PDA

View Full Version : "A Long Hair Discussion..."

JulietCapulet
November 13th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I was talking with an acquaintance at my internship and she has hip length hair. I was telling her I hope my hair will be waist length by next Christmas and she was shocked that I thought I could grow it that long in one year. She said it would take more than one year and told me that there was a chance my hair wouldn't even have the capacity to grow that long.

Here is a photo. How close to waist length do you think my hair will be by next Christmas (2011) with medium rate of growth? Thanks!http://imgur.com/y9Lvv.jpg (http://imgur.com/y9Lvv.jpg)

mtstorm
November 13th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Average growth is around 1/2" per month. If you are meaning this next Christmas, as in Christmas 2010, I don't think you will be there, but if you are thinking Christmas 2011 you should have no problem getting to waist length or longer.

<3OnHerSleeve
November 13th, 2010, 11:12 PM
i think if ur a good girl, Santa will be signing your waist-length hair certificate Christmas 2011 :-)

luxepiggy
November 13th, 2010, 11:26 PM
I definitely think Christmas 2011 is reasonable (^(oo)^)

isbmlamloi
November 13th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Yeah, I think the confusion might have been with the phrase "next Christmas" - everyone here agrees with you that Christmas 2011 is a definite (where Christmas 2010 is "this Christmas"), but if she was thinking you meant "the very next Christmas" i.e. Christmas 2010, she might be shocked and disbelieving!

rhosyn_du
November 14th, 2010, 12:54 AM
It's also possible she considers "waist" to be "where the pants sit" rather than natural waist, which on a lot of women is nearly hip.

I'd say from your current length to natural waist by Christmas 2011 is a completely reasonable goal, though.

pepperminttea
November 14th, 2010, 04:31 AM
It's also possible she considers "waist" to be "where the pants sit" rather than natural waist, which on a lot of women is nearly hip.

I'd say from your current length to natural waist by Christmas 2011 is a completely reasonable goal, though.

Ditto this. I don't refer to my hair length as 'waist' outside LHC, since most people think of it as lower down than natural waist.

Fiferstone
November 14th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Hi JulietCapulet, juding from the thickness of your hemline, (i.e. lack of discernible taper) I'd say you are nowhere near terminal length for you, and that if your hair grows the average 1/2 inch/month rate, you should be at waist (narrowest part of your torso) or at natural waist by December 2011.

If your growth rate is more like mine (1/4 inch/month, I'm serious) I still think you'd make waist or natural waist. Again it's hard to tell accurately from the picture but looks to me like you've got maybe 6 inches to go to get to waist.

princessp
November 14th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Christmas 2011? I would say barring anything unforeseen--most definitely.

1nuitblanche
November 14th, 2010, 09:04 AM
You should be able to get to waist by Christmas 2011.

PhillyGirl1978@
November 14th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I was talking with an acquaintance at my internship and she has hip length hair. I was telling her I hope my hair will be waist length by next Christmas and she was shocked that I thought it would take such a short time. She told me that there was a chance my hair wouldn't even have the capacity to grow that long.

Here is a photo. How close to waist length do you think my hair will be by next Christmas with medium rate of growth? Thanks!http://imgur.com/y9Lvv.jpg (http://imgur.com/y9Lvv.jpg)

I just had to say how gorgeous your hair is...
hip length isn't hugely long...I think most of us have the capacity to grow to that length

Hiriel
November 14th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Of course we might not be the same height at all, and our hair might not grow at the same rate, but my growth is fairly average, at about half an inch per month, and it took me six months to grow from a bit past BSL to waist.
ETA: Hm, it seems my growth rate was a little bit more than half an inch per month then. But still. In a year, it's definitely doable! :)

Jenn of Pence
November 14th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Oh yeah, no problem, barring anything unforeseen. And yes, maybe there's confusion about the definition of waist; I also had a similar confusion when I joined here.
Your hair is very lovely, BTW!

Anje
November 14th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I'll bet your hair could be close to your elbows at least by Christmas 2011 if you let it grow without trimming. Depending on your growth rate, of course. It probably won't hit your pants til at least the summer after that, though.

Blandine
November 15th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Last Christmas my hair was maybe an inch or two longer than yours and it has reached "where my pants sit" this October. This includes three or four microtrims throughout that year. So I agree with the others, your goal sounds realistic. Happy growing!

feralnature
November 15th, 2010, 02:38 PM
You can have waist-length hair by Christmas 2011 if you DO NOT TRIM! Your hemline looks nice so you have no need to trim.

Avvoltoio
November 15th, 2010, 02:52 PM
you can reach that length easily, you have a good start: thick hair, healthy ends.
i would bet if you not trim, you can reach that length at the end of the summer :)

nemileo
November 15th, 2010, 02:56 PM
That is some great looking hair!! It looks very healthy and strong, so I have no doubt that you reatch waist within 2011! Maybe even further if you don`t trim. (But it doesn`t look like you need that!:))

BrightEyes7
November 15th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I think you can make it and still spare a couple of inches in micro trims throughout the next 12 months. No problem. Unless, like said before, some unforseen occurance gets in your way!

chelles2kids
November 15th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Average growth is around 1/2" per month. If you are meaning this next Christmas, as in Christmas 2010, I don't think you will be there, but if you are thinking Christmas 2011 you should have no problem getting to waist length or longer.

I agree ^^^
As mtstorm already said, most 'average' growth is around 1/2 inch per month.
Figuring on this, 12 x 1/2 inch=6 inches of growth over the course of the next year.
You could always take a tape measure and measure from where you're ends are now & then add the extra 6 inches to see about where it might hit.

Rem. though that 1/2 inch is "average" and this also doesn't include any trims you might do throughout the year but by you're picture I would say you should be right about waist by this time next year.

Beautiful hair by the way! LOVE your color!;)

Piewee
November 15th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Well I guess you got your answer, good luck growing it out to waist length or even longer by Christmas 2011. And I think any hair can grow that long, maybe it will not have the same volume, but I guess that's hard to say. Just try it and you will find out yourself.

lhangel9
November 15th, 2010, 09:26 PM
If your hair grows at the rate of 1/2 per month then you shouldn't have any problems reaching WL by 12/11. However if your hair grows faster then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't reach your goal a few months prior ;)

lhangel9
November 15th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Well I guess you got your answer, good luck growing it out to waist length or even longer by Christmas 2011. And I think any hair can grow that long, maybe it will not have the same volume, but I guess that's hard to say. Just try it and you will find out yourself.

Great advice Piewee:)

JamieLeigh
November 17th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I think you'll have no trouble getting to waist (what the heck is with the comment she made, saying you might not be able to grow that long? I see no visible natural taper in your photo, so I'm sure you can get to longer lengths...), and you should be there before Christmas 2011, in my opinion. :twocents: Your hair is lovely!!

CrisDee
November 17th, 2010, 10:51 AM
It also depends on how tall you are. That half inch average per month adds up a whole lot faster on someone 5'2" than on someone 5'9"! :)

firefly42
November 17th, 2010, 01:40 PM
if your hair grows fast enough, you might even pass waist length!