PDA

View Full Version : Not like your hair down?

Nenwing
November 14th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Anyone else here not really like the way their hair looks down?

I dunno, I think it is just my hair type to look bleh when down. I have hair that looks mostly straight, but there is just enough of a disoriented wave in there (1c type) to look odd, and not lay nicely. Also my hair always tends to separate into "sections", and gets staticky.

Lots of times I feel like if it were super straight or more nicely waved (or curly!) then it would look gorgeous. Its just that in-between look that ugh, just to me does not look attractive. So, I just tend to wear it up all the time.

JulietCapulet
November 14th, 2010, 07:02 PM
I have worn my hair up for most of my life...but I really like it down when it is straight.

YesitsReal
November 14th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I think a lot of us go through that stage at one time or another. I know I sure did. At one time I couldn't stand my texture either. Sometimes, though, a change in your routine (like trying CO or shampoo bars or ACV or something) can help in a way you don't expect, or maybe you'll just like it better as it gets longer. That's what happened to me--I didn't love my texture until it got to about APL. Now I really like to wear it down.

In the meantime, though, you can try changing it up by rag curling, plopping (you'd be surprised what plopping can do to slightly wavy hair), or wrapping to change up the shape. The more you work with it, the more you'll like it, I think.

Have fun!! :D

May
November 14th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I'm a little bit of the opposite and prefer my hair down! I have wurly hair so that might be why.

jaine
November 14th, 2010, 07:14 PM
I like my hair better up at the moment so that I'm not checking to see if it's even and symmetrical...haven't trimmed in a while and it shows. but I want more length before I get it trimmed.

FrannyG
November 14th, 2010, 07:15 PM
My hair is pin straight, but it is very fine, like yours, and I have 2 problems when I wear my hair down. First of all, my hair does tend to separate and look piece-y shortly after it's brushed, whether it's freshly washed or ready for a wash.

I used to really dislike that about my hair until a hairstylist of mine pointed out that it has its own unique look and he actually used product in some peoples' hair to achieve that piece-y look. After giving it a lot of thought, I finally began to accept that aspect of my hair.

My second problem is that my hair is so fine that the tips of my hair often want to get trapped in the weaving of my clothing, even fine cotton t-shirts. So that means that I have to toss my hair every so often if I'm wearing it down.

Having said all of that, I do like wearing my hair down when I want to feel attractive. I do wear my hair up most of the time, but I like to wear it down when I go out for an evening.

I think it just took me a while to love my hair just the way it is.

Maybe you'll see the true beauty of your own hair one day too. :blossom:

Eire
November 14th, 2010, 07:24 PM
I think I have similar hair to you, Nenwing. If I just let it air dry, it's bleh. Usually when I want to wear it down I braid it or bun it overnight to create a pretty, even texture. Luckily it has enough natural wave to hold a curl very well, even if it doesn't like to create nice waves on its own.

Nenwing
November 14th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Thank you for the replies!

YesitsReal, yeah who knows maybe I will like it better as it gets longer. Its been about 10 years since it was long (bsl), so I kind of forget what it was like. Right now my hair is at about shoulder, or a little below, plus it does have some odd looking layers in the back growing out, and they make almost a zigzag look, so that doesn't help!

FrannyG, that is true, people do try to achieve that piecey look sometimes.
I keep trying to make myself happy with what I have (its been a struggle over the years), lol sometimes I wish what nature gave me was like super pretty stunning hair, instead of blah brown hair with an odd thing going on! :o

Eh well, maybe I will try that plop thing to see what happens. I did at one point years ago manage to get it to look truly wavy by scrunching it up and putting some stuff in to help it stay.

Nae
November 14th, 2010, 07:56 PM
It is okay down, but I would rather hide it up for sure. Otherwise I start obsessing about how the ends look. They like to piece together and they are layered so they look thinner than I want and then I just.........argh. I put it back up!

mizsunshyne
November 14th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I am with you. I have a single wave in my hair and I don't know if it's a wave or just from where my ponytail is, but I don't like the way it looks so I keep it up. My hair is stick straight when it's really long, though, so hopefully it's just a matter of time!

tinygirl
November 14th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I am the opposite! I love my hair down and dislike it up, but that may be because I often have disagreements with my face...

It's a good thing though, if you like wearing your hair up if you're growing you hair! Lots of gorgeous protective updos.
I must say though, I am warming to wearing my hair up since joining LHC and discovering all these beautiful hairsticks!

aimison
November 14th, 2010, 10:12 PM
I rarely wear my hair down because it is wavy and develops snarls really easily if there's even the slightest breeze. Also, I think it makes my face look strange and "too long" when it's down--but that might be due to years of wearing it up in a bun or in a braid.

mellie89
November 14th, 2010, 11:38 PM
I have a pretty similar hairtype, Nenwing! How I feel about my hair when it's down really depends on how long it is. Shorter than shoulder length, and it just sticks to my face and does nothing. From shoulder to about BSL, it just kinda hangs there looking blah. It's finally laying a lot more nicely now that it's almost to BSL. The wanna-be waves are acting less like waves and more like straight hair because the weight is pulling them down.

My hair is piece-y and static-y no matter how long it is. I've learned to accept that. A drop of jojoba or coconut oil is excellent for combatting the frizzies!

DARKMARTIAN
November 14th, 2010, 11:42 PM
I enjoy wearing my hair "down down down". But whether or not I think it looks acceptable or not depends a lot on the weather and atmospheric conditions. If its "colder than a witches heart" out tharrr....I like it down. If its hotter than "eternal fire", then if you point your finger to the sky....thats how I like the hair. If its warm and humid....a lot of times ill either plait or ponytail....because I hate the way it kinks up around my face otherwise.
If its really windy, ill contain it at least temporarily somehow.....and thats pretty much it! :)

Oberon88
November 14th, 2010, 11:51 PM
I like it down sometimes. The weather here has been really dry, which doesn't do anything good for my hair. So, I've been wearing it up a lot.

Avvoltoio
November 14th, 2010, 11:56 PM
i love my and others hair down, i like to feel it, and see the whole hair and length on others.

MinderMutsig
November 15th, 2010, 12:08 AM
I think this is something that will resolve itself when your hair gets longer.

I have a wavy, wurly, straight thing going on too but the more length I get the more this evens out. When it was shorter I had these wurly curly bitīs in the front and at the nape that would never lay the way I wanted them while the back was straight and (in comparison) lacked volume.

What I did to get through that phase was to utilize the natural ability of my wavy hair to keep the shape that is was dried in. That is the great advantage of wavy or wurly hair! It can go both ways depending on how you dry it and it usually holds those curls or straight bits pretty well.

I put a bun in the back or curled sections of it and put it up with bobbypins and combed the front sections straight and pinned them back or slightly to the side flat and then just let it dry thoroughly. (No really, don't take it down if it's even the slightest bit damp or it won't work!)

It takes some experimenting to find out what way will let your hair fall the way you want it when it's dry but if you have figured it out it's a great way to style your hair to help it look good through those awkward phases.

Now that it's longer (near APL) I notice the front bits are stretched out more and the straighter bits in the back are getting wavier at the ends. It evens out more and I'm quite happy with it. Can't wait to see what it looks like when it gets even longer.

Robbin
November 15th, 2010, 12:11 AM
I wear it up late spring until late fall (it the southern US it's really a flexible time) but once it turns cold I want the ear and neck coverage and swap over to a low pony. Unless I'm having hot flashes ;) Then it's UP!

Marjolein
November 15th, 2010, 02:03 AM
Just another person telling you it will get better as your hair grows longer. I'm also a 1C, and approaching BSL. It's never been this long, and this is the first time in my life I've ever liked the sight of my hair down. Since the waves are so streched out at our hairtype, there really needs to be some length to be able to see them for what they are - waves, and not random flips and kinks.

*Seraphina*
November 15th, 2010, 02:58 AM
I don't like my hair down at the moment because the length.
I have the 'in between length' so it has to grow longer and hopefully I like to ware it down then.

Igor
November 15th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Well, mine is always up because I have no natural parting whatsoever and I kind of like being able to see!

Personally I find hair down and loose to be plain uninteresting :shrug: Its like the difference between showing me a plank of wood or the cool drawer you can make from it.
Hair down is just hair.
Hair up is cool techniques, details and variations and that interests me.

Igor
November 15th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Weird duplicate post

Nessie_
November 15th, 2010, 03:53 AM
I actually do like the way my hair looks when it's down, but it's so inconvenient that I almost never wear it that way. It keeps getting under the straps of my backpack or it keeps falling in front of my eyes. Also, my hair gets tangled very bad when I wear it down!

Theobroma
November 15th, 2010, 05:57 AM
I don't like the look of my hair down at the moment because the bottom 30% of my length is conspicuously thin from a large shed two years ago. The thickness is growing back, but the longer the thick part at the top gets, the more wispy the ends look. So I'm keeping it up all the time; I don't want to start doing microtrims to get rid of the thin ends until I gain some more length.

pepperminttea
November 15th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I don't like how my hair looks down either, apart from immediately after being combed. It separates into sections, which if I had more natural wave/curl would probably look quite nice, but as it is, it ends up looking a bit straggly. No matter though, I like wearing it up. :)

AspenSong
November 15th, 2010, 08:46 AM
My hair is pin straight and baby fine, so while I wish I loved it down more, I don't at times....just because it tangles very easily and is everywhere unless I have some oil on it - and then even just a bit of oil, makes it LOOK oily and more flat than usual. So I keep some oil on it and just keep it up usually.

bunzfan
November 15th, 2010, 08:54 AM
I constantly wear my hair up but thats just because i won't be happy till it's a bit longer. I do have fine hair but, it has quite a lot of wave in it which gives it some body but loses me about 2 inches in length!

spidermom
November 15th, 2010, 08:56 AM
It's not that I don't like it down, but it's such a pain - the tangles! hot! into everything I'm doing! - that I prefer it braided or put up.

tyrant1100
November 15th, 2010, 08:56 AM
I can't stand to have mine down. No matter how clean it is, it pieces together, shows scalp, tangles, and all the baby hairs around my face decide to make a break for either my mouth or nose at the slightest breeze. I'm also a very active person on a daily basis and it gets in the way of whatever it is I'm doing.

There are days, just to give my poor scalp a rest, that I do wear it down despite the discomfort, but even then I'm usually either wearing a headband to keep all those annoying baby hairs at bay or a half up.

sophiamarie
November 15th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I am liking my hair down more & more. It is now between shoulder and bsl, closer to bsl then to shoulder. I had 2 very small trims since August, and I am liking my hair more & more. I many days put it in a "half-up", but now even those are getting less. A few years back when my hair was past bsl not quite to waist, I always wore it down, rarely up. Curious how I'll feel this time around.

Nenwing
November 15th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Thank you all for the replies, especially those of you with similar hair types to mine saying it gets better as it gets longer!

My hair is longer than it was (I do need to take some update pics!!), but it is still at an awkward place. I tried doing a french braid, but because the way some of the layers end, it looks pretty wonky, and the end tail doesn't have much hair due to all the hair being lost up in the braid! Ah well, I'll get there I guess!

summergame
November 15th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I become crazy when my hair is down, i could let it down maximum for 3 hours and then it have to be out of my way. My hair is very heavy (but fine). My boyfriend likes it much more down but i don't do it! :D

heidihug
November 15th, 2010, 11:28 AM
When my hair is down, I have to walk around like Marcia and Jan Brady - you know, that stiff-necked, "don't turn your head too much" posture that long-haired girls in the '70's seemed to affect. If I move around at all with it dry and down, it tangles and pieces and gets staticky and climbs into everything freakin' thing I am near. And it really does NOT look good down - unless it's immediately after my once-yearly curling (see my signature pic).

I have to keep reiterating this to myself when I just want to cut it off - because, no matter the length, it doesn't look good down. I could cut back to BSL - and that would not change my hair type. The reason I grow my hair is so I can wear it up, because that's the way I like it and it looks its best. And I can't make awesome updos unless my hair is quite long because it's so thin and fine. I've learned that don't have to learn to love the way my hair looks down. But I have come to appreciate that my hair type lends itself well to the sleek and elegant updos that I do love.

abritta3
November 15th, 2010, 11:31 AM
My hair is curly and I typically wear it all the way up or half up because I have never *loved* the way it looks completely down...
I've tried layering it, coloring it, getting fringe, etc...haha
to no avail...
so I just use the half up and updos! oh! and french braids are awesome too ;)

Intransigentia
November 15th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I love how my hair feels when I wear it down, especially if my back or shoulders are bare. I hate how it behaves - staticky and catching in everything and tangling from the faintest breeze, and then if I pet it (which I have to!) it gets limp and piecey. It looks gorgeous from behind, but from in front it always tries to part in the middle which simply doesn't look good on me, and if I'm going to do stuff to make it stay side parted, I may as well put it up. And anyway, I like putting my hair up. that's why I'm growing it long, to be able to do neat stuff with it!

aenflex
November 15th, 2010, 12:27 PM
When my hair is long enough, I typically wear it up. But this time around, (I'm growing out a pixie), I have been forcing myself to wear it down, no matter how I feel about how it looks :) It's taken me a while but I am starting to get used to it. Now I wear my hair down a couple days a week, for really the 1st time in my life, and I'm into my 30's.

MAO
November 15th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Me! I'm never satisfied with the way my hair looks when it is down b/c the texture of my hair varies wildly, from the springy tight curls at my forehead to the occasional straight hair. It is especially driving me bonkers at the moment b/c it is so short right now that I can't even put it in a proper ponytail!

PrincessBob
November 15th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I'm right there with you. It clumps weirdly and poofs out everywhere! I tied holding it down with hippy style headbands (around the forehead) and my hair poofed out over the top, while the rest looked like a snarly chunky mess. I rarely ever wear my hair down, particularly out side my house.

enfys
November 15th, 2010, 01:14 PM
More than the look I hate the feel of my hair down. As a lifetime updoer I get really itchy if I can feel my hair on me.

If I wear it down it usually ends up getting greasy quite quickly because I have to push it out of my face constantly. It also clings to clothes and gets a horrible spread out cobweb look.

I think some hair is just not meant to be worn loose; mine is really trying to drop hints.

nemileo
November 15th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I know the feeling!! I don`t really like my hair down either, because it starts off great, and end up in separate strains after a while. Some stright, and some wavy. Looks like a coupple, or even three types of hair on the same head:p

I think I am 1c/2a, because my hair tends to almost curl in some areas. It is getting more stright now after I was pregnant, and I am shadding like a cat. But it still separates when I wear it down. At the end of the day I look like a crazy cave-woman, cause it tangles wildly in my neck too.

Buns, buns, buns...even my ponytails gets that weird three-hairtype look after a coupple of hours.

Angelica
November 15th, 2010, 04:18 PM
My hair definitely looks better up because it looks thicker up than down and it would actually take me a lot longer in the mornings to make it look good enough to wear loose. It is too fine and too straight to be worn loose.

Blueneko
November 15th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I definitely have 'bleh' days when my hair is down. I have a lot of new growth from my post pregnancy shed, so I have lots of 5-6" hair that pokes out all over, looks like wimpy bangs/ugly fringe.

To add insult to injury, if I try to do a ponytail or bun, these baby hairs make a halo of mess.

So I feel your pain!

embee
November 15th, 2010, 08:12 PM
I have not liked my hair down for many many years. In fact, since I started growing it I've tried to keep it up, that's some 20+ years now. Down, my hair tends to look "witchy", and not in a cool way. Also it become unkempt very quickly settling into strings like rat tails. Ick. Even freshly washed. Stringy thin hair. Not a good look for me! ;)

Nicolesid1
November 15th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I don't like it down. I obsess over my split ends and that I need a trim and every time I trim I feel like I need to trim more but I want the length. My boyfriend likes it down.

Ntaark
November 15th, 2010, 09:51 PM
For everyday adventures i like it up or braided, but if i'm going out i'll usually have it down or half up. The top layer of my hair gets frizzy, so i don't like to wear it down to often.

Dyefree
November 16th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Well since I've gone heat free and 'natural' so to speak, I've found I can't do anything that looks reasonably presentable so I pin it up all the time. My hair is chin length and looks so thick, wild and pouffy at the roots that I have to tie it up... I'm hoping that once it grows the weight of the hair will pull it down....:)

Besides the up- dos are keeping my hair protected :)

Deborah
November 16th, 2010, 07:39 AM
My hair looks good down, but it annoys me too much to leave it that way. It is always in the way of whatever I am doing, and it makes me feel too warm, like I have a blanket on my back. So I like it better up and out of the way.

bte
November 16th, 2010, 07:48 AM
My hair is wavy, but it always looks untidy loose, so I prefer to wear it in a ponytail, which is also more convenient.

Pixna
November 16th, 2010, 08:58 AM
I don't think my hair looks horrible down, but it's certainly not my preferred look. It also gets in the way of everything. I far prefer my hair up, which is how I wear it all the time. I only wear it down when I'm sleeping.

Nenwing
November 19th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Yeah I think I just really need to accept the fact that unless I do something drastic (like curl it or straighten it and put lots of gunk in it), it is just not going to look nice like I want it to down.

No matter what I seem to try, it always ends up looking scraggly and piecy and static everywhere, and I just get mad at it for not looking nice. Unless there is some miracle product out there that I just haven't stumbled across yet, I think my hair is just better up!

allik
November 21st, 2010, 05:50 PM
I can't seem to leave my hair alone when it is down. I am always afraid that it looks terrible even when it doesn't so as a result my hair usually ends up in a bun if it is curly, or in a pony tail if it is straight.

Shellby
November 21st, 2010, 06:03 PM
I like the way it looks, just can't deal with it! Makes me crazy. In my face, my mouth, stuck to my lip gloss, caught under my arm, in my face some more, etc. I can take it for a short time and then braid or up it goes. Hubby likes it down.

Xandergrammy
November 21st, 2010, 06:08 PM
I prefer to wear my hair up or braided because it's very big and gets in the way at work.

freckles
November 22nd, 2010, 06:52 AM
I'm not currently keen on the way my hair looks down. It gets stringy even if freshly washed, except IMMEDIATELY after brushing. I like to take it down and brush it and I like it when I'm sat still and it's down, but I don't think it *stays* looking good it it's down. Plus, it gets in the way. A half up can make it look acceptable but I'm still not in love with it. I'm considering trying more product or heat styling in the future maybe if I never start to love it down, but for now I'm just enjoying up-dos :)

cmnt831
November 22nd, 2010, 07:28 AM
I like my hair down on the day I wash it. That's when the curl looks best. After that, I keep it up until the next wash day, because the curls get stringy and tangled and just look unkempt.

carrotkilla
November 22nd, 2010, 07:57 AM
I hate wearing my hair down and it is only shoulder length. I'm one of the ones hoping that it will be better when it is longer. It has been 7 years since I have had any length to it so it might be one of those grass is greener on the other side moments.