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I was about 14 and had 2" long hair when I decided I would grow it long. But I only became serious about growing it long when I was 16.

dreamsofthewind
November 24th, 2010, 09:13 PM
oops, and I meant to continue with that.

I became serious about growing my hair long when I was 16 and APL, and I'm 17 now and almost almost almost almost waist.

Bombshell
November 24th, 2010, 09:21 PM
21 (my current age), I suppose.

I had long hair as a kid, then between shoulder and BSL throughout high school. Then I stopped paying attention (wore hair up constantly) and at 19 realized my hair was waist-length. Chopped it to just below shoulders just before my 20th bday, then in early fall (August 2009?) chopped at about chin... ack! Have had a few trims since then, now growing out... it's at APL now.

Druid of Alba
November 24th, 2010, 09:41 PM
I always loved, and wanted, long hair. Growing up, my parents always had my hair cut short. I remember crying when I was young, pleading them to let me grow it, but they still wouldn't let me. How awful! Anyhow, I don't think I ever decided to grow it. I always wanted to. Now, I'm 18, and I'm growing it long, at long last, forever! Oddly enough, my parents both like it! They don't mind the fact that I'm growing it long at all! I'm very... eccentric, though, so perhaps they've grown accustomed to my uniquness, and they're not bothered by it any more! I sure hope so! :D

SarahBeth
November 24th, 2010, 09:59 PM
30 years old when I decided to grow out pixie cut. that was Feb 2009. found LHC Aug 2010. so, been growing for 1 year 9 months

CrowningGlory
November 25th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I was a month or so off 13 when I decided to grow my hair and it came about because a boy I had a crush on asked me why I always wore my hair short. I'd never really given it a thought as Mum would take my sister and I off to the hairdresser every second month. But I've always been a long hair at heart because even as a little girl when playing dress-ups I'd always put something on my head and pretend it was long hair.

I've gone as short as shoulder length twice since that day I decided to grow it out. Once to remove dry ends after an anaesthetic (I was only 14 so hadn't been growing long and didn't have a lot of length to lose - I thought my heart would break!) and once to remove damage after a perm. I also cut to BSL after peer pressure (I was in my later 30s!) and kept it there a few years. It was when searching for hair styles for women my age that I stumbled across the long hair boards and decided to do what I wanted and grow my hair out.

looniac
November 25th, 2010, 11:15 AM

Since 19, I have chopped my hair off, had two super short pixies, donated to locks for love twice, and finally decided that I would like to have long luxurious ringlets once more. Let it grow, let it grow, let it grow!

Heartwillfollow
November 25th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I tried for the first time when I was 35 and got past apl,, daily blow dry and curling iron was the end of that adventure. Since then I learned to live without the heat and at 45 and LHC I'm trying again :)

littlestarface
November 25th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I always had long hair but when I decided to never cut it and grow as long as it can was about 10 years ago when I was 18. I havent had a major cut since then,just small trims.

nytquill
November 25th, 2010, 01:30 PM
I've never NOT wanted long hair. As soon as I was old enough to care what my hair looked like, I wanted to grow it out. My parents let me, so basically I've had long hair all my life (except for once when I was in preschool - too young to care anyway - and once after a misunderstanding with my hairdresser).

When I was a kid in the late 80s/early 90s it was because so many women around me were going for the "power bob" and I thought to myself, SOMEbody has to have long hair, I guess it'll be me! :lol: And I've just been a long hair advocate ever since.

But for most of my life I got regular trims, layers, whatever was "in"...I got the "Rachel" cut in middle school (who didn't? haha)... so my hair wasn't really gaining any length, but I always had what stylists consider "long hair."

It's only been within the past year that I really started actively trying to get my hair longer than it is. I had been at mid-back for years without any trims and just figured that was as long as my hair would get, although I wished it would grow longer. A friend with knee-length hair asked me, as I expressed my envy, if I ever put my hair up and I said no. She said "Hmm" and kind of frowned. Last year I joined LHC and realized what that "hmm" meant! That I probably wasn't my terminal length and if I was more careful with my hair I could get it longer! So I've been braiding and bunning and reading shampoo labels ever since :)

ravenlily
November 25th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I´ve wanted long hair for the last six months, but two months ago I decided I´m really going to work on it. So I searched on the internet, found lhc and can allready see a major difference on the quality of my hair after switching from box-dye to henna and started to CO.:D

EbonyCurls
November 25th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I always wanted long hair on some level, but it wasn't until I was 22 before I realized "hey, I can have long hair; all I need to do is stop cutting it." Sad, but true that it took that long for me to make the connect.

BeautifulBella
November 25th, 2010, 05:57 PM
I was 23 when I learned that I would be able to grow my hair long- as a woman of Afro-Caribbean descent, I always thought that only people of certain ethnicities could grow really long hair, and I accepted that as a fact. Then I started to search online and found all these pictures of black women with beautiful mid-back to waist-length hair and learned how to properly care for my hair.

I started from barely chin-length to currently mid-back length a year and a half later.

~BoHemiAngel~
November 26th, 2010, 01:55 PM
My decision to grow my hair long actually started with a gigantic chop- from mid back to shoulder length- because I wanted to cut off all the damage and start fresh. That was about a year and a half ago (so I was 28), and now my hair has grown out to BSL length again, but unfortunately the ends look as damaged as they did before I cut all that length off. I'm hoping that all the tips I get from hanging around here will help me grow out healthier hair!

~BoHemiAngel~
November 26th, 2010, 01:56 PM
(so I was 28),

Um, I don't know how that weird smiley face got in there, but it was supposed to say twenty-eight.

Wind Dragon
November 26th, 2010, 02:14 PM
38? 39? 39, by the time I transitioned from just not cutting it to consciously growing.