PDA

View Full Version : Parachute(coconut) oil smell?

woodswanderer
November 16th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I recently got some Parachute brand coconut oil from a local Indian grocery store, and I am concerned about the smell. It was sealed, BTW. It smells different than the last stuff I had, which was organic unrefined virgin coconut oil. This Parachute oil still smells kinda coconuty, but it also has a slight weird savory smell like a hint of char grilled meat. Is it a bad batch? I don't see any expiration date. Any thoughts?:confused:

enfys
November 16th, 2010, 10:38 AM
AFAIK, Parachute is made with coconuts of a different age. Like how an unripe banana tastes different to a really ripe spotty one.

Copra coconuts it what they use, dried coconut meat. It's unrefined.

I haven't used it but I've read a smokey smell is normal.

woodswanderer
November 16th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Yeah, that is it. Sorta smoky. I thought I was putting rotten oil on my hair. I wonder, if because it is in a different age/stage, does it work as effectively...absorbing into the hair, etc?

woodswanderer
November 16th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Thank you for your input. I was wondering about throwing it out. Now I feel better about it.

curlycrocheter
November 16th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I love Parachute brand coconut oil! it's my absolute favorite. My problem was, the indian grocery stores were too far away for me to buy it consistently. So I always bought 2 or three bottles at a time. It makes my hair much silkier than other brands I've tried. But I just moved, so there is an indian grocery just outside my door...literally!

As for the smell. I like the smell of this brand the best also. I like to smell like coconuts. And this one has the most "authentic" coconut smell to me. Much more robust or rich than other brands of coconut oil I've tried