PDA

View Full Version : My honey soaked head is in a towel...

feralnature
November 15th, 2010, 12:36 PM
My honey and water soaked head is a towel as I type this. I just wrote out a long post sescribing all of this and just lost it so here I go again. I used a 4 parts water to 1 part honey mix and made about a cup. We have bee hives on our acreage so have lots of honey. We have an old handshake deal with a bee man. He brings bee hives out here every year and we get some free honey, close to 2 gallons a year. Anyway, I bent over the shower floor and poured the concoction in my hair as I worked it in and then wrapped my head in a plastic shopping bag. Then in a towel. I put an old cotton night gown on next because the solution is a bit messy. I have had my head with the honey on it now for about 2 1/2 hours.

I will be washing it out soon but need to re-read the thread about what I need to wash it out with for best results on lightening. btw I just did this for the heck of it, not really caring about the results. Just thought I would see what happens. :)

aenflex
November 15th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I want an old handshake deal with a bee man!!!! Lucky!! :)

feralnature
November 15th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I want an old handshake deal with a bee man!!!! Lucky!! :)

It's great! My grandfather made the "handshake deal" with the grandfather of the guy who brings the bees out here now. So it has been passed down through the generations. The guy brings out over 100 bee hives every year to our ranch and loves it because we are all natural and use no pesticides. So we have so many wildflowers and Yaupon Holly and that makes for wonderful honey and healthy bees.

BTW moderators, I just realized I posted this thread in the wrong part of the forum :)

feralnature
November 15th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Ok, I just washed and conditioned my hair in the shower with Suave Naturals Shampoo and Conditioner "Tropical Coconut". I have used that since I joined up here January 2008 and it is perfect for my hair and it comes from the Dollar General.

So my hair is wet now and I will air dry as usual. It is chilly today and our central air and heat died so I will sit in front of the little space heater and be patient. :)

SilvraShadows
November 15th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Patiently waiting with you...;)

feralnature
November 15th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Patiently waiting with you...;)

I am not expecting too much after one treatment. But I am curious and had to do it!

BrightEyes7
November 15th, 2010, 01:55 PM
So now that you've washed your hair...

Here is the honey lightening thread

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148

I think you need to use distilled water and some cinnamon to get lightening. :shrug:

feralnature
November 15th, 2010, 01:58 PM
So now that you've washed your hair...

Here is the honey lightening thread

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148

I think you need to use distilled water and some cinnamon to get lightening. :shrug:

BrightEyes7, I read all that already, well, most of it. Some folks have lightened without cinnamon. I will keep experimenting. I am white in the front (see my profile pic) so I am just playing with lightening as I will be going light naturally anyway :)

SilvraShadows
November 15th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Still curious as to what your results might be... quite a while ago I used a henna blend that left me with a bit too much orange. I blended up some honey with yogurt, I think a tiny bit of lemon (lemon does dry my hair a little, so I tossed in just a teeny bit) and some conditioner. Soaked my hair in that for an afternoon. I was very surprised and pleased with my results! It helped to created a more strawberry blonde, all the orange was gone. Family confirmed and approved... whereas I was clown that morning.

I do believe with several treatments you will see a difference, and I wouldn't be surprised if you notice a hint of change today.

Lucky you! All that honey for a honest handshake!

feralnature
November 15th, 2010, 02:42 PM
SilvraShadows, it is almost dry so I went by the window in the sunlight and looked at my hair with a mirror. It actually does appear lighter, with a small hint of light red in it, in the front. I tend toward red highlights naturally anyway. The silver strands around my face seem more pronounced and glistening but that may because I just washed it. I can't get a pic now that would really show anything, when I can, I will post. My hair is still damp anyway. I like what I see so far.

SilvraShadows
November 15th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I didn't realize cinnamon played a factor in lightening up the tresses! Interesting. I haven't read the links yet, but I will.

Sounds pretty! Honey does bring out the shine, and red glints are always lovely!!

feralnature
November 15th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Ok, my hair is dry and is so soft it almost feels "over" conditioned. It is too dark to tell color so will look at it tomorrow in the sunlight.

Jezerellica
November 15th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Oh! I am so exited to see your result!! I HAVE to try this at some point! I miss my hilights from the stylist, but have promised myself no more unnatural things to break down my hair!! Thanks for sharing your experience with us!! = )

Robbin
November 15th, 2010, 09:31 PM
*anxiously waiting for the daylight result* :D

suicides_eve
November 15th, 2010, 11:26 PM
I have been using honey only recently( for some flake issues), and thankful haven't noticed any highlight (not the look I was going for). I do however, love how shiney my hair looks after air drying.It reminds me of a gloss you can buy for your hair from the drug store with out the chemicals :)

feralnature
November 16th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Ok folk! Here is my hair this morning in the sunlight! (I have already posted this pic on the salt and pepper thread so you may have already seen it). I have before pics but they are older and I don't have them at my fingertips. I don't know if it changed the color at all. It may have lightened it a bit. It is sure soft and shiney though :) I will keep up the treatments and see what happens.

Here goes....

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p255/feralnaturefarm/Hair/DianesHairafterHoneyTreatment1010.jpg

SilvraShadows
November 16th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Your hair does look very soft and very shiny! And I see the glints of red which I find very pretty. You have very pretty hair! Thanks for the update! I need to check in over at the S + P thread myself...

Jezerellica
November 16th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks for sharing with us! Shiny, glossy hair is just fine too!!

feralnature
November 16th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I have spent so many years with damaged hair, hair fried from perms, from black dye, brown dye, red dye, from being a bleached blonde, from hot irons, from hot curlers, blow dryers,from ripping my hair with brushes, from wind damage, from swimming pools, from the beach, from any and all abuse...that now when I see my hair so very shiney, well, it makes me happy! :)

chelles2kids
November 16th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I'm so glad that I came across this thread...I had heard about using honey through Cinnamon Hair and tonight is the first time that I've tried it myself as well.
I came here to do a search to see if anyone else had used it and had any good experiences with it.

But after seeing you're beautiful results I soo hope that I at least get some shine from it.
You're hair looks A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.!!! :thudpile:

And just to think that something as simple as adding honey into you're routine made such a difference!

Thank-you so much for adding the pic.:flower:

feralnature
November 16th, 2010, 08:21 PM
chelles2kids it is really a combination of the things i have learned here. January it will be 3 years of taking very good care of my hair. And the honey really just added a wee bit to that. I think more honey treatments may yeild more impressive color change results later on.

I use no heat, no color, no perms, rinse in cold water, take Biotin and other vitamins and suppliments everyday, use coconut oil everyday, wide tooth comb, protective hair styles and so forth. It all adds up.

feralnature
November 16th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Also chelles2kids do you have pics?

chelles2kids
November 16th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Also chelles2kids do you have pics?

I do have some but they are buried in my blog~lol...I took them a very long time ago, I so need to do some new pics. though.
I was just thinking today that I needed to at least put up an avatar pic., geesh...I've been here for 5 years now and still don't have one...I'm so sad~hahahaha.

I know what you mean about the difference it makes once we start caring for our hair in different ways.
I've learned so much from LHC over the past several years, things that I'd never even knew existed.:p

But whatever it is you're doing, keep up the wonderful work because you're hair really is a pic. of health & such an inspiration to us all! :grouphug:

feralnature
November 16th, 2010, 09:42 PM
aw shucks :o

feralnature
November 19th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I'm doing it again!

Round 2:

I have honey mixture in my hair right now, my hair in a big clip, a plastic bag over that, then a shower cap, and then a bandana. I am "layering" to keep my head heat in.

I was a bit more savvy this time. I used an old dish soap plastic bottle and put my mix in there, and heated it by letting it soak in a half gallon of hot water in a pitcher. I carried this pitcher of hot water to the shower and my mix was nice and warm when I was ready.

This time, I went ahead and just took a shower and got my hair rinsed and wet first (no shampoo). The first time, I tried hanging my head into the shower, not getting my body wet, trying to pour the honey mix over my dry hair. This time was better.

I used honey and water 1 to 4 ratio. This time i added about 2 tablespoons of EVOO. Which is signifigant for 2 reasons: One, I hane never used Olive Oil in my hair ever, i normally use coconut oil, and two, this is different than the initialy honey mix in that the first time i did not add the oil.

Ok, I plan to let it perculate on my head for 3 hours, like before.

:magic:

kitschy
November 19th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Very pretty. I love your shine and sparklies!

Dreamkitty
November 19th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Your hair looks so shiney and is glowing! it looks prettiful!.:) You are lucky to have fresh honey, I think straight out of the beehive is very natural and fresh, your putting it to good use.

I have honey at my home but I bought it from the shop! im not sure whether to use it because they might have added some extra things to it, like presertative or some funky ingredient so I can't trust it.

feralnature
November 19th, 2010, 02:22 PM
DreamKitty I have never known of any chemicals added to honey so your honey should be fine, I think :)

feralnature
November 19th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Ok, I'm headed to the shower...then I will have to let it dry.

feralnature
November 19th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Ok, I took a walk outside in order to dry my hair with just the breeze blowing it. It is dark outside now though, so I can't really tell anything until tomorrow. I will go out in the sun in the morning and take a pic and see what it looks like, and post. :)

ktani
November 19th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Ok, I took a walk outside in order to dry my hair with just the breeze blowing it. It is dark outside now though, so I can't really tell anything until tomorrow. I will go out in the sun in the morning and take a pic and see what it looks like, and post. :)

I have been following this thread. The actual recommened ratio is 1 tablespoon honey to 6 tablespoons distilled water preferably or really good tap water (hard to tell on that one but it is worth a shot), which is 4 to 1 by weight translated into volume measurement. Extra virgin olive oil (evoo) is better than olive oil because it can have twice the peroxide value if is pure (not a mix of olive oil and evoo). The recommendations are based on research I have done on honey and reported results.

Other honey lightening boosters are ground cinnamon and ground cardamom (coconut oil you know about). The spices should be patch tested before using and even then, I suggest not using more than 2 tablespoons maximum of spice to start out. Both can be sensitizers.

A honey lightening recipe should never be heated. Heat other than body heat (amplified under plastic, the recommended covering, even under a swim cap), can deplete a recipe peroxide level.