PDA

View Full Version : hot oil treatment, hair damp or dry??

Nenwing
November 15th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I have a nice bottle of jojoba oil, and used some the other day all over my damp rather wet hair. I rinsed it out good, but still ended up having to really wash it to get the oil out, as it made my hair kind of gummy/greasy feeling.

Do these oil treatments work best on dry hair? Does the hair need to be dry to absorb them? The bottle said damp/wet hair, so that's what I did, but I'm not sure...

aenflex
November 15th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I always do deep oil treatments on dry hair. I do light oilings on wet hair, but more as a leave in or softener than a 'treatment'. So I would warm so oil and apply it from the ears down onto dry hair, and wrap it if you can, leave it in for hours. Then wash/condition.
I never liked Jojoba...I know, weird? I've had much better luck with coconot and olive oil. If you haven't tried the two, might be worth it to check them out :)

Eireann
November 15th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Jojoba oil is actually chemically more like a wax than an oil. (Or so I've read. . ..I'm no chemist.) That might have something to do with it making your hair gummy. I've also found that a little goes a long way with jojoba oil.

Nenwing
November 15th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Hmm, I have not tried the other oils, maybe that would be worth a shot.

When applying it to dry hair, is the hair supposed to absorb it, as in "eat it up", or is the oil supposed to just sit on your hair, then rinse it out?

feralnature
November 15th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I have never tried Jojoba, but wish to. I do, however, use Coconut oil very regularly and have for years now. My hair drinks it up and it never seems greasy or oily. I apply it to dry hair and add a little more each day as a routine.

I am wanting to know more about Jojoba oil though.

AnnaJamila
November 15th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I always put it on wet- if you think about it skin hair and nails are meant to be kept soft with water, not oil. If you take two slivers of dry skin and put one in water and one in oil the one that will reconstitute is the one in the water. The only thing oil does is act as saran wrap to hold water in the hair, skin or nails. That's also why on the Johnson's Baby Oil commercial they say to put it on soaking wet. When you put it on dry it prevents the water already inside the shaft from leaking out, but when you put it on wet it traps extra water into the hair. Also water makes absorbing the nutrients and the select fatty acids which can penetrate the shaft much easier. Another plus is it tends to go on more evenly. But if your hair already has a good moisture balance putting on dry shouldn't make too much of a difference.