PDA

View Full Version : Will eating a healthy diet really make a significant change in your hair?

rosieex3
November 14th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Hi everyone, :)
My whole life I've never been a healthy eater (I'm 18 ). A few vegetables here & there, but that's really it. My weight was never an issue. These past couple of years I've really let my diet get bad. And now that I am a few pounds overweight I've decided to cut out all junk food, drink just water with my meals, and eat healthier in general. I know that a good diet can promote healthy hair growth, but has anyone really noticed a SIGNIFICANT change in your hair when changing to a healthier diet? Or is it just a little smoother/better looking? Any experiences would be great, thanks. :blossom: Any photos would be extremely helpful as well!

Tia2010
November 14th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Yes! At Least in my case I notice when I am eating very healthy my hair feels thicker , grows faster, and just has a better over all appearance. Even my stylist noticed a difference in my hair.

And I hate to sound like the old nag saying "eat healthy it will benefit you forever" ....but I am 41 now and while I have always eaten relatively healthy, I can only imagine how much better things could be if I had started at 18 :)

LawyerGirl
November 14th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I'm usually on the underweight side, and tend to lose extra weight if I'm under a lot of stress.... during the times when I am stressed I'll notice that my hair sheds a LOT. If I gain weight... especially if I eat more fat than normal (whole milk, whole fat yogurt, rich cheese, etc) my hair will look more shiny and full.

I guess it's not exactly what you were asking, because my hair doesn't generally notice if I'm eating sweets or salads, but just if I'm eating ENOUGH of things like fats and protein.

Katze
November 15th, 2010, 04:43 AM
I think overall health does make a difference. When I am under more stress, I eat more junk, and drink more coffee. Then my skin (eczema, SD) acts up and my scalp gets more itchy, then I shed more hair. So that is a clear and immediate reaction.

Overall I am trying to eat better (no 'S' diet) which does seem to affect my new growth - it is thick! - and my hair does seem happier overall since joining LHC. In comparison to most people I know I take a lot of supplements, and fish oil seems to make the biggest difference to both skin/scalp health, mood, and general well being. Biotin also made a huge difference in stopping my postnatal shed.

I think healthier people look healthy, and that mostly means healthy hair and skin. Drinking lots of water, not smoking, and taking care of your hair and skin do make a difference

*Seraphina*
November 15th, 2010, 05:31 AM
My hair shines more and grows faster when I eat healthy. I eat healthy most of the time. When I don't eat healthy I see that not only on the scale but also in my hair.

virgo75
November 15th, 2010, 05:49 AM
I think it depends on what your body needs and what it's missing.
For ex. you could eat a balanced diet + a bunch of junk food and I think your hair will grow just fine. But if you only eat junk and not much healthy food then it won't grow to it's full potential.

My eating is pretty balanced but I do notice that my hair grows faster in the winter and I suspect that it's because I eat eggs for breakfast in the winter much more than I do in summer.

whiteisle
November 15th, 2010, 06:18 AM
I have been following a primal/paleo diet for a couple of months now and have noticed a great improvement in hair growth. It's like super-charged right now. So I would agree that diet has a direct impact. When you include "junk" in your diet that also has a direct impact - for the worse. And I don't think that the "junk" is harmless even in the presence of healthy food either.

Mutinous
November 15th, 2010, 06:24 AM
I've noticed that having a regular meal schedule has improved the health of my hair, and indeed my health overall. My last job was shift based so I was eating here and there, and whatever I could, whereas now I am on regular hours and can plan meals it is a lot better. Eating relatively well three times a day has made signifcant difference, and my new growth is coming in a lot shinier and thicker.

Of course this isn't a linear cause and effect, my sleeping pattern has improved and I have started regular exercise as well, which I believe, alongside my better eating has had a noticeable effect.

mrs_coffee
November 15th, 2010, 06:25 AM
My hair always looks and feels the best when I eat quality protein and lots of healthy fat. I think it's probably an individual thing, as diets tend to be. I think the best thing to do is experiment and keep track of how your hair and skin and nails respond.

Lianna
November 15th, 2010, 06:52 AM
I think it affects hair more if you're eating less than what it needs, then it sheds. Eating a few fast foods once in a while won't hurt much. You're still getting the proteins and fats needed.

princessp
November 15th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Yes, when I was in grad school I ate junk and my hair was junk!

HairFaerie
November 15th, 2010, 09:39 AM
The simple answer is: yes. If you eat healthier, you will notice a difference in your hair (and skin and nails, too!).

I have seen a significant difference in my life when my eating habits were sub par as when compared to when I eat healthy.

You feel a lot better too! :)

AnnaJamila
November 15th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Yep, I can definately second this. My husband is Turkish (seems like I find a way to tie that into every post I make here!! Haha, guess it's a good thing that I'm proud of him!!!) and since being married my diet switched from gormet French to Meditteranean. I put on some weight but it's not like when I put on weight eating French food, it's more... I guess proportionate and my face didn't get puffy like it usually does when I gain ~10-15 pounds. On the up side I have a nice new tush! Haha, tmi I know, but anyway I've noticed that since starting this diet with lots of roughage and good fats and quality protein from about a million different sources my hair has just rocketed out of my head! It could also be the stress release of switching from an unhealthy living environment though. So onto you, dove, if you want a good, general guide to healthy eating with some easy recipies I recommend Dr. Mehmet Oz YOU On a Diet or any of his other health and wellness books (absolutely adore the one about beauty, lol next time I have a grad to buy for I'm getting the boxed set!). You can pop into the local library for a copy and my tiny one here in town even has it on audio book, so if you have a long commute or what have you just listen to it in the car. I like to listen to audio books while cleaning, I have something to occupy my ears but I don't find myself standing in front of the tv to "Just check whats going on" lol. Good health makes you feel good, so expect improvements in all areas of your life and kudos for taking the first step to taking care of yourself!

RecklessCharlie
November 15th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I believe it does. What's happening on the inside of your body always effects what's happening on the outside.
You want healthy hair, you must put healthy things in your body! :)

JulietCapulet
November 15th, 2010, 10:57 AM
It makes a big difference! In fact, it makes ALL the difference. I used to eat very badly and I had "junk food" hair. It was not pretty.

09robiha
November 15th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I have to admit, I dont eat particularly well. All to often coffee becomes breakfast and chocolate/candy bars become lunch but my hair is still growing. Granted it is growing slower, when I have spurts of healthy eating I get a little more but..well what can I say I am a sugar addict. Its something I should kick really.

Healthy eating is not just beneficial for your hair but your health and is defiantly a lifestyle you should consider!

little_cherry
November 15th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Of course it will. :) I eat a very balanced diet and exercise now. When I wasn't, my hair wasn't happy. :)

rosieex3
November 15th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Thank you so much everybody! :)

isbmlamloi
November 15th, 2010, 11:17 AM
A few years ago, I joined Weight Watchers and was a good member for over a year. As well as losing 30 pounds, I noticed my hair was growing faster and feeling wonderful in general. It's definitely a note I made for future reference. :)

feralnature
November 15th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Think about any animal we humans raise as show animals. A HUGE part of winning is having the animals, whether it is a show dog a show horse or a show goat, on a proper diet. Not only will the animal thrive and have a noticeable bounce in it's step, but it's coat will gleam and shine (and be free of a dull roughness and dullness which is associated wiith ill health). So of course in my opinion diet has MUCH to do with how your hair will grow out and look.

Lamb
November 15th, 2010, 01:16 PM
I think a healthy diet is only one factor.

Good digestion, regular hours, plenty of fresh air, exercise, and adequate sleep are all just as important as the components of your diet. You can eat all the lean proteins and vegetables in the world if you rarely get out and don't get enough sleep.

(My problem is that these all tend to fall by the wayside these days, and it shows on my hair - it has thinned out significantly in the past 2-3 months as a result. :()

MarshMallow
November 15th, 2010, 01:16 PM
It has alot to do with protein and healthy fats. Sadly I've been eating healthy and taking supplements for quite a while now, but my hair is in a slow grow stage. I wish I could find something to speed it up.

Yasmine91
November 15th, 2010, 02:41 PM
When I was obese my hair felt horrible, it was hay like, dry, frizzy, just horrible.

When I went on a diet where I only took in liquids, my hair grew fast but was still dry and hay like.

I am now eating much healthily and my hair has never felt so much more softer, it looks shiney, and is growing without any split ends :)

So yes I beleive eating healthily is a great aid to hair growth :)

feralnature
November 15th, 2010, 02:46 PM
And keep in mind that the hair that has alreay grown out of your head will not change in condition, only the new growth will be altered by any diet change.

christine1989
November 15th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I have never eaten healthy foods regularly and my hair has always been in pretty good condition. The only times my hair's health has declined has been when trying new medications.

feralnature
November 15th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I have never eaten healthy foods regularly and my hair has always been in pretty good condition. The only times my hair's health has declined has been when trying new medications.

You are young and your body has not had time for the years of abuse to show up yet. Start good habits now, all the way around, and you will be more than thankful later.

spidermom
November 15th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Hair is probably the least of the benefits. How about heart health and energy level; you'll see and feel quicker results in those areas.

StraduX
November 16th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I agree with what everyone else has said, there are many contributing factors and it's hard to isolate one to determine how important it is in hair health. However, eating healthy is probably the best thing you can do for yourself not just to benefit your hair, but almost all other aspects of your life.

Loviatar
November 17th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I consider that yes, a healthy diet will make your hair look and feel better, also your nails and skin. But there are better things that will happen too, all round physical health, internal organs like your heart, you will have more energy etc.

I am just starting out on a nuttritionist's program and he is doing great things for me. I have already started to see a difference in 2 weeks. Not a difference to my hair but to how I feel, my well being, energy levels and my depression. I am fascinated and will be tracking my progress.

Congratulations on recognising that you don't have a great diet and healthy lifestyle. You have started your own program and can now make your changes. I wish you much luck. I consider no food can taste as good as being healthy feels. (And I mean 'healthy', not 'thin' before anyone starts, as I know I'm paraphrasing a very negative comment there.)

enfys
November 17th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I agree with everyone who has said that a healthy lifestyle is more important than just healthy eating.

Hair is low on the body's priority list (compared to organs etc) so lots of things will probably improve before hair would.

I've been eating terribly recently and my hair seems to be shedding more. Whether it's seasonal or not I've started eating more healthily sooner rather than later. It can't hurt!

redheadlynn
November 17th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Since I have gluten issues, I notice drastic differences in my hair condition and growth and shedding when I don't follow a gluten-free diet. It's huge. I had to chop my hair a few times before I figured out that gluten was the cause of my health problems...