PDA

View Full Version : Wow,they really don't know anything..

mali
November 14th, 2010, 08:26 AM
How to prevent hair damage (http://www.howcast.com/videos/416232-How-to-Prevent-Hair-Breakage?p=6286#comments_content_module) - Howcast.

Yeah,right:rolleyes:

UltraBella
November 14th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I don't see what was so wrong with the advice.

Carolyn
November 14th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Other than the advice to trim every 8 weeks, I thought most of the tips were pretty good. Cones aren't evil for everyone and I don't think heat styling on a cooler setting once in a while hurts my hair.

Fractalsofhair
November 14th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Trimming can cause issues by making your hair growing slower, but if you have a lot of damage, it is helpful. The silicones are too heavy for my hair(and seal out moisture, for me), so they make it break, but they do help many people with tangling. The biggest issue with them is buildup. I'm not sure why they think braids are bad though, since they aren't that tight! The advice about avoiding brushing and using a wide toothed comb is quite good.

UltraBella
November 14th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Trimming does not make your hair grow slower. Cutting your ends off has no effect on your growth at the scalp.
I have always trimmed every two months or so, I like to keep my layers fresh.

squiggyflop
November 14th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Trimming does not make your hair grow slower. Cutting your ends off has no effect on your growth at the scalp.
I have always trimmed every two months or so, I like to keep my layers fresh.
i think when she said "grows slower" she meant to say gains length slower.. which has definitely been the case for me as ive trimmed more than 20 inches since joining.. but the damage had to go.. and who wants knee length hair thats all yucky (thats about how long it would be if i hadnt had to trim it)

lapushka
November 14th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I don't see what was so wrong with it, either, except that they promote silicone as the solution to every problem. Trimming every 8 weeks at the latest, I get that, it's if you want to maintain a style, of course. And the silicone, I kinda get that too esp. with all the dyeing and bleaching and what else regularly goes on in hair salons.

The advice is not really given for people wanting to grow their hair out.

May
November 14th, 2010, 09:03 AM
I don't see what was so wrong with the advice.

Yeah, I don't either. I think, for the most part, it's pretty good advice.

UltraBella
November 14th, 2010, 09:07 AM
i think when she said "grows slower" she meant to say gains length slower.. which has definitely been the case for me as ive trimmed more than 20 inches since joining.. but the damage had to go.. and who wants knee length hair thats all yucky (thats about how long it would be if i hadnt had to trim it)

I don't make assumptions about what someone meant to say, so I am taking her post at face value and going by the words she actually used. And she did state that trimming makes your hair to grow slower.

spidermom
November 14th, 2010, 09:12 AM
I used to have my hair trimmed every 6 to 8 weeks while I was growing it. I gained 5.5 inches of length per year. With no trimming, I gain 7 inches of length per year. That's not a huge difference.

I think the advice was pretty good for the most part.

mali
November 14th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Hold on,people! This is what is wrong with that advice:

1.Use a silicone shampoo-''Use a silicone shampoo as your first line of defense: it helps prevents breakage by making hair easy to comb. Work it in gently with your fingertips; scrubbing too hard can rough up the cuticles, leaving hair vulnerable to split ends. Then, apply a compatible silicone conditioner. Silicone protects hair 2 ways — it helps lock in moisture, and creates a barrier between your hair and the environment.''

Silicone GENERALLY dries hair and GIVES the appeareance of healthy hair,but in no way does it make it healthy.Damaged hair=generally dry hair.They said:use a restorative shampoo.SILICONES are not restorative.

2.Avoid braids.What?Braids are protective styles in most of the time,especially if they are high and not tight.

3.Trimming doesn't make your hair grow slower.

The annoying thing about this video,apart from the the fact that the 3 most important tips in the vid,are wrong,is the Pantene commercial afterwards.:mad:

MoonlightShadow
November 14th, 2010, 09:29 AM
I didn't really have a problem with the advice except for silicone shampoo:confused:...i don't even think i've heard of a silicone shampoo . i dnt think trimming every 8 weeks would be too bad. :):o

ktani
November 14th, 2010, 09:35 AM
I do not have a problem with any of the advice. I did not see trims and hair growing slower unless I read too fast. I did see this, "ultimately — the breakage that keeps your hair from growing longer" http://www.howcast.com/videos/416232-How-to-Prevent-Hair-Breakage?p=6286#comments_content_module

Ah, that came from here. Ooops. No, trimming does not affect hair growth one bit, just the illusion of it.

Niwa
November 14th, 2010, 09:48 AM
The advice is ok for some people, but the absence of disclaimers, or any acknowledgment at all that the advice might not work for a lot of people, really limits the utility. For example:

Step 3: Use a restorative shampoo

Use a silicone shampoo as your first line of defense: it helps prevents breakage by making hair easy to comb. Work it in gently with your fingertips; scrubbing too hard can rough up the cuticles, leaving hair vulnerable to split ends. Then, apply a compatible silicone conditioner. Silicone protects hair 2 ways — it helps lock in moisture, and creates a barrier between your hair and the environment.

Look for products with either silicone or silicone-based derivatives, such as dimethicone, cyclomethicone, and other ingredients ending in -cone.
Um, yea, no. For me and many people, "restorative shampoo" is an oxymoron and silicone conditioners are absolute no-nos.

Step 4: Rinse thoroughly

Always apply a leave-in conditioning cream before styling.
Doing this caused me a lot of matting and unnecessary breakage. Because advice like this is everywhere and leave-in conditioners are advanced as absolute musts for hair, it took a long time for me to realize that leave-in creams just do not work for my hair.

Following the list on that site would be a sure way to promote breakage of my hair. I really need those who write such articles to start being more responsible and acknowledging the diversity of heads of hair. I am not even asking for how-tos that cater to my head of hair (that'd be positively unreasonable of me). I am just asking that a set of rules that applies mostly to straight hair of medium thickness growing out of an oily scalp not be advanced as the rules for everyone to live by.

nellreno
November 14th, 2010, 09:51 AM
The point of the video is to tell people that limiting damage on your hair is the best way to keep your hair healthy, which is exactly what most people here say. It's sponsored by Pantene, so of course they're going to advertise their own products.

I assume most people take advice like what was in the video with a grain of salt and won't blindly follow the advice without thinking about what's best for their individual hair first.

Catia
November 14th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Cut at least one-half inch above the damage to make sure you’re getting every frayed strand.

This of course is in addition to "No longer then every 8 weeks".

This is definitely for maintaining length, and depending on what "at least" means - it would mean less length actually.

Not an article for growth IMO.

And did anyone else notice the way she piled her hair on top of her head and shampooed the length? It wasn't a "tip" ... but not a good idea regardless.

GlennaGirl
November 14th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Way back when I used to color my hair blonde (I stopped in...I don't know...might have been 2000-ish?), I did lose more length than I gained if I didn't trim. That's not so now, but at the time, I had severe damage and I would literally see little flecks of hair on my towel whenever I washed my hair. I would lose more on the ends each month than I gained as real growth.

spidermom
November 14th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I'd rather use a silicone serum after I wash and condition because I can control exactly how much goes on my hair. I love cones because they make my hair so much easier to comb, which I think prevents a lot of damage I would otherwise get from fighting with tangles and knots. So I still don't see anything wrong with the cone advice. I think cones do help to seal in moisture, and such products don't attract dust and lint like oil does.

UltraBella
November 14th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Sorry, Mali, but I have to disagree with you. Cones are not for everyone, but some hair/people love them and need them. They do make detangling much easier for many and cones can protect hair and they do lock in moisture.

pepperminttea
November 14th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Considering it's mainstream, I didn't think it was too bad. 'Cones work for some people, though admittedly the word "restorative" is misleading. I don't need to trim anywhere near that often - but perhaps someone who uses heat tools a lot (even on dry hair) and wears it down 100% of the time does. :shrug: I think what annoyed me most was "twirl it!" since I used to get a lot of damage from doing that too often.

Carolyn
November 14th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Not everyone is a cone-o-phobe. They aren't evil for everyone's hair. Ideally there could have been a mention of the need for an occasional clarifying. And yes of course it promotes cone usage. It's made by Pantene and promoting Pantene products in the video. I really liked the end of it where they said to flip and flaunt and enjoy your hair.

lapushka
November 14th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I actually thought it was pretty awesome they mentioned detangling with a wide tooth comb.

Lianna
November 14th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Different things work for different people. Braids make my hair dry, weird, huh?

UltraBella
November 14th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I didn't see where it said braids make hair dry. I only read avoid tight braids to limit damage. Which is true, tight braids can cause damage.

ravenreed
November 14th, 2010, 12:24 PM
I thought the advice was okay. If one is blowdrying, etc., etc., one probably NEEDS a trim that often. I don't use Pantene because I am horribly allergic to it, but I have nothing against cones. If I ever went back to regular shampooing, I would probably use cones again.

ktani
November 14th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I did not watch the video the first time. I just read the information. The entire piece is sponsored by Pantene so of course, silicones are promoted.

Still, the advice is very sound. What is missing is just that the hair will need to be clarified every so often. However, that is equally true with using many conventional and many natural products without silicones in the mix. I see absolutely nothing wrong with the video or script.

Personal preferences, sensitivites and allergies aside, this was very well done!

The conventional shampoo I use, Sunsilk Lively Blonde, contains 1 cone, and does not build-up and it removes enough catnip treatment each time that I do not need to clarify my hair. I just lucked out with that combination for my routine.

Lianna
November 14th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I didn't see where it said braids make hair dry. I only read avoid tight braids to limit damage. Which is true, tight braids can cause damage.

I didn't watch the video (from all the comments I didn't need to), my comment about braids was because she made a general remark about braids being good. Which for most people I supose they are.

Funny thing is I'm growing my hair just to be able to side braid, I think is the most beautiful thing!

Mutinous
November 14th, 2010, 12:49 PM
As far as commercial hair advice goes I thought this was pretty good. It's all subjective. Think, the market they are aiming for probably do heat style their hair on a regular basis (hence the fact they mentioned to not heat style on wet hair and try to blow dry on a cool setting) so the idea of trimming every 8 weeks is probably not that far off the mark. The splits you could potentially get from heat styling would need regular trims to prevent them getting worse.

I mean, there has never been conclusive evidence that cones are bad for your hair, or indeed that they lock out moisture, as far as I know it's based on personal experience/preferences. If this is not the case I would love someone to hook me up with some data/research.

So yeah, not for everyone, but they obviously know their market well and they have some solid advice in there so... *shrugs*.

Fractalsofhair
November 14th, 2010, 12:53 PM
UltraBella, I mean less visible length grown. Squiggyflop explained it quite well, and personally, I find if my hair is damaged, and I trim off the breaking split ends, it appears to grow faster on the bottom, as less is breaking off. But if it's healthy, it gains length much slower as I am trimming off healthy hair. Given the way many people treat their hair(daily styling with hot tools, color, chemical straightening, daily shampooing, not terribly gentle combing, no nice gentle updos, alcohol based hairsprays!) they might be experiencing breakage more than people who are very careful with their hair, and might need the frequent trims to let their hair grow longer. Depends how damaged their hair is, and how much it can stand of the treatments, and if they'd rather have those results from the flat iron or very healthy very long hair. ( I think the ad is directed at people who want BSL to hip at the most, not extremely long hair(which I mean in the best of all possible ways!) ) The trims might allow one to have reasonably healthy relatively long hair.

In regards to a restorative shampoo, I think that restorative generally implies gentle, with a bit of a detangler in it. A cream shampoo might be restorative. Certainly, it can't help that much, given the short amount of time, but compared to clarifying, I'd rather have a gentle one which strips fewer of my natural oils(which are doing the restoring :D)

Alvrodul
November 14th, 2010, 01:34 PM
The advice in that vid was a sort of "one size fits all" attempt, i think. It is not _bad_ advice, really and would certainly make sense to people who are not as hair-obsessed as us LHCers. Though of course there will be people whose hair won't tolerate the regimen that was recommended.
Take cones. Many LHCers don't use cones. I avoid them, though my hair actually tolerates them fairly well. So the part in the vid that recommends cones probably wouldn't impact my hair all that much. But there are those here whose hair does not tolerate cones at all. So following that advice would be a very bad idea for them.
The other advice that evidently causes dispute is the bit about trimming. It is not bad advice to trim your hair regularly. Personally I tend to avoid the shears for as long as I can, and I think many LHCers who try to gain as much length as possible are also likely to do so. Getting rid of those split ends is necessary to keep my hair happy, though. I did a small self trim recently - it was then about 4 months since the last trim - and my ends were much happier after they were trimmed. I also S&D. For people with damaged hair, regular and frequent trims would certainly be a necessity. For a LHCer, or anybody who pampers and cares for her hair, it is likely that frequent trims isn't so critical. I suppose it really comes down to what the individual's hair is like, and how it is treated.

In any case, I don't really think LHCers are the main target of this infomercial.

squiggyflop
November 14th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Sorry, Mali, but I have to disagree with you. Cones are not for everyone, but some hair/people love them and need them. They do make detangling much easier for many and cones can protect hair and they do lock in moisture.
:) i agree with this post.. i cant even finger-comb without heaps of cones.. my hair would dread itself in a week without cones.. and yet i know of others who cant use them.. everyone is different

Silver Strands
November 14th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I thought it was very good advice. I'm sure most people don't know how to handle their hair very gently.

I tried to go cone free after coming here and ended up wasting lots of money and products trying to change what worked best for my hair all along.
I have come full circle since coming here and do most everything now that I did before. I've always been gentle with my hair.
I even used the blow dryer on my roots the other day because it was so cold and I had lift for days! I had forgotten how nice my hair used to look after doing that. No more plastered to the scalp look for me.

Also, about the trimming.
I found it so amusing that when I first came here there were a few members whose hair was a couple inches longer than mine who lamented about trimming off the damage of their hair.
I had cut into a short shag to get rid of henna and so stayed at collarbone length and trimmed all the layers off for a year and a half.
4 years later, my hair is longer than the ones who were groaning about trimming. They are still trimming off damage or ended up trimming more because the damage caused more damage.
So, I believe fully in trimming regularly especially if you have damage.
In fact, I believe in getting rid of it in 1 painful swoop and going or "growing" from there.

Lamb
November 14th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I mean, there has never been conclusive evidence that cones are bad for your hair, or indeed that they lock out moisture, as far as I know it's based on personal experience/preferences. If this is not the case I would love someone to hook me up with some data/research.

Ktani has an awesome article here, on debunking the "silicone myth" - check it out! It's well worth a read.

Silicones aren't evil any more than any other ingredient in hair- or skincare products. Some people are happier without them, but there are very few for whom they mean absolute and immediate disaster.

As for the video, the only thing I found really wrong in it was the hairwashing scene (piling hair on top of the head, rubbing it with the towel). :shrug: It's pretty sound, otherwise.

spidermom
November 14th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I found it so amusing that when I first came here there were a few members whose hair was a couple inches longer than mine who lamented about trimming off the damage of their hair.
I had cut into a short shag to get rid of henna and so stayed at collarbone length and trimmed all the layers off for a year and a half.
4 years later, my hair is longer than the ones who were groaning about trimming. They are still trimming off damage or ended up trimming more because the damage caused more damage.
So, I believe fully in trimming regularly especially if you have damage.
In fact, I believe in getting rid of it in 1 painful swoop and going or "growing" from there.

So true; I've noticed the same thing. I always hack off noticeable damage as I would rather my hair be shorter than knotting up all the time.

Silver Strands
November 14th, 2010, 02:56 PM
So true; I've noticed the same thing. I always hack off noticeable damage as I would rather my hair be shorter than knotting up all the time.

Plus the added the bonus that it looks so much nicer with the bad ends cut off.
I have seen some horrible heads of hair in real life but i've seen a few on here too.
I have to prevent myself from typing: "Just cut it off and be done with it."

ktani
November 14th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Ktani has an awesome article here, on debunking the "silicone myth" - check it out! It's well worth a read.

Thank you!

It is also in my blog below.

mali
November 14th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Again,they said: silicones=restorative shampoos.I didn't say they aren't any good,I just said that they don't restore hair.People actually think they do and buy them,get build-up,than their hair looks horrible and than they straighten/curl/style hair as much as they can--damage.How is it protective?I use silicones too and I agree they work,but they don't restore hair.

christine1989
November 14th, 2010, 04:36 PM
It was kind of hit and miss. A lot of what was said was sound advice and silicone has its good and bad points but I would think that using a silicone shampoo would interfere with the absorbtion of the conditioner.

princessp
November 14th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I really didn't know too much about silicones until coming here. And truth be told I still don't know a heck of a lot. But I have found that like with my food and other beauty products the less they are processed the better. Silicones are also not so great for the environment (I believe Canada has even outlawed a few varieties, not sure if they are hair silicones though). So while they might be just fine for hair, there is still the possibility they might be doing some environmental harm. Truthfully, I don't really have a dog in this fight and could probably be convinced with a good argument (I'll check out Ktani's article). But it felt a little one sided here so I'm trying to stick up for the "no cones" argument.

As for the trimming, I don't know about that either. I haven't trimmed since before last March. Maybe a little trim would help my hair grow better, but right now I don't feel like I can lose any length. And truthfully, in the past I've been real lazy about trims and my hair has always grown well. So I don't know maybe this depends on the individual.

Okay so admittedly my contribution to this thread is a bit lukewarm :p

spidermom
November 14th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Again,they said: silicones=restorative shampoos.I didn't say they aren't any good,I just said that they don't restore hair.People actually think they do and buy them,get build-up,than their hair looks horrible and than they straighten/curl/style hair as much as they can--damage.How is it protective?I use silicones too and I agree they work,but they don't restore hair.

Silicones don't build up if washed with shampoos.

Whether or not they're "restorative" might depend on definition. Do they restore lost shine? Absolutely. Do they restore health in damaged hair? No, although they might give the illusion of same.

teela1978
November 14th, 2010, 05:32 PM
My only issue with the video was when the lady piled her hair on top of her head to shampoo it. That is such a bad idea. Leads to no end of tangles!!!

MandyBeth
November 14th, 2010, 05:36 PM
If you read the notes, trims are to rid the hair of damage. Which is right. Overall, one of the better articles for mainstream. For my hair, better than half the advice here - need cones, coconut oil is evil to me.

MandyBeth
November 14th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Oh, and I demi colored my hair and that has made improvements to my hair. Henna trashes my hair. Then took an inch off to get rid of the henna fried ends - vs the 3 that I had before. Since going comm, my hair is growing .75 an inch a month.

ktani
November 14th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Oh, and I demi colored my hair and that has made improvements to my hair. Henna trashes my hair. Then took an inch off to get rid of the henna fried ends - vs the 3 that I had before. Since going comm, my hair is growing .75 an inch a month.

Great growth!

enfys
November 14th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I thought it was pretty good advice. Most of my friends would learn things from that. Our methods aren't for everyone but if everyone else followed this we'd probably have some prettier heads of hair decorating our worlds. Yes, a few would probably be frightful too ;P

For one size fits all advice this is as good as it gets I think.

Angeletti
November 14th, 2010, 07:31 PM
The advice wasn't horrible but they could have changed some small things, for instance piling all of the hair on top of the head and rubbing it all around with shampoo... not necessary! I even knew that was a no no before LHC.

FrannyG
November 14th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I actually thought that of all of the "hair tips articles" I've seen in the past few years, that one was one of the better ones, especially for non-LHCers.

I am not a person who has any problem with cones.

When my hair was severely damaged, cones were restorative as regards the appearance of my hair and its shine, and they kept the tangles out so that I didn't lose as much hair to breakage as I might have.

I am not currently using cones, but they did save me from having to have a pixie cut a couple of years ago.

Also, the article wasn't for the purpose of discussing growing one's hair longer. It seemed to be about maintaining overall health at one's chosen length. Given that, the 8-week trim advice is good.

Even now, as I'm in the process of growing, I have small trims every 3 months to keep my ends neat and blunt. I still have had a lot of growth in the past year despite my trims.

Cholera
November 14th, 2010, 08:08 PM
If some random person off the street were to ask me something about how to keep hair healthy, I would suggest this video to them (and also encourage them to clarify once a month if they were to use this method). If it was a friend, or someone I know wouldn't do well with cones, I might suggest a more LHC-like regimen. Overall, I don't think the video itself gives bad advice.