PDA

View Full Version : Anybody had no difference swapping from cones to no cones?

KittyLost
November 16th, 2010, 03:19 AM
I've been ignorantly using cones for all my life until recently when I started using a no-cone conditioner, I've been using it a while now so I expected to see some changes.

I've read people noticing drastic changes with their hair when changing from cones to no cones but there has been no change with my hair. Changes such as they see the damage their hair was in that cones were hiding.

My CWC routine is a coney conditioner that gets washed out with the W then I use a no cone conditioner all-over before rinsing that out too. Is this why I haven't noticed a difference from going from cones to no cones?

Or is my hair just not bothered by cones and no-cones? Can anyone help me understand this? Has anyone experienced this themself?

Marjolein
November 16th, 2010, 03:44 AM
My hair also doesn't seem to grasp the difference between coney and non-coney conditioners. It reacts the same to both types. (psst - It also behaves quite well on SL(E)S, I might add).

Perhaps it's the case that if your hair was already pretty healthy when on cones, you won't see a big difference when getting off them? At least my hair was virgin and well taken care of when I quit cones :shrug:.

pepperminttea
November 16th, 2010, 04:36 AM
My CWC routine is a coney conditioner that gets washed out with the W then I use a no cone conditioner all-over before rinsing that out too. Is this why I haven't noticed a difference from going from cones to no cones?

I'd guess that's why, yes. (Unless your shampoo has cones?) Whenever I use a cone-y serum it takes a few washes before my hair's back to normal, so using a coney condish for your first C probably hangs around longer than you might think.

2peasinapod
November 16th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Some people's hair actually likes cones. Everyone is different. Congratulations on finding a routine that works for your hair :)

chelles2kids
November 16th, 2010, 07:50 AM
For me personally the only difference that I notice between 'cone & no 'cones is the build up on my hair.

I say if you're hair is happy with 'cones, why change?
Experimenting is always fun & we won't know until we try something different/new whether or not our hair will be healthier but if 'cones work for you, then just stick with them.;)

Aredhel77
November 16th, 2010, 08:00 AM
My hair is happy with or without cones. I moved over to using mainly non-coney organic conditioners as I prefer using more natural ingredients :)

SpinDance
November 16th, 2010, 08:04 AM
I pretty much ignored cones/no cones for a long time, and most times I used cones and thought my hair liked them just fine. After joining LHC I've been slowly trying things and changing my routines to see if something will work better. My experience has been that as I get my hair better moisturized and use more oils that the cones don't mix well with that, for me. When I finally tried a 2-week no-cones experiment, continuing to use the oils as I had been, my hair seemed to somewhat slowly get silkier and softer. It was basically a success, so I have kept with it. I've also stopped using anything with protein.

After about a month of no cones I tried a coney conditioner again and got a bunch of tangles and stiffness in my ends. I probably had the stiffness and tangles before, but thought it was dryness, and put coney serums on to help.

I'm continuing with the oils, lightly after washing on damp hair, and heavily the night before I'll wash it, and using cone-free products. I've done CWC since I found LHC, but recently I've been doing more CO washings. When using cones I did not have good success with CO washing, but that could have been other factors. These days it is working quite well. I'm only using shampoo once a week or less. In fact, I'd have to check my book, but I don't think I've used shampoo for 2-3 weeks now.

little_cherry
November 16th, 2010, 08:35 AM
To me, you're still using cones. It takes much more than a shampoo to strip cones from the hair-- clarifying usually gets rid of cones since they're notoriously known to build up.

Cheeks1206
November 16th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I did not notice a difference when I stopped using cone-y products. When I dropped the cones it was because I stopped using SLS shampoos, so I guess I wasn't really looking for any results related to that. The absence of SLS made a HUGE difference, however.

punkcatknitter
November 16th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I didn't notice a difference at all, until I decided to go back to cones. Then when I saw a picture of my hair compared with when I wasn't using cones, I couldn't believe how thin and greasy it looked by comparison!

Stephichan
November 16th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I don't notice a very large difference between cones and no cones. The one thing I've experienced is that before I dropped cones I had a period of a few weeks where my hair had the worst static buildup ever. I could not touch it without it flying around like crazy. Ever since I limited cone exposure I have had no problem whatsoever with static.

woodswanderer
November 16th, 2010, 10:37 AM
When I tried no cones, my hair seemed good at first, but then go tangly soooo easy. The only thing I have tried and stuck with it coconut oil.

nemileo
November 16th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Maybe little_cherry has a point? I guess you might not be rid of all the cones in your hair, and therefor don`t feel mutch difference yet. Or maybe you will not feel any difference what so ever because your hair is healthy/resistant to cones/loves no-cones, or any other option? It is never easy to tell since we all have sutch different hair.

When I decided to quit cones I didn`t feel any difference either unthil after about a month and a half. When I first started using ACV rinses it seemed like my hair got clearified and stripped from cones, and then became a tangly nightmare for a while. And after a lot of moisturizing with oils and conditioner it is now a lot nicer than with cones. It seemed the cones kept it really dry, and the moist had to be replaced when the cones left.

rosieex3
November 16th, 2010, 11:09 AM
In the state that my hair is in now (very chemically damaged), it needs cones to lock in the moisture, maybe protect it more, and appear soft & silky. I clarify when needed as well. My hair is a lot happier with cones. I went cone free all summer, and I've never noticed so many breakage and split ends on my hair in my life by the end of the summer. Also, my hair was incredibly dry, crunchy, fragile, dead looking, and tangled. I was really confused, since I've been conditioner only washing. The minute I clarified and co-washed with Herbal Essences' Hello Hydration (coney condish), I was AMAZED at how soft and nice my hair was. I will be sticking with cones for sure!

Tia2010
November 16th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I was using all SLS shampoos and coney condishioners and then using lots of leave in sprays and shine serums that were mostly all cones , so when I switched to no SLS and no cones I did notice a difference.

My hair is just "more alive" looking now and feels softer . I did get a inch cut off my lenght not long after my switch and I find with my new routine my hair behaves and looks much better . I still use a serum with cones sometimes if I feel the need but its few and far between.

KittyLost
December 2nd, 2010, 03:54 AM
Thanks for all your ideas guys. I think it must be that I'm not truly rid of cones as I'm still using them and not getting rid of all of them during the shampoo. It's still working okay right now though so I guess I'll give no cones a try once I've used up all my coney conditioners :)

Thanks everyone!

Lianna
December 2nd, 2010, 04:00 AM
My hair also doesn't seem to grasp the difference between coney and non-coney conditioners. It reacts the same to both types. (psst - It also behaves quite well on SL(E)S, I might add).

Same here.

milagro
December 2nd, 2010, 04:42 AM
I did notice the difference, big time. Having very recently joined LHC I decided to try CO washing and no-cone routine. I'd used cones heavily for years. I did an SLS wash (turned out I overdid a bit :) ) to get rid of them and saw the difference instantly. On the good side, my hair got body and natural wave/curls, on the bad side my ends look more damaged and I don't get that coney gloss. As it's been a really quick change I think the damage was there before and cones just smoothed and concealed it. No bad thing but a bit deceiving.
So now I'm going to go on with my new routine, have lots of natural deep treatment and be very very careful with cones - maybe only use them on my tips for better look if nothing else works.
I would suggest going no-cone and see what happens :) You can always go back to using them if it works better for you.

ETA: I also noticed my hair dries a lot faster without cones.

madeline_
December 2nd, 2010, 06:50 AM
I dabbled with conefree CO over the summer, and lost a lòt of hair due to buildup and more tangles. I'm now back to diluted sls-free washes and coney conditioner up to the ear. I don't think some cheaper cone-free conditioners are harmless, they build up too.

Apart from henna and oils, I've replaced my trust in conventional products. No poo was the most serious bust I've had in all my experiments with natural washes, never again!

MadisonMelrose
December 2nd, 2010, 07:36 AM
In the state that my hair is in now (very chemically damaged), it needs cones to lock in the moisture, maybe protect it more, and appear soft & silky. I clarify when needed as well. My hair is a lot happier with cones. I went cone free all summer, and I've never noticed so many breakage and split ends on my hair in my life by the end of the summer. Also, my hair was incredibly dry, crunchy, fragile, dead looking, and tangled. I was really confused, since I've been conditioner only washing. The minute I clarified and co-washed with Herbal Essences' Hello Hydration (coney condish), I was AMAZED at how soft and nice my hair was. I will be sticking with cones for sure!

I just clarified my damaged hair last night to remove cone build up and followed with and smt. My hair looks so light and fluffy and feels much healthier BUT, i don't think it looks better. Does damaged hair typically need cones to look good?