View Full Version : 10,000 mcg of Biotin a day?

marla
November 13th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I've been taking 5000 mcg of Biotin a day for a couple years and I have to say I don't notice much improvement. I spoke with a woman today who takes 10,000 mg (5000 twice a day) and has gotten results. I'm considering doing this, but it does seem a bit excessive and I'm worried about toxicity. This is especially because I have a history of breast cancer and I'm just extra cautious. But has anyone here taken such a large dose of biotin and if so, has it made a difference?

Dolly
November 13th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I have been taking 10,000 mcg per day for several months now, and it has made a big difference in my growth rate and in new re-growth. I have had no ill effects. Biotin is supposed to be water-soluble, so it doesn't build up in your body as some vitamins can.

Igor
November 13th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Biotin is actually produced as a bi-product of bacteria living in the intestines and the recommended dose is no higher than 225 mcg because “we” produce a lot of what our bodies need and there isn’t a need to take a lot extra in. In some countries they don’t even recommend taking extra biotin for that reason
Even though a vitamin is water soluble, it does not mean that it’s okay to pile a mega dose of it in your body. It will probably result in expensive urine since your body can’t absorb it
Just because it doesn’t store in your body doesn’t mean its problem free to excrete for your system
Instead of mega-dosing on a single vitamin you should take a look at your entire supplement routine and see if you are getting enough of all the vitamins and minerals that helps hair growth

squiggyflop
November 13th, 2010, 07:42 PM
oh my i can feel the pimples already.. i took a similar dose.. and i got pimples EVERYWHERE.. really painful ones.. even on my ankle.. ANKLE! heehee isnt it weird how all caps can make you read something in a screaming voice.. lol.. back to the subject.. i didnt notice anything good coming of it.. just extremely painful huge pimples that left scars all over my shoulders (im the only one who notices it though).. my skin has not been the same since..

marla
November 13th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Instead of mega-dosing on a single vitamin you should take a look at your entire supplement routine and see if you are getting enough of all the vitamins and minerals that helps hair growth

Would that it were so easy! I have had bad hair my whole life, and have examined EVERYTHING. One thing I know it's not is genetic. My sister had beautiful waist-length hair.

MandyBeth
November 13th, 2010, 08:53 PM
It's one that I take more of than you are asking about. As long as your dr gives the ok, no problems.

Tiina
November 13th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Hm... I don't mean to offend but you say you have been taking this dose for years now. Maybe the change has been so slow and gradual that you have not noticed it?

marla
November 13th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Well I doubt it has made an appreciable change. My hair is so bad that people do not hesitate to tell me that I would look really good with a short haircut. But I just keep hanging onto my locks. I haven't used a blow dryer in 5 years, haven't used cones in 5 years, use shampoo maybe once or twice a week max, do everything I can, and still el crappo hair. When they told me I might need chemotherapy I actually thought, hmm, maybe this is an opportunity for me to start over with a bald head and things will be better?

McFearless
November 13th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Thats waaaaaaaaaay too much. Im not sure the exact amount, but I don't think your body is able to absorb that much per day. You might be flushing out what could be saved for another day.

Nat242
November 13th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Would that it were so easy! I have had bad hair my whole life, and have examined EVERYTHING. One thing I know it's not is genetic. My sister had beautiful waist-length hair.

Unless your sister is your identical twin, there could still be a genetic factor. I have three sisters, we all have very different hair (colour, type, thickness, growth rate).

brelj
November 14th, 2010, 07:22 AM
I also think it's to much biotin. So why not combine biotin with MSM and silicium/silica (best is to find a product with Silicic acid, it is the chemical componant that your body will take up more easily.)

Good luck!

DaveDecker
November 14th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I take 10,000 mcg per day. In 5 mg doses ~ 12 hours apart. My objective was reduced fallout. Adding one pill daily helped. Adding the 2nd helped more. Adding a 3rd didn't. So I stabilized at 2 capsules per day.

Forever_Sophie
November 14th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Thats waaaaaaaaaay too much. Im not sure the exact amount, but I don't think your body is able to absorb that much per day. You might be flushing out what could be saved for another day.

That's what I'm thinking, IME 5000mcg was no more effective than the 2000mcg I was taking previously.

Stephichan
November 14th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I second the advice to look at what you're already taking or not taking. Extra biotin won't make up for a deficiency that exists elsewhere in your diet. When in doubt, protein and water seem to be what really helps my growth.

Also, not all hair routines work for everyone. Some people may get amazing results with no cones, but some people desperately need them. Some are okay with shampoo, others prefer conditioner-only washes. Just because you've been doing one routine for 5 years doesn't mean it's the right one. Sometimes just mixing it up can do wonders.

redneckprincess
November 14th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I take 12,000 (split up to 3x per day) for a year or so. And my hair growth has gone from less them 1.5" in 6 months to just over 4" in 6 months!!
No advirse affects, though I do get some acne...concidence??

Biotin is water soluable so you pee out what you don't use. With a larger amount like that I personally suggest splitting up the pills so you take them at different times through out the day.

Dolly
November 14th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Yes, I take mine in two doses per day as well.

But I didn't just start out at 10,000 right off the bat, either. I started out gradually with a dose of 2500 mcgs, and saw no change over several months.....I stepped it up in increments, until I saw the results I was looking for. I take other daily supplements as well, and eat a healthy balanced diet, but none of them affected my hair growth or my shed rate as this has.

shakethatbelly
November 17th, 2010, 03:41 PM
i used to tak big doses but it broke out my previously clear skin which really peeved me quite a bit so I stopped taking it for a long time
im starting up again at 5,000 mcg a day
i heard that taking vitamin b with it helps deter the acne... has anyone proved this yet?

bahoban
November 5th, 2015, 09:44 PM
i used to tak big doses but it broke out my previously clear skin which really peeved me quite a bit so I stopped taking it for a long time
im starting up again at 5,000 mcg a day
i heard that taking vitamin b with it helps deter the acne... has anyone proved this yet?
yeah is prone to acne... read the whole article.. this is everything about biotin info:

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins/biotin

marla
November 6th, 2015, 06:45 AM
Well it's been five years since I first made this post, and I'm happy to report my hair looks much better. I think my problem had been protein deficiency, as I'm a vegetarian. I started taking protein supplements. I actually get complements on my hair now!

Now the problem is eyebrows. Five years ago I had great eyebrows but they have really thinned out, possibly due to surgically-induced menopause and/or aging. Any tips for thickening those up?

parkmikii
November 6th, 2015, 06:59 AM
Well it's been five years since I first made this post, and I'm happy to report my hair looks much better. I think my problem had been protein deficiency, as I'm a vegetarian. I started taking protein supplements. I actually get complements on my hair now!

Now the problem is eyebrows. Five years ago I had great eyebrows but they have really thinned out, possibly due to surgically-induced menopause and/or aging. Any tips for thickening those up?

You could try putting castor oil on them. Many people reported thickening if they applied castor oil daily on them.
I used it on my eyelashes and they seem to be thicker and stronger :)

marla
November 6th, 2015, 07:23 AM
You could try putting castor oil on them. Many people reported thickening if they applied castor oil daily on them.

I will try that, thanks!

marla
November 6th, 2015, 07:24 AM

I will try that, thanks!

Suzysu
November 7th, 2015, 02:08 AM

If your eyebrows are thinning on the outer edges you might want to check with your doctor that you don't have thyroid issues.

marla
November 7th, 2015, 06:28 AM
If your eyebrows are thinning on the outer edges you might want to check with your doctor that you don't have thyroid issues.

Been on thyroid meds for 30 years and all that is in check, thanks.

It's just the overall thinning that comes with age, I'm afraid.

lapushka
November 7th, 2015, 08:36 AM
Been on thyroid meds for 30 years and all that is in check, thanks.

It's just the overall thinning that comes with age, I'm afraid.

I think that's just very individual. My mom is going to be 70 next month and has the thickest brows *ever*!

renia22
November 7th, 2015, 08:42 AM
Glad to hear your hair is better since changing your diet, Marla. Pure aloe vera can help with thinning eye brows as well.

kganihanova
November 7th, 2015, 09:45 AM
If you're gonna do this, you'd best drink lots of water

curlylocks85
November 11th, 2015, 11:05 AM
I take that much and I have not experienced any toxicity problems. I was skeptical at first about taking this high dose, but I decided to give it a try and make a decision based on experience and I like the results. My hair, skin, and nails have all benefited from this dose. Mine also contains keratin which is also helpful for my hair's health.