PDA

View Full Version : First hair toy for wife

mra1984
November 16th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Hi all,

Any recommendations on a hair toy I could buy (in the UK) for my wife? She is a beginner so nothing too advanced yet!
She is new to long hair; has 24" straight black chinese hair

Thanks so much for your ideas
Matthew

salls
November 16th, 2010, 07:30 AM
I suggest a hair stick, try tribu.co.uk

Tabitha
November 16th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Why not show her some photos of hair sticks, forks, barrettes and Ficcares to see what appeals to her? there are many many many such photos on here, because we all love to share our pretty things.

Some people with very straight hair such as you describe find it's very slippery and that's something to take into consideration.

Sundial
November 16th, 2010, 08:04 AM
It will also depend on the thickness of her hair.

It can be quite frustrating for a beginner to work with hair sticks and such - I know I got annoyed and wanted to give up when hair sticks kept sliding out of my hair.

I cannot really visualize how long 24" is, but if it is anything around my length, you could probably start off with claw clips or Flexi-8s. Those will be easier for her to handle if she doesn't have much experience with sticks.

Kome
November 16th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I would say a Ficcare or a hair fork. Search for "cinnamon bun" on Youtube and a bunch of videos of how to do buns will come up. This will help her get started. Hair sticks are a little harder to work with and take some practice, but a Ficcare would be the easiest, I think it's the most versatile, and they're very pretty. Check out their website.

For hair forks I'd recommend Baerreis (sp?) or 60th street forks. Good luck! :)

MommaRalph
November 16th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Another vote for Ficcare here. Will hold for her even if a hairstick won't!

How kind of you, by the way! :)

Valerie

enfys
November 16th, 2010, 09:32 AM
How does she wear her hair? Different toys hold better for different people. In Selfridges there is a concession called Cherry Chau (or similar!) that sell Ficarre clips; I would strongly recommend she tries one before she buys.

If sticks could be a route she wants to go down, pencils and food chopsticks are a great way to test how they hold!

I used sticks 6 or 7 years before I tried Ficarres, forks or flexi-8s and still find them best for many styles.

There is so much choice it's an absolute minefield, but there should be something she likes!

linda g
November 16th, 2010, 10:04 AM
What is her "style", in general? Does she like flowery things, bold things, simple designs, earthy things?

TrudieCat
November 16th, 2010, 10:28 AM
It seems to me that it might be more helpful to ask her what she wants instead of asking strangers who don't know her or her style. A good place to get ideas is the hair toy links list, found here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=13927).

mwedzi
November 16th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I would say a Ficcare or a hair fork. Search for "cinnamon bun" on Youtube and a bunch of videos of how to do buns will come up. This will help her get started. Hair sticks are a little harder to work with and take some practice, but a Ficcare would be the easiest, I think it's the most versatile, and they're very pretty. Check out their website.

For hair forks I'd recommend Baerreis (sp?) or 60th street forks. Good luck! :)

I totally agree with this post. Good luck!

wendyg
November 16th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I'd agree with the Ficcare (probably a medium Maximas) or hair fork suggestion (and for the hair fork I'd suggest 60th Street, because their forks are of such consistent quality and IME easier for a beginner than Baerreis's shapes).

With Ficcares, you could find someone who carries them locally and take her in to look at them and choose one.

wg

Angelica
November 17th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Hi, I love scrunchies. I am guessing her hair is pretty thick, so at 24 inches her hair is the same length as mine and mine works well in a bun or a braid or French pleat. There are some lovely combs around for French Braids, braids - I would experiment with scrunchies, especially if your wife likes wearing her braid tucked up and a bun would look nice with a stick.

As you are in the UK, Claire's Accessories seems to be the favourite place to visit.

Recently I purchased two lovely jewelled hair clasps from Debenhams, the costume jewellers section which had a sale on.

I think it is great that you are looking for hair accessories for your wife. So much nicer and more romantic than what most men want to buy for their wives/girlfriends.

wendyg
November 17th, 2010, 01:18 PM
mra: I failed to spot that you're in the UK. I'd suggest you take a look through www.stone-bridge.co.uk - the items there are expensive but of exceptionally good quality.

A headband might be nice.

wg