PDA

View Full Version : Hair typing

Tia2010
November 16th, 2010, 08:35 PM
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j468/Tiablueeyez/Hair%20journey/287.jpg First sorry about the huge pictures I haven't figured out how to resize them yet ( First time using a photo site) but I wanted to ask for some help with hair typing.... This is my hair after I washed , conditioned w/SMT , let it air dry and then combed through. No products in my hair.

I'm thinking I'm a 2a/2b f/m ii ( on the lower side of ii) does that seem right ? Thanks all :)

you can also see the dreaded layers I'm growning out :rolleyes:
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j468/Tiablueeyez/Hair%20journey/290.jpg

also sorry for the bad lighting ...I need some new bulbs!

melikai
November 16th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Hi :)

For "proper" hairtyping, you need to wash as you usually do (no SMTs), and not comb it - really touch it as little as possible!

HTH!

Cheeks1206
November 16th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Hi :)

For "proper" hairtyping, you need to wash as you usually do (no SMTs), and not comb it - really touch it as little as possible!

HTH!

I agree with this. Check out the articles section, I'm sure there's something about it over there.

If I had to base your texture on the pictures above, I would put you in the 1a-c section. It doesn't look like there is much wave going on.

kschr2004
November 16th, 2010, 09:21 PM
For thickness, I would say you are either a ii/iii or a iii, from looking at your pictures. I agree that you are more like a 1b or 1c if this is your natural texture.

Tia2010
November 16th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Ahhh...thank you for the link to the article ! So next time I will wash , condition , rinse and not comb at all then let it dry ( without touching it :)) Oh can I rinse with ACV or just water for this ?

I picked 2a/b because when my hair is short it has very definite wave , but as it grew the waves pulled straight, I guess I was figuring that into the typing instead of just looking at what I am now..... I'm guessing I will now probably be in the 1 category instead of the 2's now and as it grows longer . I put F/M because my stylist always said you have fine-ish (?) hair but alot of it... and I picked ii because it seemed closest :)

I will try again next hair washing to do this the right way :)

share801
November 17th, 2010, 01:07 AM
You can measure your pony tail circumfrence to see if you are "officially" a ii or iii.

jojo
November 17th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I think your 1b/c as I dont really see any S waves, though you have layers which also makes it more difficult to assess type. I think your hair type will be more apparent when your hair is around BSL.

GoddesJourney
November 17th, 2010, 09:28 AM
1c? I can see some minor waving in the back, despite the lighting, but the rest is pretty straight. I'm a 1c/2a and my hair looks like yours if I shampoo the whole thing or if I don't wash it long enough for the oils to weigh it down a bit, as in it hangs just a little straighter.

Tia2010
November 17th, 2010, 09:48 AM
You can measure your pony tail circumfrence to see if you are "officially" a ii or iii.

this is a silly question but if I put the pony tail on top my head (so all the layers and hair are in it) do I then measure under the pony tail holder closest to my head or measure the hair on the top side of the pony tail holder to get the measurement ? ....does that make sense at all :confused:

melikai
November 17th, 2010, 03:29 PM
You measure the circumference - all the way around. :)

lapushka
November 18th, 2010, 07:10 AM
this is a silly question but if I put the pony tail on top my head (so all the layers and hair are in it) do I then measure under the pony tail holder closest to my head or measure the hair on the top side of the pony tail holder to get the measurement ? ....does that make sense at all :confused:

Shouldn't make a difference. Just don't include the elastic.

When your hair is still fairly short and you have layers that are barely in the elastic, it might be better to measure under the hair elastic (not "under" literally but closest to your head). Pull it from your head a tiny bit so you can measure. A piece of string rather than a wide tape measure might help in that case.

Tia2010
November 18th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Thanks . I pulled my hair into a ponytail on top my head then measured the circumference of the part of the ponytail closest to my head... it was at almost 4 inches . Then I measured again and I pulled the string more snug around it and it was at 3.5.... so I'm guessing 3.5 is the more accurate .... so it's ii :)