PDA

View Full Version : Help with braids please!

Toadstool
June 1st, 2008, 09:55 AM
My hair currently looks awful because i'm growing out a dyed bob that was razor thinned by a hairdresser.The front of my hair is two inches past jaw length apart from various layers and the back doesn't even come to my collar. The top inch and a half is grey, the niddle is pinkish red and the bottom is dark red. The dyed bits are damaged and dry.
So...
today I put it in microbraids and beads - apart fromthe back which is too short and it looks pretty cool! I oiled the braids with coconut oil to try to get rid of some of the dryness. i would like to keep the braids in for as long as possible though I'm happy to rebraid from time to time.
Does anyone know how I can seal the braids without damaging the ends? I'm using Claire's "No more snags" hair elastics but I'm not convinced of their safety
Also should I oil regularly? What about the scalp? Can I still wash my hair regularly? I am caucasian so I think the answers may be different from if I had African hair

spidermom
June 1st, 2008, 11:48 AM
This sounds like a great plan for summer hair care.

I use a 1- to 2-inch strip of ribbon, wet it, wrap it around and around the end of my braid, then apply the elastic over that. It holds well, protects my ends, and doesn't leave that ugly dent when I remove the braid.

Washing a head full of braids is easiest if you put some water and shampoo in a squirt bottle, shake well, then squirt all over your scalp, massage carefully in one direction from forehead toward nape, then rinse-rinse-rinse.

My braids stay in best with some oil and either styling gel or aloe vera gel. Even so, they get fluffy-looking really fast.

Pegasus Marsters
June 1st, 2008, 02:38 PM
I really don't think those no snag elastics do much harm, you mean the little plasticy ones right? I've used them and saw no damage atall :) Plus you can always oil your ends whilst they're in the braids!:)

Toadstool
June 1st, 2008, 09:51 PM
Spidermom - thanks very much for the tips - much appreciated. They are already fluffy after one night!
Pegasus Marsters - thanks I may keep using them then. Although they keep breaking and falling out.

Next qustion: is there any way I can stop my scalp itching from the braids pulling - they're not that tight- or is it something you can used to?

kwaniesiam
June 1st, 2008, 10:50 PM
Your scalp will adjust to them in a few days, and a tiny bit of new growth at the roots will help loosen them to be more comfortable. HTH :)

I second the squirt bottle to wash, just don't over oil them or your braids might end getting too oily and coming out.

Phalaenopsis
June 2nd, 2008, 03:10 AM
If the elastics keep breaking and fall out, maybe you've put them to tight around the tassles.

Toadstool
June 2nd, 2008, 03:31 AM
better go out and buy a squirt bottle then!
and maybe loosen my elastics...

coppercurls
June 2nd, 2008, 03:54 AM
To keep the fluffiness to a minimum-before bed mist your braids & apply some AVG and wrap your braids & head with a silk scarf or doo rag. I have micros in my avatar pic & I kept those in for a bit over 2 months. You can also buy braid spray in most stores that sell African hair care products. African Pride is a really good one. It will help moisturize your braids & ease your scalp discomfort. I can't remember what all it has in it, but thete was a lot of good herb stuff & it feels divine. Peppermint EO & water spritzed on the scalp also helps.

A squirt bottle is your best friend when it comes to washing your braids. Gently wash your scalp & let the sudsy water run through your braids & gently pat them to make sure the 'poo gets all the way through. Also be careful with the water pressure. I undid several braids with high water pressure. HTH

Toadstool
June 2nd, 2008, 05:08 AM
Wow Copper curls thanks for all the advice. Could I just ask-what am I supposed to be misting my braids with? Also what is AVG and how/where do I apply it?

coppercurls
June 2nd, 2008, 06:11 AM
AVG= Aloe Vera Gel. As far as misting goes, you can buy pre-made commercial braid sprays, or you can make one to your own liking. I keep a mister bottle with a wee bit of glycerine & lavender essential oil. A little bit of these ingredients goes a long way. My hair loves this mixture. If you check on the recipe board there are tons of misting mixtures. The purpose of misting is to add additional moisture & cut down on frizz.

spidermom
June 2nd, 2008, 08:23 AM
better go out and buy a squirt bottle then!
and maybe loosen my elastics...

Try the bit of ribbon I mentioned earlier. It makes a huge difference. You can buy a color close to your hair color if you don't want a colorful accent.