PDA

View Full Version : I Turned My Hair Into Mud

trillcat
November 17th, 2010, 02:03 AM
Oh yes you read that right, mud hair.
My very light blonde was being the nightmare I remembered, double process as my natural hair is dark blonde/brown ash, but pulls extreme red when bleached. As a result of this with the root touch ups, I ended up with a lot of different shades of blonde hair, none of it looking good. I would have had to do extreme remove all color from hair to fix it.
SO I went 2 shades darker to fix all the crazy a$$ things I did to it over the summer.
I was mud colored. Not blonde, not brown, mud.
I know it was because my hair is porous, I did not think it would pull that mych dye.
I looked at myself in the mirror just blinking and started to cry.
I never saw this color on any human.
About 5 washes later, with harsh stuff, laundry soap and dish soap, yea, I was that desperate, I got it to fade to an almost human color. But now my hair is trash.
Well duh!
Do I need protein now, just moisture? My hair still has elasticity, but is very dry (again duh!)
Help please!

Toadstool
November 17th, 2010, 02:10 AM
Confuzled! But I remember that mud colour thing happened to me when I went from bleached blonde coloured with manic panic orange and then the hairdresser tried to dye it dark brown.
I would use protein and moisturiser to make sure!
It will be okay!

Night_Kitten
November 17th, 2010, 04:14 AM
If your hair is pouros, then protein could help, and also loads of moisture wether you do the protein or not...
I know oils help with dry hair and also can lift some color off colored hair, so unless your hair hates oils I'd definitely reccommend it both as everyday oiling and as a pre-wash heavy oiling treatment.
Don't despair, it will be O.K :)

trillcat
November 17th, 2010, 06:06 AM
If your hair is pouros, then protein could help, and also loads of moisture wether you do the protein or not...
I know oils help with dry hair and also can lift some color off colored hair, so unless your hair hates oils I'd definitely reccommend it both as everyday oiling and as a pre-wash heavy oiling treatment.
Don't despair, it will be O.K :)

I did a deep oiling with olive oil yesterday, its still on my hair now, still smelling like a deep fryer lol.
I think I lifted about as much as is going to lift, its not really bad now, color wise, but still a bit odd., well its of course very weird looking now with the oil, will see what happens when I get to the rinse cycle of this, but I dont think its going to lift anymore.
The top part of my head is great, nice dark blonde, bit of gold in there, just what I was going for, the rest, well, still a bit ashy, the best I can describe it is the color "Downtown Brown" if anyone has seen that color, sort of a light brown/dark blonde silvery color. Kind of pretty but does not match the rest of my head.
My concern is the condition of the hair after I beat the living you know what out it with the very harsh detergents.
Do you ladies and gents think an ACV soak will help? I didn't want to do it for fear of my hair breaking off.

aenflex
November 17th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I am so sorry about what happened to you. Sometimes I don't trust myself with DIY, at least not without at least consulting a pro or watching some videos or something :) I really feel for you. I honestly would just leave it alone for a bit, were it me. Alternate between some protein and moisture and just be gentle with it. I find ACV to be very drying, but it will help yor cuticles lay flatter...

spitfire511
November 17th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Ive no sage advice other than to keep up with the deep conditioning. - I had that happen once, my hair looked like it had been freeze-dried. Hugs and good luck!!!

Monkie
November 17th, 2010, 07:59 AM
I would try going over it with a semipermanent dye. I've done this to my hair before, if your hair is porous, it helps a lot. Also, if you're going to go from bleached to darker, make sure to use FILLER. They sell this at beauty supply stores in little vials, you can add it in to any kind of dye, it's great.
Aphogee treatment is good if you need protein, or just oil it a lot if you need moisture, Coconut and Jojoba oils are especially great.
Maybe it's time for an eensy trim too?

trillcat
November 17th, 2010, 08:00 AM
I am so sorry about what happened to you. Sometimes I don't trust myself with DIY, at least not without at least consulting a pro or watching some videos or something :) I really feel for you. I honestly would just leave it alone for a bit, were it me. Alternate between some protein and moisture and just be gentle with it. I find ACV to be very drying, but it will help yor cuticles lay flatter...

You know, when ever I post now, everyone should just start whatever they are saying to me with this, "STOP MESSING WITH YOUR HAIR COLOR!"
*sigh*
I am treating it very gentile now, like fine lace as the saying goes here. I found out though my hair is remarkably strong. Still with the proper elasticity for hair. I live alone, I showed it to my cat, "Look, my hair isn't breaking!" She was not impressed.

aenflex
November 17th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Haha, my cats don't give a poo about my hair either, no matter how much I try to splain it to them :)

Maverick494
November 17th, 2010, 11:32 AM
When I first dyed over my chemically bleached hair with swarzkopf dark blonde hair dye, it looked like mud as well. At first I was mortified, but because it was so dry I didn't dare dyeing it again. So I waited and sure enough, the colour started to fade and settled to a nice colour after a few weeks. Give it some time, don't fool around too much with clarifying shampoos and the lot. Pamper your hair.

lundmir
November 17th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Definitely moisturize and pamper it. Coconut oil is wonderful for mine. I've been there, hope you get a color you like.

trillcat
November 17th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I would try going over it with a semipermanent dye. I've done this to my hair before, if your hair is porous, it helps a lot. Also, if you're going to go from bleached to darker, make sure to use FILLER. They sell this at beauty supply stores in little vials, you can add it in to any kind of dye, it's great.
Aphogee treatment is good if you need protein, or just oil it a lot if you need moisture, Coconut and Jojoba oils are especially great.
Maybe it's time for an eensy trim too?
My first instinct was to run to the store to get more dye, I am glad I didn't because Im sure I would have looked even more of a hot mess. From silver to red, well, it would be in the holiday spirit of things!
Seriously though, yea, I should have filled the bottom half of my hair you are quite correct.
Oh I need more than an eensy trim, but the scraggly ends just reached my waist and I dont have stones to cut it just yet!
The one good thing here, no hair breakage, thank you hair Gods and Goddesses.

Spike
November 17th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Goodness, trillcat!!! Sending loves and sympathy for the hair woes--pat, pat, pat.

All right, just let your hair be for a while. Dyes FADE, remember? That's the most common plaint when we color our hair--"I rinsed and got the most awesomest color EVAR, and it only lasted two weeks. Wah!!!"

So chill. Do the things your hair loves, let the dye keep lifting on its own. Put it up if you can't stand looking at it.

And hey--cheese! Cheese always helps. :cheese:

Kome
November 17th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Aloe vera gel and Suave almond and shea butter conditioner. Those are both really cheap and work wonders, but it will also take time for your hair to "calm down".

Sooze
November 17th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I agree with Aemflex. Alternate between a good protein treatment and then loads of moisture - oiling would be my recommendation. (((hug)))

My cat doesn't care about my hair either. ;) Cant understand why we don't have fur......

Calaelen
November 17th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Hairstylist here.

Okay, I will say sorry first because my next line is going to sound mean, even thought it is said with the best of intentions. "Sorry". So, here goes... "You should never be in charge of chemically processing your own hair!" (This is only directed at you, because I am always saying the exact opposite all over the site to people based on their needs), "Seriously! STEP AWAY!"

Now I'll explain why I just flipped. The porosity of your hair is exactly what holds colour. The more porous, the more it soaks up, just like a sponge. That is why if you want to use a colour such as manic panic, or Special FX, you bleach first, to create porosity(not fot the light canvass, though it helps). If you were under the impression that your porous hair would soak up less colour, then you maybe shouldn't be in charge...I am so sorry, I sound like a catty, evil, mean, know-it-all stylist here, and I don't like being mean, but I am trying to save you from yourself.

Many dyes are not true to their colour charts either, so it is probably not entirely your fault, and if you pull a lot of red when you go lighter, I am willing to bet you're not an ash tone either but a neutral, or even a gold, without realizing it. Ash is a cold tone such as green or blue, not grey as many people think. It doesn't usually pull a lot of red. That might have been part of the problem.

So now for the advice you can use...YES to ACV, it will neutralize all the alkaline treatments you just put your hair through, and yes to treating it like fine lace, yes to conditioning, whatever methods you like best, and give protein a try. Some hair loves it, some hair hates it. You probably need some right now, though.

From now on, since I wasn't truly serious about no do-it-yourself, I would try to go with neutral colours when doing your hair at home, and for a really great, way less damaging, brand, there is Clairol Natural Instincts, which is a no ammonia semi-permanent (which is actually EXTREMELY permanent in results) These particular colours go way darker than they say though, so go at least 2 shades lighter than you think you want. This is my favourite store bought colour, and the one I use on myself, even over more pricey professional ones I have available to me.

trillcat
November 17th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Hairstylist here.

Okay, I will say sorry first because my next line is going to sound mean, even thought it is said with the best of intentions. "Sorry". So, here goes... "You should never be in charge of chemically processing your own hair!" (This is only directed at you, because I am always saying the exact opposite all over the site to people based on their needs), "Seriously! STEP AWAY!"

Now I'll explain why I just flipped. The porosity of your hair is exactly what holds colour. The more porous, the more it soaks up, just like a sponge. That is why if you want to use a colour such as manic panic, or Special FX, you bleach first, to create porosity(not fot the light canvass, though it helps). If you were under the impression that your porous hair would soak up less colour, then you maybe shouldn't be in charge...I am so sorry, I sound like a catty, evil, mean, know-it-all stylist here, and I don't like being mean, but I am trying to save you from yourself.

Many dyes are not true to their colour charts either, so it is probably not entirely your fault, and if you pull a lot of red when you go lighter, I am willing to bet you're not an ash tone either but a neutral, or even a gold, without realizing it. Ash is a cold tone such as green or blue, not grey as many people think. It doesn't usually pull a lot of red. That might have been part of the problem.

So now for the advice you can use...YES to ACV, it will neutralize all the alkaline treatments you just put your hair through, and yes to treating it like fine lace, yes to conditioning, whatever methods you like best, and give protein a try. Some hair loves it, some hair hates it. You probably need some right now, though.

From now on, since I wasn't truly serious about no do-it-yourself, I would try to go with neutral colours when doing your hair at home, and for a really great, way less damaging, brand, there is Clairol Natural Instincts, which is a no ammonia semi-permanent (which is actually EXTREMELY permanent in results) These particular colours go way darker than they say though, so go at least 2 shades lighter than you think you want. This is my favourite store bought colour, and the one I use on myself, even over more pricey professional ones I have available to me.

No need to say sorry, I am a goofy fool for doing what I did. Everything you said about hair and a sponge, I already knew, and did it anyway. Let me and my mud hair be a gentile warning to you all! At least it didn't turn out green!
My natural hair is ash though, looks like sink water, I am the dishwater blonde/brown but it always pulls red,they are the under colors coverd by the ash.
Natural Instincts, I have a love hate with them. "Brass Free Brunettes" Brass free my*swear words rhymes with grass*
I was a red bronze copper calico head. It was awsome, lol, I liked it, but not what I was going for, and most defiantly not brass free. I think some of my my pics in my profile are the calico pics!
ETA: even though I matched the cat , she was still not impressed

spidermom
November 17th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Hats. Scarves. Patience.

New undamaged hair will be growing along pretty soon.