PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with baby hairs?

Eirinn
June 1st, 2008, 12:41 PM
I have them all around my hairline and on the top of my head. So when I put bangs up I have black halo in front and when I do parting on the middle and comb sides like for braids (and, worse, it's windy) I end up with stupid standind-up hair on the top...:confused:

Oh, and aloe gel isn't an idea since it's not on hand in this darn country:mad:

I'll be grateful for any tips:flower:

FrannyG
June 1st, 2008, 12:45 PM
I have a lot of them all around my hairline, and I just embrace them. They really don't bother me at all--even the ones in the back that have a sideways cowlick and show up like crazy in updos. To me it's just a bit of character and a pattern that's uniquely my own.

hurricane_gia
June 1st, 2008, 12:50 PM
No Aloe??? But . . .but . . . what does everyone do for sunburns? :bigeyes:

If you can get a live plant of Aloe Vera (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloe_vera), they make decent house plants and you could extract the gel right out of the leaves.

For my wispy baby hairs, I use Shea butter (rub the Shea on my hands, then smooth my hands over my hair). OR, I make a smoothing cream from Shea, Conditioner, and Coconut Oil, and I smooth that stuff over my hair. Neither of these solutions makes the hairs lay down and behave . . .but it makes them curl, and if they curl up tight enough they look very cute.

Is there anything you know of that makes your baby hairs stick out worse than usual? For example, if you know that they are more annoying on dry, windy days, then you could work keep your hair moist and out of the wind (maybe in a scarf).

Gladtobemom
June 1st, 2008, 12:51 PM
Aloe Gel.

I use Fruit of the Earth Aloe gel to smooth them dow.

Eirinn
June 1st, 2008, 12:57 PM
No Aloe??? But . . .but . . . what does everyone do for sunburns? :bigeyes:

If you can get a live plant of Aloe Vera (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloe_vera), they make decent house plants and you could extract the gel right out of the leaves.

For my wispy baby hairs, I use Shea butter (rub the Shea on my hands, then smooth my hands over my hair). OR, I make a smoothing cream from Shea, Conditioner, and Coconut Oil, and I smooth that stuff over my hair. Neither of these solutions makes the hairs lay down and behave . . .but it makes them curl, and if they curl up tight enough they look very cute.

Is there anything you know of that makes your baby hairs stick out worse than usual? For example, if you know that they are more annoying on dry, windy days, then you could work keep your hair moist and out of the wind (maybe in a scarf).

No Shea Butter here:D
For sunburns we have eg Propolis
Idea of growing my own Aloe plant is good but I've just read somewhere here that it gives only juice, not gel:confused:

Koskaan
June 1st, 2008, 01:06 PM
I have a lot of baby hairs. I usually just let them do whatever they want or push them behind my ears (some of them are long enough for that).

If your baby hairs don't yet reach your bun, maybe they could be braided into double French or Dutch braids. Or you could try headbands or scarves.

Eirinn
June 1st, 2008, 01:25 PM
I have a lot of baby hairs. I usually just let them do whatever they want or push them behind my ears (some of them are long enough for that).

If your baby hairs don't yet reach your bun, maybe they could be braided into double French or Dutch braids. Or you could try headbands or scarves.

They're 0.5" - 1" long... And it's getting wayyy to hot for scarfs or even headbands:shrug:

Saranne772
June 1st, 2008, 01:46 PM
Ahh I just love my baby hairs because they form curls.

hurricane_gia
June 1st, 2008, 01:46 PM
Idea of growing my own Aloe plant is good but I've just read somewhere here that it gives only juice, not gel:confused:

Juice, Gel . . . it all works the same on your hair.

Actually, the most of the commercially available Gel has stuff added to it to make it more solid. Aloe Vera Juice is what you really want.

As for what comes out of the plant's leaves, it is thick, gooey juice. It's almost like mucus (Eeeeeeuw!). But it's good for hair and sunburns.

The leaves have spiny edges, so you will need to trim those off. Then, you can either squeeze the goo out of the leaf, or slice the leaf in half lengthwise (like slicing open a bagel) and scrape out the goo. If you decide to scrape, you will be able to get more out of the plant, but you will have to strain the lumps out. Just squeeze it through some cheesecloth.

The best thing about growing it yourself is that your aloe juice will always be "fresh." You'll never have to worry about refrigerating it.

hurricane_gia
June 1st, 2008, 01:53 PM
No Shea Butter here:D
For sunburns we have eg Propolis

I have the urge to buy some Propolis and put it on my hair, just to see what happens. :)

If you don't have Shea butter, do you have Cocoa Butter? There must be something; surely there are health food stores where people who like to make their own lotions and soaps can buy ingredients for them?

This one is untested, but I have heard about people using straight gelatin on their hair. This is the ingredient that jam and jelly makers add to their fruit mush to make it turn into jam or jelly. In the US, you buy gelatin at grocery stores or wherever canning jars are sold. Anyway, it's a powder, but when you add water or liquid it "jells." And some people use it in their hair. I have not done this and don't know how LHC-friendly it is. Maybe someone else knows?

If all else fails, find a woman who was alive during the war, and ask her what she did with her hair when cosmetics and beauty supplies were rationed.

Phalaenopsis
June 1st, 2008, 02:14 PM
I also just leave them be :) They've never bothered me and don't feel the need to get annoyed about it and start using gell or something.

Pegasus Marsters
June 1st, 2008, 03:25 PM
I didn't read the whole thread but I find it helps to put a wee bit of conditioner on my hands then smooth it over my hair to tame those baby hairs down. But you only need a SMALL amount, or else you get greasy hair :)

daydreamer
June 1st, 2008, 04:25 PM
I used to use a teeny bit of hair gel on mine -- they particularly grow down my part sticking straight up! Nowadays I've just stopped caring, heheh -- I let them stick out all over.
I think certain hair washing regimes can help though, like conditioner only or water only. When I was doing WO I remember they were far tamer.

Tap Dancer
June 1st, 2008, 04:26 PM
I actually like my baby hairs. They "soften" my hairline and look cute. Embrace them! :)