PDA

View Full Version : Hair greasy immediately after washing-confused!!

practikalmagik
November 15th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Hey guys,
I really hope one of you can shed some light on my situation because I am terribly confused here.

For the last year I was using a sls-free shampoo, it was lovely! Unfortunately it was discontinued and there is no hope in hell of me getting it ever again. Sad Hayley.

So I tried buying an sls-free shampoo from Boots, one with lots of natural ingredients. However it left my hair an awful greasy mess. My canopy looked nice but the rest of my scalp looking absolutely awful right after washing.

Not to be detered I tried a different sls-free shampoo, this one a little more commercial. Same problem!

So I decided to jump back on the sls bandwagon because I couldn't take my hair looking awful on wash day anymore. It looked fine the first time but the second wash came around and it happened again!!

I have tried varying how I wash it (shower/bath), using the shower to thoroughly wash it with my head upturned to get the greasy spots. I have tried varying WHEN I wash it, either morning or night to see if that helps but it doesn't. I tried BS and vinegar but it just left my hair looking the same, a fairly nice canopy and a greasy underside. I have varied the amount of shampoo and diluted it.

After almost 4 months of this, I tried CO last night in desperation. I woke up this morning to find the same problem again. I can't take it anymore!!! :'(

Has anyone had anything similar? I can't be the only one!

Thanks in advance for any help and support :)

Hotrox
November 15th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Are you saying that as soon as you wash your hair, not matter when, where and with what, it looks greasy straight away?

Hmmmmmm!

Have you considered your conditioner? Are you using too much, one that is too rich or applying it near to your scalp? Or could you have some silicone or other product build up?

Dreams_in_Pink
November 15th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Have you tried a clarifying shampoo?
Besides, i know that removing buildup isn't a one-step process; even with sls shampoo. I remember it took me a few lathering to remove the greasies i had and my hair's been clean ever since. Try to lather the problem areas well, at least twice. That should solve the problem.

alwayssmiling
November 15th, 2010, 02:34 AM
I agree with dreamsinpink - my hair gets terrible lank if I get a build up of conditioner. I now don't put conditioner anywhere near my fringe, I need it on the scalp to tame my frizz. I clarify regularly - I also like to alternate between heavy conditioners when my hair is dry but if the condition is healthy I will use a lighter conditioner that are aimed at greasy hair. I then use a leave in just at the very ends.

Dars
November 15th, 2010, 03:31 AM
Do you only wash the scalp and roots? If so try washing your length as well.

What temperature is the water you're using while washing/rinsing of product? Too cold and that might be the culprit of the greasy spots.

Are you using cones? Try doing a no cone clarifying wash.

Do you apply anything post shower to your hair?

You haven't mentioned how often you wash your hair besides that this has been occuring for 4 months. Maybe you wash your hair too often and it's trying to compensate the natural oils by going into overproduction.

If all else fails, go visit the doctor as some imbalances can be linked to oily hair.

Mutinous
November 15th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Perhaps try washing twice before conditioning? And a clarifying shampoo? Do you oil frequently as well? If so, it may be worth giving it a rest for a while, or using a much smaller amount.

Does it feel greasy as well, or just look greasy as you mentioned? If it is the former it is most likely a build up of some kind, if it is the latter I would suggest trying a different conditioner, as it may be too heavy for your hair.

I don't think diluting the shampoo will help here, if anything you need something a bit stronger to strip the hair of the build up. Wishing you luck :)

FrannyG
November 15th, 2010, 06:59 AM
One thing I've noticed about SLS free shampoos is that they often don't produce enough lather for you to fully lather your scalp.

The way I've gotten around that is to get a little bottle, pour in your usual amount of shampoo, add water, then shake it up a little.

This will improve the lather and the ability to spread it throughout the scalp.

If that doesn't work, then I also suggest that you use a clarifying shampoo once to get rid of buildup. Make sure you moisturize well afterwards, and then try your SLS free shampoo again (diluted with water as I mentioned above) for the next washes.

spidermom
November 15th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Seconding FrannyG's comment. Also, while clarifying, you might wash it once from the top (standing upright), then bend forward and wash it from the nape. Rinse well and apply conditioner, but keep it away from your scalp, rinse again.

jeanniet
November 15th, 2010, 08:01 AM
The other thing I would consider is your water. If it's very hard or has any kind of minerals in it, you can get buildup that makes your hair feel lank or greasy. I would try a good clarifying shampoo and follow with an ACV rinse (or use regular vinegar or citric acid). I have well water here, and have to use a weak citric acid rinse every time I wash my hair.

pepperminttea
November 15th, 2010, 08:14 AM
FrannyG's said it all really, but the only other thing that comes to mind is the thickness of your hair. I know sometimes when I'm in a hurry, I miss the underlayer a bit - it might be worth paying special attention to that area, both with applying shampoo and rinsing.

littlenvy
November 15th, 2010, 08:28 AM
I had that for a while after quiting WO and starting on other washes. Don't know what it was but I think it was buildup. I tried SLS-free shampoo and it didn't wash it either. Found out later that the sampoo was loaded with oils, which is great when you don't have any buildup but not so great when you do.
Bought another one which is also SLS free Avalon Organics Clarifying Lemon Shampoo (http://www.avalonorganics.com/?id=88&pid=27) and it works beautifully.
Now I'm OK with using the original SLS free shampoo with no oily effect.

lapushka
November 15th, 2010, 08:33 AM
With iii hair, for me, the only thing that really helps get my hair clean is using much more shampoo than is usually recommended here. I can't get anywhere with a coin size amount. I need at least about a palm's worth, or multiple coin size amounts for several sections. Make sure you rinse lots.

Also, make sure to only apply conditioner from the ears down (or even lower than that).