PDA

View Full Version : Growing from bald.

lordofthespoons
November 15th, 2010, 07:28 AM
I used to have mid back legnth hair that i used to dye various colours pretty much weekly, and had it chemically straightened because I had wavey hair.

Somthing strange that I noticed though, after shaving my hair (Completely shaved head) my hair has begun growing back very straight, I woud have said befor that it was a 2A any ideas why this would happen? I am a NVQ2 qualfiied stylist and I have not come across this before.

http://imgur.com/gr58g.jpg
http://imgur.com/YrD4P.jpg

Pictures are 12 weeks growth since completely shaved head

P.s. I am aware I look young ^^

rymorg2
November 15th, 2010, 07:32 AM
I'm a stylist and also an educator in the field.

If you were 2A starting off, your hair probably hasn't grown long enough for your wave pattern to show yet. Once it gets longer you should be able to see the waves again. 2A is a large, loping shape and your hair isn't long enough to see the complete S pattern. You may find as it grows that it'll start to flip out, and that's when it gets to the point where the first half of the S is there but the second half not yet.

HTH...

Yozhik
November 15th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Nice hair, it looks quite thick!

There are a number of people on the boards who have grown from bald, so perhaps they'll pop in and say whether or not they experienced texture changes. The only thing I can think of is maybe your hair is still too short to see any curl/wave pattern? Did waviness used to show up at your current length?

lordofthespoons
November 15th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Nice hair, it looks quite thick!

There are a number of people on the boards who have grown from bald, so perhaps they'll pop in and say whether or not they experienced texture changes. The only thing I can think of is maybe your hair is still too short to see any curl/wave pattern? Did waviness used to show up at your current length?

If im honest im not entirely sure, I had shoulder legnth hair for as long as i can remember, but the last 3 years or so i basically attacked it with colours + straightening treatments (first time ive seen my natural colour in that long) Im hoping some curl/wave pattern will come back when loger

Mutinous
November 15th, 2010, 07:38 AM
When I had hair a similar length to yours I was convinced it was dead straight, but as it grew longer a curl pattern started emerging, something between a 1c - 2a, so it may show up yet!

lordofthespoons
November 15th, 2010, 07:38 AM
I'm a stylist and also an educator in the field.

If you were 2A starting off, your hair probably hasn't grown long enough for your wave pattern to show yet. Once it gets longer you should be able to see the waves again. 2A is a large, loping shape and your hair isn't long enough to see the complete S pattern. You may find as it grows that it'll start to flip out, and that's when it gets to the point where the first half of the S is there but the second half not yet.

HTH...

I hope so :D currently when I wash it pretty much straight out at all angles, but then dries flat as it is in the pictures (I Leave my hair to air dry)

RitaPG
November 15th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Holy crap you grew that in 12 weeks? Nice!
Can't say much about the change in texture but a friend of mine had the same thing happen to her.
I bet you'll look great with waist length hair :)
And since you mentioned it and I'm curious, how old are you? Last year, at an internship, my boss told me he thought I was 16 :D

spidermom
November 15th, 2010, 07:44 AM
It takes length for my wave/curl pattern to show, and that might be the same for you. Happy growing!

lordofthespoons
November 15th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Holy crap you grew that in 12 weeks? Nice!
Can't say much about the change in texture but a friend of mine had the same thing happen to her.
I bet you'll look great with waist length hair :)
And since you mentioned it and I'm curious, how old are you? Last year, at an internship, my boss told me he thought I was 16 :D

18 and a half (I know that is still relativly young, but I swear I look 14 at most)

lordofthespoons
November 15th, 2010, 11:25 AM
http://imgur.com/stW5r.jpg
http://imgur.com/rJFl4.jpg
This is what my hair does if i use a sprayer to wet my hair, but when it dries itll go back to how it is in the pictures above, do you think theres a chance my wave/curl is still there?

enfys
November 15th, 2010, 12:58 PM
This is what my hair does if i use a sprayer to wet my hair, but when it dries itll go back to how it is in the pictures above, do you think theres a chance my wave/curl is still there?

Grow it and find out ;)

Most people seem to fall into on of two categories; those whose hair straightens when it gets longer, and those whose hair gets wavier. A lot of people get a surprise when they see their wave pattern appear!

Different treatment can also have a big effect; there are things that can be done to enhance your wave once your hair gets longer, and ways to hide it if that's what you'd prefer.

ikke1978
November 15th, 2010, 02:23 PM
ow my god! What are your eating to get such fast hair growth... hahaha
I want that stuff too

lordofthespoons
November 15th, 2010, 10:10 PM
ow my god! What are your eating to get such fast hair growth... hahaha
I want that stuff too

I follow a nearly vegan diet (not strict) :) Only time is when I am given a meal with it, or if i cant find a vegan option to eat at the time, never have any dairy, eggs e.t.c

and i drink alot of tea (I'm english LOL)
:)

lordofthespoons
November 15th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I follow a nearly vegan diet (not strict) :) Only time is when I am given a meal with it, or if i cant find a vegan option to eat at the time, never have any dairy, eggs e.t.c

and i drink alot of tea (I'm english LOL)
:)

Only time I eat meat is when I am given a meal with it*

I somehow missed a whole sentence out there

Marjolein
November 16th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Grow it and find out ;)

Most people seem to fall into on of two categories; those whose hair straightens when it gets longer, and those whose hair gets wavier. A lot of people get a surprise when they see their wave pattern appear!

Different treatment can also have a big effect; there are things that can be done to enhance your wave once your hair gets longer, and ways to hide it if that's what you'd prefer.

Emphasis mine. Yep, I belong to the second category, and since my hair is only a bit less wavey than yours lordofthespoons (I'm a 1c), chances are you belong to that category as well.

linda g
November 16th, 2010, 06:51 AM
My guess is that your wave will appear with an inch or two more growth.

I don't know if you can see albums yet, but if you can take a look at my "Hair Growth" album. (Which I see I haven't updated for a LONG time, lol!). Anyway, take a look at the difference between the September 2006 picture (hair in a pixie cut, looks quite straight) and the June 2007 picture (waves have definitely emerged!).

LisaMonster
November 16th, 2010, 07:52 AM
What a cutie!

kabelaced
November 16th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Haven't seen you around here before, so welcome to LHC! :p

Before I buzzed this past April, my APL hair was wavy. From growing it out since April (to just a little longer than yours is now - darn you, youth!), I've noticed that at first my hair was straight, and now it's very wavy with tons of flips. Your hair will do a ton of funky things as you grow back. Have fun with it! :eek:

little_cherry
November 16th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Hi!
My hair was stick straight when it was very short...but as it got to say, shoulder and beyond, that was where my wavies popped up.

Nice shiny thick hair! My ex was English, so now I'm used to drinking lots of tea; particularly green tea.

Toadstool
November 16th, 2010, 09:34 AM
http://imgur.com/stW5r.jpg
http://imgur.com/rJFl4.jpg
Yes, it's still there. Mine's the same. It will be back when it's longer :)

lordofthespoons
November 16th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Woah so many replies in such a short amount of time! thankyou for being so welcoming ^_^

I think im going to post a photo every month or so to keep progress of my growing, Ive done a quick bit of maths and going by how much my hair has grown since I shaved it, it should take arround 4.5 to 5 years for me to reach classic legnth :D

What a cutie!

Emphasis mine. Yep, I belong to the second category, and since my hair is only a bit less wavey than yours lordofthespoons (I'm a 1c), chances are you belong to that category as well.

I hope so :D I love wavey/curley hair

What a cutie!

My guess is that your wave will appear with an inch or two more growth.

I don't know if you can see albums yet, but if you can take a look at my "Hair Growth" album. (Which I see I haven't updated for a LONG time, lol!). Anyway, take a look at the difference between the September 2006 picture (hair in a pixie cut, looks quite straight) and the June 2007 picture (waves have definitely emerged!).

I cant see albums yet but I will have a look asap thankyou

What a cutie!

What a cutie!

Haven't seen you around here before, so welcome to LHC!

Before I buzzed this past April, my APL hair was wavy. From growing it out since April (to just a little longer than yours is now - darn you, youth!), I've noticed that at first my hair was straight, and now it's very wavy with tons of flips. Your hair will do a ton of funky things as you grow back. Have fun with it!

Yeah, I'm beginning to think this is what is happening ill try putting some gel in it when its a little longer to help with the curl Also a bit off topic but is there any page i should be looking aht explains all the "APL" and stuff that people go on about?

What a cutie!

Hi!
My hair was stick straight when it was very short...but as it got to say, shoulder and beyond, that was where my wavies popped up.

Nice shiny thick hair! My ex was English, so now I'm used to drinking lots of tea; particularly green tea.

Have you got any photos of your hair now that i could see? :D! also tea = :D! I swear I drink 15/20 cups a day LOL :o

lordofthespoons
November 16th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Not entirely sure what I did to the message befor but ive managed to end up with some of the quotes repeted and i ahvent worked out how to edit posts yet, so sorry about that :3

Marjolein
November 16th, 2010, 10:55 AM
haha, unconsciously you were probably very pleased with the 'cutie' remark :p

linda g
November 16th, 2010, 11:07 AM
haha, unconsciously you were probably very pleased with the 'cutie' remark :p

:D That was what I was thinking!

Welcome, lordofthespoons!

jojo
November 16th, 2010, 07:39 PM
My hair goes through stages very short and its curly, your length and the curls start to unfold into looser curls, then shoulder flicks up and the wave lessons, yet bsl to waist and I go super wavy again....but my hair is weird!

starlights
November 16th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Your hair looks to me as if it grows fast :)

lordofthespoons
November 26th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Just thought I would give you a quick update

11 days since first post, and 0.8 CM growth; beginning to see curl and wave pattern more clearly when my hair is wet, but goes pretty much straight when dry still (ive taken to brushing it when its just damp because it started going too flicky)

http://i.imgur.com/2LjXI.jpg

I'll update you again on the 15th of december, 1 month since the first post.

lordofthespoons
December 16th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Update:

1 month since original post I had a small trim (about 1 cm) and had my hair thinned out a bit because it was too thick to get even a wide tooth detangling comb through (i have very thick hair, when you look closely you can clearly see 3 - 6 hairs per follicle not sure if theres a name for this)

http://imgur.com/AeU2r.jpg

The back looks as though it has grown faster then everywhere else but in reality it is just becuase i have quite a low hair line

yellowchariot
December 16th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Awesome progression man! One thing about guys' hair, is that it grow like a weed! :thumbsup: Very fast

I thought my hair was straight, but as it began to get longer, I actually think it has slightly wavy characteristics to it. Though I'm not 100% sure.

Capybara
December 16th, 2010, 01:37 PM
That's some great growth there!

I thought I was straight haired, and was thrilled to find some waves :) I think yours will come out soon!

Madame J
December 16th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I have pretty "weedy" hair, too, as far as growth. I was at the length you're at now in January 2008, and right now my hair is firmly mid-back length. I wasn't even really focusing on growing it that whole time, so it might have grown faster if I'd had fewer trims between that and when I joined tLHC. Probably in another <1 year, I'll be at waist.

Welcome and your growth is looking good!

julliams
December 16th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Here is a perfect example of length = wave. My first shot is in January 2010 and the last is just recently. you can see that the waves start appearing at the middle of the back of my head. Of course if my hair is shorter it does have volume and can be coaxed into curls but they just do their own thing when they have length. Both pics are wash and wear - only a light leave in conditioner applied - no manipulation of hair using hands etc.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/4662588699_a8473ef05f_m.jpg http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5049/5243843886_c43dfe0549_m.jpg

Highpony
January 5th, 2011, 01:26 AM
Can you post pics when your hair was long?

summergame
January 5th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Your hair looks very healty and beatyful, i agree that you look very cute! :D. I also loves tea,i think i must have at least 7 different kinds of tea,probelly much more ;)

Much succes with your grow! :-)

lordofthespoons
January 5th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Just a quick update, but im getting my curl! :D

http://i.imgur.com/P8w0K.jpg

Not the best picture ever, but the last few days my hair has gone wavey/curley, only seems to happen sometimes though which is odd,

Also for the question above, I don't have any picture im afraid i have very few pictures of m self appart from recently i used to be really camera shy :)

miss_purple
January 5th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Pictures are 12 weeks growth since completely shaved head

What a nice growth! Very impressive. :)