PDA

View Full Version : Wavies and Curlies - layers or non??

09robiha
November 15th, 2010, 09:17 AM
I am currently edging towards waist while curly (after a big trim) and am considering letting the layers grow out but I am not sure how it would look there fore it would be great to see some pictured of curlies with layers vs those without to help me decided!

mariika
November 15th, 2010, 09:26 AM
hello, I have curly hair and layers because blunt cut makes my hair flat on top and wide and fluffy at the bottom. you can check some pictures in my gallery.

Ntaark
November 15th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Definitely layers for my hair, it gets way too floofy without them. It doesn't have to have a lot of layers though to keep the floof under control.

spidermom
November 15th, 2010, 09:46 AM
I have no layers now because I want my classic-length hair (almost there!) to have as solid a hem as possible. After I've rocked classic length and maybe a little more for at least a year, I'm thinking of bringing back some of my wave/curl by going back to hip length with long layers. Change is good!

sophiamarie
November 15th, 2010, 09:54 AM
I'm curious to see the responses to this thread. Right now I'm a wavy and can coax quite a bit of curl into my hair with the right styling products. I have layers which have been driving my crazy. I loved my hair some years back when it was below bsl, wavy, styled and all one length except for my bangs. As my shortest layer has been growing, I am starting to like my hair a whole lot more. It will be interesting to see the responses to this thread.

Nera
November 15th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I'm curly with faerytale ends, really bad experience with layers because the underlayers of my hair don't grow fast and are really damaged, while the upper layers are really thick and healthy. Don't know how this is possible, but yeah. I started out blunt, might be cutting to be blunt as well. On me, personally I prefere a more classical look of blunt hair/fairytale ends as opposed to a layered hairstyle. I've had both though, you cal see pictures in my album I think.

hairobsessed1
November 15th, 2010, 10:01 AM
I have layers (see my sig pic) I feel it saves me from the dreaded triangle head look, especially as my hair isnt that long at the mo. I love layers and I think i will keep them even when my hair gets really long as it gives my hair the appearance of more body and thickness. Layers when long will make it harder for me to self trim though

manderly
November 15th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I get a mat of hair without layers. My layers help my curls separate and sproing :)

abritta3
November 15th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I also have layers...I went through a phase of HATING THEM but since my hair is at BSL now and the shortest layer is chin length, I am much happier.
My hair without layers is very much like a lampshade haha and the curls on top don't curl as well without layers.
Hope this helps! :D

girlcat36
November 15th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I would have layers, EXCEPT my hair is too darn thin! :mad:
I think layers look great on thick, curly hair.
I have just a very few angled layers in front that I carefully cut in myself. I trim my hemline myself, aiming for a blunt hemline but it grows out fairytale anyway, which is fine. With thin curly hair, I don't feel I have many options.

lapushka
November 15th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I had short layers at BSL which ranged from collarbone to BSL. I grew them out on my way to waist (which I'm an inch away from right now; my shortest layer is past APL).

I might get layers again, I don't know. If so, probably not as many and I won't go for short layering.

JulietCapulet
November 15th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I have a lot of layers. Here is my hair curlyhttp://imgur.com/zPfbT.jpg (http://imgur.com/zPfbT.jpg)
And here is my hair straighthttp://imgur.com/FBPo8.jpg (http://imgur.com/FBPo8.jpg)

GRU
November 15th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Everyone's curls do something different.

This is my hair 10+ years ago, with layers and bangs/fringe:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/hair/brillohead.jpg

This is my hair this year, without layers or bangs/fringe:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/hair/2010-June/outdoor-c-resized.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/hair/2010-June/waist-croppedmore-smaller.jpg

(all pictures taken in hot/humid weather)

girlcat36
November 15th, 2010, 02:39 PM
GRU, your hair is stunning.

GRU
November 15th, 2010, 04:25 PM
GRU, your hair is stunning.

Awww, thanks girlcat36!

Wish I could take the credit for it, but half the credit goes to God for making it grow this way, and half the credit goes to the knowledge base here at LHC, where I learned how to properly feed and care for my hair after four decades of battling with it on a daily basis!

LOL, this just reminded me of a little girl at my son's hockey game this weekend. She's the younger sister of his teammate, maybe 5yo, and she asked me, "Why is your hair so curly?" (Well, she has a bit of a speech impediment, so it came out like, "why is your hay-uh so cooly?")

She looked so confused when I told her that God just made me this way. Everyone in her family has 1a or 1b "hay-uh", so maybe the idea that hair actually grows out of your head in a texture other than stick-straight just never occurred to her?

jaine
November 15th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Gru your hair is lovely! That last picture looks like you have long layers...the hair on top is ending about 6 inches higher than the hair underneath? I could be mistaken though.

My hair has layers. Too bottom-heavy and triangular without them. But I haven't tested the limits of how long it can get...I'm sure there's a length where my terminal taper would fix the triangular shape issues.

GRU
November 15th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Gru your hair is lovely!

Thanks!

That last picture looks like you have long layers...the hair on top is ending about 6 inches higher than the hair underneath? I could be mistaken though.

I guess it's all in the interpretation -- that's the result of damage/breakage from my old non-hair-friendly ways (back when I used to brush (snap/break) out my tangles, so I don't consider them to be true layers. I haven't had an actual haircut in probably close to four years now, and I haven't had any layers cut into my hair since about 2003, or possibly even earlier.

But my hair grows extremely slowly, even for a curly -- the little short tress you can see on the left side at around APL is actually my "bangs" which were last cut in early 2003. A "normal" person's bangs would have grown around 3' (90cm) in that period of time.... hey, I never claimed to be normal! :D

Cheeks1206
November 15th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Layers or no really depends on your goals. If you want curly hair that stays curly as it grows, layers will be the way you want to go. Most curl patterns, but not all, tend to stretch and loose definition as the hair grows. Layers keep those curls alive. However, if you care about over all length or having updos that are mostly uniform or don't have weird bits sticking out, no layers may work best for you. That said, having curly hair without layers is a surefire recipe for the dreaded triangle-head! My hair has layers from the pixie cut that I grew out.

GRU
November 15th, 2010, 07:34 PM
That said, having curly hair without layers is a surefire recipe for the dreaded triangle-head!

I guess it depends on your curl pattern and overall hair texture, because my Triangle Head (see 10+ year old photo in my post earlier today) is most extreme when I have layers. Without the layers, my length is heavier and not as prone to spontaneous expansion!

akuamoonmaui
November 15th, 2010, 07:45 PM
GRU Your hair is amazing!! :thud:

I have layers, too. I like them because it gives my hair more movement and IMO more possibilities.

GRU
November 16th, 2010, 06:37 AM
GRU Your hair is amazing!! :thud:

Thanks! I always wanted hair with "flowing waves" like yours.... I guess we always want what we don't have -- human nature, I guess?

Armelle
November 16th, 2010, 07:00 AM
I guess it depends on your curl pattern and overall hair texture, because my Triangle Head (see 10+ year old photo in my post earlier today) is most extreme when I have layers. Without the layers, my length is heavier and not as prone to spontaneous expansion!

My hair is mostly "wavy" with some straight pieces and some downright curly pieces. Like GRU, my hair is "Triangle Head " when I have layers. :(

Here is a pic of my hair, no layers at all. (Also not brushed. :D)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3364&pictureid=72520

sophiamarie
November 16th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Juliet Capulet - What beautiful hair! I love it both ways, straight or curly. Gru - Stunning - Beautiful !

UltraBella
November 16th, 2010, 08:24 AM
YAY for layers !!! I don't think I would like my hair at all without them. I love the bounce and movement they give my thick hair :)

09robiha
November 16th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Awww, thanks girlcat36!

Wish I could take the credit for it, but half the credit goes to God for making it grow this way, and half the credit goes to the knowledge base here at LHC, where I learned how to properly feed and care for my hair after four decades of battling with it on a daily basis!

LOL, this just reminded me of a little girl at my son's hockey game this weekend. She's the younger sister of his teammate, maybe 5yo, and she asked me, "Why is your hair so curly?" (Well, she has a bit of a speech impediment, so it came out like, "why is your hay-uh so cooly?")

She looked so confused when I told her that God just made me this way. Everyone in her family has 1a or 1b "hay-uh", so maybe the idea that hair actually grows out of your head in a texture other than stick-straight just never occurred to her?

It is possible. One of my friends has stick straight hair and EVERY other member of her family has the same. When she met me she was fasinated by my hair - she just couldnt fathom how it grew out of my head curly since she had never really seen that before (we were quite young at the time), I guess its like someone who has never seen the snow before or the ocean.
My neices had never seen snow until last xmas when they came to visit me!!
Its amazing how one thing can be so common to one person and totally foreign to another lol

autumnchild
November 16th, 2010, 08:31 AM
GRU your hair is BEAUTIFUL !! :) :bowtome::bowtome: How long did it take for you to grow from shoulder length to BSL? I have been blessed with curls as well but have never had the length to go with it. Also did you trim during your growth / how often? Sorry about the 20 questions but you definitely know what you are doing !! Thanks so much! ;)

GRU
November 16th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Gru - Stunning - Beautiful !

Thanks, sophiamarie!

Its amazing how one thing can be so common to one person and totally foreign to another lol

Isn't that the truth! Some people with 2-type hair just don't "get it" that I can't just blow-dry my hair straight, because it works just fine on their hair. :shrug:

GRU your hair is BEAUTIFUL !! :) :bowtome::bowtome: How long did it take for you to grow from shoulder length to BSL? I have been blessed with curls as well but have never had the length to go with it. Also did you trim during your growth / how often? Sorry about the 20 questions but you definitely know what you are doing !! Thanks so much! ;)

Thanks, autumnchild!

What's worked best for me is not brushing my hair and not cutting my hair, plus CO-washing.

I have thyroid issues, and even with medication my hair grows VERY slowly. For example, I last had my bangs cut in 2003, and measuring down from my hairline, they're only about 16" long. (using the typical 6" per year, my bangs should have grown 42" in that time period!)

Brushing my hair was leading to a "false terminal" situation, which I wrote about here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1146313&postcount=13).

I do S&D my problem areas -- I am very prone to fairy knots, and my last several inches of length are in pretty nasty shape from years of abuse (shampoo, brushing, blowfrying). I have strands that feel like "bumpy wire" because of tangling and general damage, and I try to trim those back along with the fairy knots and any splits I might find.

I also practice "hair friendly" techniques in general now (since joining LHC a year ago). I never blow-fry my hair, I put my hair up at night for sleep, I CO-wash, I only detangle when coated with conditioner, etc.

You can read my typical daily routine here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1308189&postcount=14), if you're interested.

jojo
November 16th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Gru :thudpile: your hair is beautiful and I totally sympathise with your thyroid issues, country life maxi hair sped things up and my GP has approved me to take them, but wow colour and curls (and length of course) well :thud:

Now back to the question, I am not keen on layers on me personally as they make my hair go stringy and thin, one length looks thicker and makes my waves more uniform, but i love them on other people.

GRU
November 16th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks jojo!

I am a hennahead, but I was a strawberry blonde to begin with -- the henna is just there to cover my "sparklies" ;) more than anything.

I'm just kicking myself that it took me four DECADES to stop fighting with my hair... I was born curly, God wants my hair curly, so I finally just learned to accept it -- after all, who am I to argue with God? (and my life is so much more peaceful now!)

autumnchild
November 17th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Thanks GRU for all the advise, i took a looksie at the info you gave and I think this is something I can relate to and stick with. Thanks again :)

GRU
November 17th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Thanks GRU for all the advise, i took a looksie at the info you gave and I think this is something I can relate to and stick with. Thanks again :)

You're very welcome, dear -- I'm glad it helped!

If you haven't already, take the time to wade through the entire Wurly and Curly Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369) for lots of great advice and information and product ideas and techniques to try out. Different things work for different folks -- hair is very individualized -- so a lot of it will just be trial and error to figure out what your hair likes and what it hates.

MAO
November 17th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I'm a wurly and I have layers, otherwise I get the pyramid head effect. They also help my curls form nicer.

chelles2kids
November 17th, 2010, 01:44 PM
My apologies if I'm repeating what someone else has already mentioned...but I think layers or not, comes down to what *you* like the best.

I say whichever makes you the most happy, because ultimately you'll be the one taking care of it every day & trying to work with different updos.

I personally like no layers...to me it's much easier to put into an updo if I don't have several layes to contend with. But...that's just me.;)