PDA

View Full Version : CO method and clarifying question

whiteisle
June 1st, 2008, 07:53 AM
Hi,
I've recently tried the CO method, about 5 days now, and I think I really like it. However, I realized my hair might not be giving me accurate results as I never clarified before starting CO (I had been using shampoo and conditioner with cones and protein previously). So I went and bought some Suave Daily Clarifying this morning and when I got ready to wash I happen to read the label and it says it has dimethicone in it. Is this alright for clarifying??? I used it anyway, thinking it was better than nothing, but my intentions are to stay away from the cones and protein for a while to see how my hair behaves. I was just wondering if using it was self-defeating? I plan to continue on with just conditioner (cone and protein free) for the rest of the week and then go from there. Thanks!

Sana
June 1st, 2008, 07:58 AM
I have been CO washing for a long time. I use cones for CWC once a week as well as the sauve clarifying shampoo. It works very wells for me. I guess using cones shouldn't be a problem if your hair likes it.

whiteisle
June 1st, 2008, 08:03 AM
Is there a conditioner that has cones but is also protein free?

whiteisle
June 1st, 2008, 08:34 AM
Now that my hair is almost dry, it's not feeling so grand. It's very light and fluffy, but feels sorta rough/coarse/dry. I used the Suave Clarifying, followed by Suave Naturals Aloe and Waterlily Conditoner, and a ACV rinse (I was trying to create a clean slate - no pun intended - to start CO). Any ideas what's going on? thanks

Kirin
June 1st, 2008, 09:47 AM
Clarifying shampoos can be rough on hair, next time you use it, dillute the heck out of it, at least 50/50 with water. It will work just as well, but not give your hair a super beating.

Another thing to try on clarifying days is to wet hair, condition first and let that sit while you do the rest of your shower, rinse, then shampoo and condition again. It gives your hair a shot of moisture so it again doesn't take a harsh beating with the clarifier.

I was pretty suprised myself to find that suave clarifying shampoo had dimithicone in it. It is to my knowledge a water soluable cone, but seems to defeat the purpose of a clarifying shampoo. I'm guessing as its marketed as "daily clarifying" and the user is supposed to use it daily..... the dimithicone is to keep the hair smooth ........ wether or not that actually works I have no idea.

That said though, even myself who doesn't like cones (nor does my hair) dimithicone is the only cone that doesn't seem bothersome.

On the note of clarifying, if you are doing CO and your hair likes it and you have no problems, there is no actual need to clarify. Generally you would clarify when your hair stops responding to CO, feels very weighted down or "gunky".

lookingglass
June 1st, 2008, 10:51 AM
You can clarify, too, with a regular shampoo that doesn't have cones.

whiteisle
June 1st, 2008, 02:31 PM
Thank you everyone! =) I'm hoping CO will work well for my hair.

Good to know about the dimethicone - I love learning new stuff!

Tap Dancer
June 1st, 2008, 03:12 PM
I clarify with white vinegar. I fill a spray bottle with water, add a little vinegar, spray my scalp, and rinse.

Riot Crrl
June 1st, 2008, 07:17 PM
Dimethicone isn't water soluble unless it has copolyol after it or PEG before it, I think. It is probably soluble in the sulfates of the clarifying shampoo, but since they're used at once, I have no idea how that works.

rubyann
June 1st, 2008, 08:56 PM
I never clarified when I started CO. Never felt the need to. Many don't.

I did have to apply it to dry hair and leave it on for 15 - 20 minutes before getting into the shower in order for it to really clean my hair. YMMV.