PDA

View Full Version : How do you trim hair by yourself?

Dreamkitty
November 14th, 2010, 05:46 AM
I want to trim my hair myself because I want to feel in control of how much im cutting off, last time my mum offered to trim as she was the one who pointed out that I had split ends, so she ended up chopping 2inches off, not just for trimming but because I didn't care about growing out my hair that time.

Its been about 4 months since I haven't trimmed my hair and I want to trim mm's to get rid of some of my pointy ends. How do I do it on my own, anyone tried trimming on their own?:D

pepperminttea
November 14th, 2010, 05:49 AM
I use Feye's method (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/) for a blunt cut. She also has instructions for V- and U-shaped hemlines. :)

Dreamkitty
November 14th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Thanks pepperminttea for the link:). She makes it sound very simple and clear, I like her method, I will go for a V or U cut since thats how my hair is right now.

smileycat
November 14th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Habioku has a nice video of trimming her hair using Feye's method on YouTube, too. I am still too chicken yet to try it myself since my hair seems a little to short for me to reach.

Why does everyone think a 2" cut is necessary to get rid of split ends? This is not the first time I've heard of the 2" trim. My stylist trimmed 3/4" from the bottom and even less off my layers to clean up my splits knowing full well I am growing my hair. I love her!

littlestarface
November 14th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I wish I could trim my own hair. The last time I tried my hair ended up crooked I had to have my sister cut it straight for me :o so embarressing.

Avvoltoio
November 15th, 2010, 02:09 PM
i trim for myself, cause i don't trust anybody, and i think i better can do it for myself than others :)

Here is a video what you can watch
DieSushiBitch's video inspired me mostly to start use mini trim(not more than 0.5 centimetre) in every 2-4 months
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWRJ57j1AyI

feralnature
November 15th, 2010, 02:13 PM
I just did my first self-trim using Feye's method. I cut about 2 inches off and used the method for a V-shape. I had not had a trim in 3 years. You can see the before pics in my 2010 album and my after is my siggy. It was very easy and only took minutes.

aenflex
November 15th, 2010, 02:25 PM
You guys are awesome and very brave!!! I cannot cut my own hair, it's too short. Even when it was longer though I never had the guts :)

feralnature
November 15th, 2010, 02:32 PM
You guys are awesome and very brave!!! I cannot cut my own hair, it's too short. Even when it was longer though I never had the guts :)

I was MORE afraid of someone else cutting it.

Avvoltoio
November 15th, 2010, 02:47 PM
fetalnature is right, it is not about beeing brave, it is about to trust others, it is not only about others would cut much more, i think the outcome of the trim can be much more nice at self trim.

SilvraShadows
November 15th, 2010, 03:26 PM
My method is difficult to explain, but I've never tried Feye's method. Because my hair is so thin, every botch shows up!

Oddly I like to trim when my hair is freshly unbound from my braids, which I always put in after it's washed. I begin with the sides and even those up in front. I bring the back to the front. I also bring the back out to the sides. I comb the left side over to the right and other way around. Each time I bring a section over or out or whatever, I am dusting only the strands that are longer.

Eventually it is trimmed up nicely and pretty even. When I trim wet I do things differently, but I do cut at differently angles and if I tilt my chin down when I am cutting, it will created a more U shape in the back... If I lift my chin up, then it creates a more straight across hemline.

Far from being instructions, but this gives you an idea of what I do.

Good luck if you give Feye's way a try. One thing is for sure, it is more money in your pocket, unless you have family member you trust. I self-trim because I don't trust another person to do this for me, thin hair is not easy to trim.

BrightEyes7
November 15th, 2010, 03:52 PM
I use Feyes method, I use a slight V. It's the V method and I stare straight ahead.

Like said, we're not brave. We just have trust issues. I figure if I mess it up I can be mad at myself. I don't want to let someone else mess it up. And so far I haven't messed up using this method. But I can see any shorter than BSL would be difficult to do this.

feralnature
November 15th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I just trimmed my hair for the first and only time last week or so. I cut off about 2 inches and then stopped. I could have kept cutting, kept trimming, kept trying to get it perfect and even. But I did not worry about all of that. I knew better than trying to be a perfectionist the first time I did this. I plan on one more tiny trim before the new year. I will give myself a micro-trim, just to even things up all proper and then that is it for another year. I am going for a nice V-shaped hemline and then fairytale ends. I simply want the old damage gradually cut off before i quit trimming altogether. So no obscessive-compulsive self-trimming for me. I would end up with very short hair and I would be very unhappy.

I think the key with self-trim is to know when to put down the scissors.

(Oh, and like BrightEyes, I did the V shape trim position where you stare straight ahead , as opposed to looking up or looking down).

JellyBene
November 15th, 2010, 06:40 PM
my hair is MOSTLY all one length so I just pull t all forward, (like I am going to make pigtails) and cut off a little at a time and eye it out to see if it's even. I usually wet it first.

AnnaJamila
November 15th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I recommend the U shaped one, I think it gives the best appearance of overall thickness. I just did it for the first time the night before last, it was scary but it turned out beautifully! I recommend getting someone else to trim the tip thing, though. It's really hard to pull the scrunchie straight down and close to the back, at least for me, and I used to work in a yoga studio! I just made sure to pull it down one way then repeat it going the other way, just in case I tilted it a little bit.

SilvraShadows
November 15th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I think the key with self-trim is to know when to put down the scissors.

This is so true!

Because my hair is so thin and every slip of a snip shows up, I tend to get snippy. I've maintained at 28 inches for 3 months now, so now I want length and I really don't want my hemline to be so even... but naturally uneven. I even joined the 2011 Challenge...

Robbin
November 15th, 2010, 09:19 PM
You are all very brave! I had never thought of trying this. Going to scope out the videos!!

CaityBear
November 15th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I'm not usually too worried about it since I trim so little off each time.

I also go by Feye's method. For the most part at least. lol

Macaroni
November 15th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I've devised my own simple way of trimming my waistlength hair.

Comb it straight back and secure into a ponytail at the very base of your neck.

Separate the ponytail into two sections and bring the sections over your shoulders and onto your chest.

Comb through and then hold the ends between between your forefinger and middle finger. Cut.

Repeat other side.

Voila! A straight/blunt cut to your hair.

bttrfly857
November 16th, 2010, 11:53 AM
For layers, I pull my hair forward and make a ponytail right above my forehead. Then just pull the length straight out and trim off 1/2 inch or however much from the end. You might need to trim more at first if you don't already have layers.

sapphire-o
November 20th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I've been self-trimming for two years and it's quite easy really. You need to have a good sharp pair of scissors, not necessarily expensive, but preferable new and for your hair only. For me personally the hardest part is to try to get my hair as straight as possible, for that I use both oil and water on my hair and comb through with a fine-toothed comb. The V shape is easiest to do for beginners. All you need to do is part your hair in the middle, pull them to the front, look straight forward and chop the ends. Although the other shapes aren't much harder either.

Good luck with your self-trim!

charalito
November 22nd, 2010, 12:02 PM
I've been using Feye's method too, 3 times already, maybe 5mm each time and even though my hair is thin and straight, it doesn't show any goofs.

Very very happy with this method because I can control how much I want to cut each time. And I made up a rule of only cutting on full moons, so I don't get crazy with the scissors :)

chopandchange
November 22nd, 2010, 12:19 PM
I was MORE afraid of someone else cutting it.

I agree!

It's a dilemma, just choose which you prefer:

Hairdresser = can cut nice straight line BUT will always cut far too much. Result: "the neat, straight, mega-short" cut.

Self = no training in cutting straight lines BUT will cut no more than desired. Result: the "possibly wonky, eccentric, wiggly but still long" cut.

Herein ends my analysis.

bunzfan
November 22nd, 2010, 02:49 PM
I have done the cutting method mentioned above and it looked great but, i am growing out my layers and i didn't touch mine last time its been about 6 months since they were cut and they need a trim how would i go about trimming layers ??

Forever_Sophie
November 22nd, 2010, 03:43 PM
Just my bangs; I'm afraid to tackle the length of it, getting both sides perfectly even, etc.