PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on these shampoo/conditioner

Horsetuna
November 14th, 2010, 10:16 PM
This is what I'm using so far. Your thoughts? I got it at a slon on sale, and I like the smell, doesnt smell like chemicals or artificial scents.

Shampoo:
water, olea europaea (olive) leaf extract, sodium Laureth sulfate, Disodium Lauroamophodiacetate, PEG-10, Olive glycerides, Cocamide MEA, Cocamidopropyl betaine, polysorbate 80, polyquaternium-4, Hydrolized wheat protein, PEG-12 dimethicone, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, Diazolindyl Urea, Methylparaben, propylparaben, fragrance/parfum, coumarin, benzyl benzoate, hexyl cinnimai, green 5 (Cl 61570), Yellow 5 (ci 19140)

Conditioner:
Water, Olea Europaea (olive) leaf extract, cetearyl Alcohol, stearalkonium chloride, cetermonium chloride, Olea Europaea (olive) fruit oil, olive oil PEG-7 esters, polysorbate 90, polypylene Glycol, Pantherol, hydroliyzed wheat protein, stearamidopropyl propylparaben, fragrance/parfum, green 5 (ci 61870), yellow 5 (Ci 19140)

aenflex
November 15th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I would be concerned with how your hair likes or doesn't like these products, versusu breaking down the ingredients. I mean if it works and you like your hair afterwards, than that should be what matters most :)
That said, both of these contain protein which can be a good or bad thing depending on your hair and whether it needs/likes protein. Also there is Diazolidinyl urea in the shampoo. I don't know much about it but it stuck out so I Googled:

About DIAZOLIDINYL UREA: Diazolidinyl urea is an antimicrobial preservative that acts as a formaldehyde releaser in cosmetics and personal care products.

This ingredient may be derived from animals. From PETA's Caring Consumer: Excreted from urine and other bodily fluids. In deodorants, ammoniated dentifrices, mouthwashes, hair colorings, hand creams, lotions, shampoos, etc. Used to "brown" baked goods, such as pretzels. Derivatives: Imidazolidinyl Urea, Uric Acid. Alternatives: synthetics.

Angelica
November 15th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Hi,

Here is a link where this ingredient is being discussed and the toxic effect:

http://beautifulwithbrains.com/2009/07/18/know-your-ingredients-diazolidinyl-urea/

Put your mind at rest, it probably is not urine! But the fact that it is used for embalming dead bodies is pretty disturbing.

I shall be checking all the stuff I use now to see if they contain this ingredient! lmao! You learn something new everyday :)

feralnature
November 15th, 2010, 04:42 PM
The products may work great for you, but I would not buy them for my hair. WHY? because my hair does not do well with "cones" and there is "dimethocone" in the shampoo. Also, the conditioner contains alcohol which is drying.

pepperminttea
November 15th, 2010, 04:54 PM
If I remember rightly, not all alcohols are drying; I think there are some that have the opposite effect? Hoping someone more knowledgeable will stop by this thread.

As for the ingredients generally; there's silicones and sulphates amongst other things, but if it works for your hair, why not? :)

jaine
November 15th, 2010, 05:02 PM
If I remember rightly, not all alcohols are drying; I think there are some that have the opposite effect? Hoping someone more knowledgeable will stop by this thread.

As for the ingredients generally; there's silicones and sulphates amongst other things, but if it works for your hair, why not? :)

Cetearyl alcohol is a fatty acid...it's not drying.

Khiwanean
November 15th, 2010, 05:04 PM
The alcohol in the conditoner is a fatty alcohol, so it should be ok.

The shampoo contains SLES (Sodium laureth sulfate), which I'm trying to stay away from, but it may work fine for you. The cone in the shampoo may or may not work well with your hair. The shampoo also contains hydrolyzed protein, so be watchful for protein overload.

It looks fine to me.

feralnature
November 15th, 2010, 05:09 PM

Sorry I am not knowledgeable enough.

jaine
November 15th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I personally wouldn't use it because of the undisclosed fragrance ingredient (too likely to irritate my skin), and the parabens (health concerns), and some other unfamiliar chemicals (I'm kind of OCD about only putting edible ingredients on my skin and vice versa). And the sulfates would dry my hair. Maybe it would work for someone who doesn't have sensitive skin though.

ETA: Google says that PEG-12 dimethicone is water soluble, in case buildup is your concern...you probably wouldn't have to worry about that. Plus it's in the shampoo along with SLS so it's likely to get washed out along with the shampoo.

Horsetuna
November 18th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks! I mostly wanted a breakdown of what's IN the shampoo. Seems like a little of everything