PDA

View Full Version : Workplace hair problem

MissBellydance
November 15th, 2010, 11:27 PM
I work at a printing press site and whenever I leave work my hair smells very strongly of ink. I know washing hair everyday isn't good for it, but sometimes the smell drives me crazy. If I wash just with conditioner or water, my hair still smells. So I'm forced to use shampoo. Has anybody had a problem similar to this? Do you know of any alternatives to using shampoo that might be able to remove the smell without damaging? If not, is diluted shampoo less damaging?

Barniie
November 15th, 2010, 11:33 PM
I think you can buy hair frangrancers and perfumes, which may help :)

JulietCapulet
November 15th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Oh wow that is tough. The only thing I can think of is another job...I know that would be difficult. Or you could buy shampoos from the health food store that are less harsh. I wish you the best!

remidosi
November 15th, 2010, 11:43 PM
You might have luck with a vinegar rinse. 2 T or less of apple cider or white vinegar diluted in 1 cup water along with a few drops of essential oils of your choice would probably work nicely.

Vinegar, believe it or not, actually has deodorizing properties and is also quite beneficial for skin and hair. The vinegar smell should disappear once your hair dries, and if you catch a whiff of it lingering, the fragrant essential oils will do away with that. I spent quite a lot of time over a smoky charcoal grill this summer (and boy does the smoke linger in hair!) but after my regular vinegar rinse - no more smoke! :cheese:

Roseate
November 15th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Is covering your hair at work an option? Might help.

Diluted shampoo is more gentle, and you can use less; I use about 1/2 tsp shampoo in an 8oz bottle of water, squirt it on my head, and it still foams up and cleans well.

ravenreed
November 15th, 2010, 11:51 PM
I am not convinced that daily washing is all that bad. I think that it depends on the method and how you treat it when it is wet. If you can wash it, or CO and let it air dry, it should be okay.

I washed my hair every day right up to waist length. After that, I switched my cleansing method so it takes forever and I don't want to do it every night. Also, my hair takes forever to dry. Otherwise, my hair is perfectly happy to get a daily washing. In fact, my ends get horribly dry after a couple of days and are much better right after washing.

Sundial
November 15th, 2010, 11:51 PM
I think you can buy hair frangrancers and perfumes, which may help :)

You might have luck with a vinegar rinse. 2 T or less of apple cider or white vinegar diluted in 1 cup water along with a few drops of essential oils of your choice would probably work nicely.

Vinegar, believe it or not, actually has deodorizing properties and is also quite beneficial for skin and hair. The vinegar smell should disappear once your hair dries, and if you catch a whiff of it lingering, the fragrant essential oils will do away with that. I spent quite a lot of time over a smoky charcoal grill this summer (and boy does the smoke linger in hair!) but after my regular vinegar rinse - no more smoke! :cheese:

I think the vinegar rinse or fragrance is a good idea. Why not give those a try? Or you could try mixing up oils with EOs and use those to scent your hair while oiling it. Let us know how it goes! :p

MissBellydance
November 16th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Thanks for all the good ideas everyone :)

I'll probably test them all out until I find which one works best for me. I had considered the ACV wash but wasn't sure if it would have any negative effect on my hair (ie. dry it out or something) but I suppose I won't know until I try.

I just hope I can sort this out because it's not just the damage but it's also a nuisance to have to wash so often. I go through so much shampoo and conditioner that it's getting pretty expensive!

lilalong
November 16th, 2010, 02:34 AM
I would also suggest covering it, if that's at all possible.

Monsterkitti
November 16th, 2010, 03:02 AM
I work somewhere with chemicals and I cover to try and protect my hair from chemicals, smells and dirt. I'd try that. Can also recommend vinegar like everyone else :)

Gabriel
November 16th, 2010, 04:46 AM
Good suggestions so far. I'd definitely keep it up and covered if that were an option. CO (conditioner only) washes might be the best bet in between regular SC (shampoo and condition) days.

Many common brands also make refreshing sprays for hair now, such as this one from Tresemme (http://www.tresemme.com/Products/Fresh-Start/Fresh-Start-Refreshing-Mist/) that might help. I haven't tried any so I don't know how well they work but I'm sure you can find reviews online.

I think I remember some folks adding EO's (essential oils) to Kimberlily's Defrizz Spray recipe you can find here on the boards. Maybe that could be of some help for days when you just aren't up to washing.

Bast
November 16th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I will sometimes use Febreeze on my hair. Yes, the fabric stuff.

Worked great for getting the smell of cigarette smoke out of my hair.

kabelaced
November 16th, 2010, 08:58 AM
If you don't work every day, I'd suggest covering it in a smattering of coconut oil with a few drops of your favorite essential oil. I work in a deli and also fry chicken, so the smell of the oil and smoke stays on me after work. If I know I'm going to take a shower right after work, I put a lot of coconut oil + jasmine EO in my hair and cover my head with the customary work hat, then shower afterwards and have super soft hair.

The smell of my coconut oil and jasmine combined stays with me for a good half of the night, and after work I can't really smell the fried chicken unless it's on my work clothes (and that's from repeated exposure to the same smells all of the time).

Good luck to you! :)

trolleypup
November 16th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Another vote for covering it...my personal go to for avoiding getting environmental contaminants in my hair is the Pony Scrub (http://www.trolleypup.info/lhc/ponyscrub-060430-trio-med.jpg). Definitely better to have the stuff on something that you can take off and throw in the wash than have to deal with washing hair everyday...also, if it is covered, it is a chance to do whatever you want with it under the covering.

curlymarcia
November 16th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Sunlight can remove intense odors, but if sitting in the sun is not an option. I would say CO daily. Good luck!