PDA

View Full Version : Sea kelp question ?

bunzfan
November 14th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I started taking sea kelp a month back as i was told in my local health food shop it could really help with growth i started taking 3 tablets a day. Just two days later i woke with the most painful crippling stomach pain but only associated this about a week later with my new vitamin so of course i stopped taking it.

Could i of taken it differently maybe? are you meant to build up gradually how much you take? please note i am currently taking this vitamin http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=699&prodid=742

Do you have any suggestions?

pixistixx
November 14th, 2010, 01:42 PM
hmm.... i checked the link but couldn't see the ingredients. If there is zinc in it, chances are that is what is causing the stomach pain. Just make sure you take it on a full stomach, and that should remedy it. I find I can't take more than 25 mg in one dose because otherwise I get really nauseous and bad stomach pains. :). Kelp is a good source of iodine, so as long as you don't have any thyroid problems, it should be okay to take. Some people are extra sensitive to iodine, and it can have a kind of detox effect, so some people break out initially, but that should go away in a couple of weeks. When I started taking iodine (kelp tabs), just the minimum dose, I had some sore scalp pimples, but they also went away fairly quickly.

bunzfan
November 14th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the advice i always took it after meals and i have no thyroid problems that i know of maybe i could try it slowly this time and take a lower dose. When i woke with these terrible pains i did feel very sick myself i just noticed my vitamin dose contain Silica.

McFearless
November 14th, 2010, 01:55 PM
I think you should ask a doctor about this. I know loads of people drink sea kelp soothies for weight loss and cleansing. I haven't heard anything associated with hair growth.

Maybe wait a couple of days and start off with one tablet a day for a few weeks..then two..etc.

princessp
November 14th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Interesting, I didn't know it was associated with hair growth either. I have been tossing this stuff in my soup for years ( I really like Pacific Arame for my soups too).

I have had no trouble with it reacting badly with my system, but I don't take caplets either. Could it be a dosage thing? For soup, I find you only need a little.

Igor
November 14th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I knew it was taken for hair growth because of the minerals, but this is the first time I see sea kelp pills directly targeting hair

My first thought was that it could be too rough on an empty stomach especially if you take all 3 at once, but since this isn’t the case I wonder if it could be allergy

I had the same reaction when I tried aloe vera pills targeting digestion and it left me with a burning sensation in the stomach and painful cramps

pixistixx
November 14th, 2010, 05:02 PM
the funny thing about aloe, is that if they don't remove the bitter latex sap between the gel and the leaf, it can be very unpleasant digestion wise... aka a purgative. It usually doesn't cause problems when the cut leaf is soaked and the latex drained out, unless you have a salicylate allergy. I know some people that have gotten "burns" on their face from aloe because of this.. seemingly harmless little aloe :(

bunzfan
November 15th, 2010, 07:13 AM
I knew it was taken for hair growth because of the minerals, but this is the first time I see sea kelp pills directly targeting hair

My first thought was that it could be too rough on an empty stomach especially if you take all 3 at once, but since this isn’t the case I wonder if it could be allergy

I had the same reaction when I tried aloe vera pills targeting digestion and it left me with a burning sensation in the stomach and painful cramps

Thank you all for trying to help :) i think you may be right Igor about having a bad reaction to them i just wanted to check if anyone else had a similar reaction. I always took them after meals and spaced it out throughout the day, i do have problems with my digestion so i could just of been unlucky.