PDA

View Full Version : Cool setting on hair dryer?

Nenwing
November 14th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I do use a blow dryer when I have to go to work earlier, and just need to get it mostly dry. I use the low setting, and try and only use it for like a few minutes.

My dryer does have a cool setting on it, though it dramatically reduces the air flow when I press the button, it still works, sending out cooler air. Is there such a thing as a hair dryer that only blows cool air?

I would think it is the heat that is the damaging part, not the air flow.

luxepiggy
November 14th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I know there are hair dryers that have a cold switch that you flip on, instead of a button that you have to hold down continuously. I always use the cold shot to give my hair extra shine! Kind of the same idea as the cold final rinse in the shower (^(oo)^)

lapushka
November 14th, 2010, 11:23 AM
There's nothing wrong with warm air either, IMO. It's just when it gets too hot for even your hands or scalp to bear, that's when it's too hot for your hair, esp. if you stay in one spot for too long (with some dryers you could burn yourself). If you move the dryer around a lot and don't use the hottest setting, it should be perfectly fine!

I don't get --at all-- that a blow dryer can be labeled *so* damaging. Why is it that everyone should just stop using something as useful as this? Who made that rule, anyway? In all my years of blow drying, I've not seen any damage from it.

I'm not waiting hours for my hair to dry, that's for sure!

Nenwing
November 14th, 2010, 11:35 AM
There's nothing wrong with warm air either, IMO. It's just when it gets too hot for even your hands or scalp to bear, that's when it's too hot for your hair, esp. if you stay in one spot for too long (with some dryers you could burn yourself). If you move the dryer around a lot and don't use the hottest setting, it should be perfectly fine!

I don't get --at all-- that a blow dryer can be labeled *so* damaging. Why is it that everyone should just stop using something as useful as this? Who made that rule, anyway? In all my years of blow drying, I've not seen any damage from it.

I'm not waiting hours for my hair to dry, that's for sure!

Hmm, yeah it does seem to me warm air would be okay. Air that is too hot to hold your hand in front of seems too hot though. I always try to move it around a lot so its never in one spot for more than like a second.

I can see though how curling irons and flat irons could damage hair with too much use, as that is too hot to even touch.

Jenn of Pence
November 14th, 2010, 03:10 PM
I don't think my hair gets any drier any faster on "cool" than air drying. ;) I usually just try to hit the roots briefly with "warm" if I need to blow dry, which has been a bit more of late now that it's getting cold. Yeah, I don't know of a dryer with only a "cool" setting, either, but many have the option, which is nice, especially if you want extra shine like Luxepiggy.

jaine
November 14th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Mine has a cool setting that doesn't require holding down a button ...conair ion shine 1875. I got it at a drugstore.

Dreams_in_Pink
November 14th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Mine also has temperature settings (and ion settings) both together produce quite cold air. I don't think it does any damage, unless your hair's prone to tangles. Blowing air may cause some nasty tangles in fine/medium hair.

enfys
November 14th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I always think the hair blowing around is what causes damage. It would be for me anyway. When I do blow dry I make sure my hand is feeling the air flow so it is never too hot and use my hand to sort of direct my hair down sp it can't tangle. My drier has a cool button that I just use for setting my hair. If I left it to cool down on it's own it would be really flat. I've never seen or had a constant cool button myself.

Spring
November 14th, 2010, 05:04 PM
I have the blow dryer that you have to hold the button for cool air, but I'm able to press the button while gripping the handle simultaneously, so it's really convenient. When I press the cool air button, it speeds the air up.

I think it's believed that the force of air blow drying in different directions will lift our cuticles,... so hopefully we're diminishing the damaging effects by blow drying downward

Silver Strands
November 14th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I used my dryer the other day since it was so cold out.
I always used to bend at the waist and blow dry the scalp/roots.
I had forgotten what great lift this gives my hair. It looked great for days after.

My dryer has a cold button you have to hold down but I didn't use it. The warm air felt so nice.

marikamt
November 14th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I use my blow dryer..... I use my hands to 'fluff/ ruffle" my hair.... I figure if it doesn't burn my hands, it won't damage my hair.......

Garnetgem
March 25th, 2016, 04:17 PM
I always use warm setting then a bast of hot not too much then lastly i use cool shot on the dryer,my hair is always silky shiny despite my drying habits...

Shimmy
March 25th, 2016, 04:43 PM
Mine does.... it's a Ragalta 5-in1 styler....... it's also small that's why I love it so.