PDA

View Full Version : Curly hair with stubborn ends...grrrr

abritta3
November 14th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Hi everyone
I am a little frustrated with my hair! The curls form nicely from the root all the way down to about the last 2inches of my hair and they straighten out a bit...looking sort of wispy.
This isn't true of all my curls, some of the ends curl just fine...I have combination curly hair but I don't understand how to enhance the curls at the ends.
I have done the plopping technique, I have used curl formers (out of desperation) and I have been leaving in conditioner in for extra amounts of time now to see if it is perhaps a lack of hydration?

My canopy around the face is quite wavy rather than spirals like the rest of the hair so if any curly folks can relate or clue me in on how to get these curls to unify themselves a bit more with the rest of my hair without using curlformers or a curling iron, please let me know!

Thank you

manderly
November 14th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Are they damaged? I know mine were and they did the same thing. The only thing that fixed this was letting them go.

McFearless
November 14th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Are they damaged? I know mine were and they did the same thing. The only thing that fixed this was letting them go.

I was just going to say that. Curls straighten when they've be flat ironed one too many times. Could that be the issue?

Dars
November 14th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I also agree with the above posters and have pictures in my album to show the difference.

Though, perhaps you should clarify your ends, then moisturise and check how they react. There might be build up depending on what product(s) you use.

Eire
November 14th, 2010, 03:55 PM
When the ends of my hair are being wispy or poofy I apply some coconut oil, and it does the trick. Whether that's masking the problem of damaged ends or only offering a temporary solution, I'm not sure. It might be a good quick fix until you figure out the source of the problem, though.

Atira
November 14th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Mine are like that too.. Now, I don't iron or heat style- though they have been dyed too many times probably) i think it can be just a weird thing with curly hair. Some of my curls do that too- but not all of them.

girlcat36
November 14th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I agree with clarifying--it can make a world of difference.
Going cone and sulfate-free helped my ends immensely. I used to get stick straight ends on my 3a hair that would eventually just break off. Going cone-free stopped the straight ends and breakage.
Sometimes just a tiny 'dusting' of the ends can help curls reform.
My hair type can range from 2c to 3b. Lately I have been using oil shampoo, and this has helped my hair to look more unified.
Here is the oil shampoo thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57025

Maybe it will help your hair, too! :)

rambut panjang
November 14th, 2010, 09:35 PM
I wonder if it could be the haircut you have? I have curly hair too and used to be able to get Ouidad haircuts when I lived in a big city. If you are near any of the Ouidad salons I really recommend them. I think it has something to do with when the hair is in spirals, the inside of the spiral has a shorter distance to travel than the outer part. So with a cut intended for straight hair, the ends turn out uneven and wispy. With a Ouidad cut, the ends just somehow perfectly clump together. I really wish that their method of cutting curly hair was more widely known by stylists. I was able to grow my hair out much longer when I was able to go to Ouidad regularly.

manderly
November 15th, 2010, 10:30 AM
^^ If you can't find Ouidad stylists near you, try finding a Deva stylist. They use a different cutting method, but they do great curly cuts too (I got mine cut there and loved it).