PDA

View Full Version : Do oils give you a headache?

Dreamkitty
November 13th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Im using Dabur Amla Gold and sometimes I get a bit of a headache and my scalp feelings cold. The smell is nice but so strong that when Im applying it to my hair, it feels like I could actually taste it in my mouth, or maybe inhaled some.:confused: But with pure coconut oil this doesn't happen at all. How can I stop the smell from being too strong?

little_cherry
November 13th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Perhaps you're alergic to the perfume they put in it?

Dabur AMLA Hair Oil Ingredients:
Vegetable oil
Mineral oil
Extract of Indian Gooseberry
Perfume
TBHQ (Antioxidant)

pepperminttea
November 13th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Ditto what little_cherry said, and it might also be a trigger for you; strong smells can start off migraines.

Dreamkitty
November 13th, 2010, 12:27 PM
pepperminttea & little_cherry, that worries me, I don't want to have a migraine. My mums cousin died of migraines.

The smell is too strong for me, but I bought it and it was more expensive then coconut oil so it makes me want to keep using it. Maybe if I use a very tiny amount or mix it in with other oils, it could help get rid of the smell.

Thanks for the advice.

starlights
November 13th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Dabur has a variety of ingrediants in it. Like the others said it could be the smell going up your nose and giving you a headache.
You could try using small amount or switch brands :)

spidermom
November 13th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I wouldn't use something that gave me a headache.

MoonlightShadow
November 13th, 2010, 06:07 PM
oils that kinda smell like peppermint kinda give me a headache and make my head cold..sometimes i feel it in my nose?? (if that makes sense :/)

spidermom
November 13th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Mineral oil is very cheap; I wonder why the product cost more than coconut oil. That doesn't seem right.

little_cherry
November 13th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I wouldn't use something that gave me a headache.Likewise...

Spring
November 13th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I bought some amla or some kind of oil from an Indian store, and the perfume was so strong (it didn't smell like peppermint, but the perfume was annoying). I ended up throwing it away.

McFearless
November 14th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Mustard oil gives me a headache. Monistat is a killer, worst headaches.

pixistixx
November 14th, 2010, 04:53 PM
TBHQ is more of a preservative.. it is a kind of shady one too, linked to stomach tumors when ingested, no 100% proof though. It is used to preserve fats in foods, and used in varnishes and explosives! This may be what is giving you a headache, vs the fragrance. Preservatives in general are notorious migraine triggers.

ravenreed
November 14th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I am super sensitive to a lot of scents and often have to throw away or give away otherwise good products based on smell alone. I would be very careful about using the oil because repeated exposures can increase sensitivity.