PDA

View Full Version : Scalp Disasters?

HannahDelicious
November 13th, 2010, 10:41 AM
So, I have actually had a scalp disaster recently. It started this summer and fully broke out during the first part of this semester. To make the description as short as possible (as to not gross anyone out): I had creepy scales on my head that would pull tiny tufts of hair out. The problem is actually gone now, I visited two doctors, and the second one gave me a shampoo that worked immediately (but I still use it once a week for now).

My Mom actually had this same problem about two years ago, but it went away on its own. Well apparently it has returned, so I suggested she go to the doctor and request the same thing. I guess the problem is that I am very freaked out. It was extremely frustrating to loose tufts of my hair when it was finally approaching waist length. Now I am scared that the treatment was not enough and that it may come back.

Anyway, that's how I found this place (a lot of searching on the internet). Has anyone else had similar problems? How can I stop freaking out about this? I know that growing my hair is not the most important thing ever, but I cannot help imagining my hair reaching tailbone length and then suddenly IT returns-AHHHHHH!
Okay, I just need some help calming down.:(

tigr
November 13th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Did the doctor give you a name for it? Once you have that, you can do more specific searches. Call his office and ask them to tell you what it was, and have them spell it for you.

Whatever it was, it sounds awful. I'm glad that shampoo took care of it.

ktani
November 13th, 2010, 10:55 AM
So, I have actually had a scalp disaster recently. It started this summer and fully broke out during the first part of this semester. To make the description as short as possible (as to not gross anyone out): I had creepy scales on my head that would pull tiny tufts of hair out. The problem is actually gone now, I visited two doctors, and the second one gave me a shampoo that worked immediately (but I still use it once a week for now).

My Mom actually had this same problem about two years ago, but it went away on its own. Well apparently it has returned, so I suggested she go to the doctor and request the same thing. I guess the problem is that I am very freaked out. It was extremely frustrating to loose tufts of my hair when it was finally approaching waist length. Now I am scared that the treatment was not enough and that it may come back.

Anyway, that's how I found this place (a lot of searching on the internet). Has anyone else had similar problems? How can I stop freaking out about this? I know that growing my hair is not the most important thing ever, but I cannot help imagining my hair reaching tailbone length and then suddenly IT returns-AHHHHHH!
Okay, I just need some help calming down.:(

You are very fortunate and you did the right thing. You immediately sought medical help and the treatment has worked. Even if it does return, you now know what to do.

Did the doctor give you the cause and tell you how to prevent a return of the condition?

I would not worry about what is not happening. You are recovering and you are fine. It may help others to know more about the condition if it is preventable and the name of the shampoo that has worked so well for you.

In the meantime, be proud of yourself for good judgment in a crisis and that your doctor successfully helped you through it.

HannahDelicious
November 13th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Well, I actually do not know the actual cause. I was a little too freaked out to do something smart like asking the doctor. If this comes back, I will definitely ask the doctor. (Or maybe I will ask my mom to do that because she also needs the same shampoo.)

But you guys are right about knowing what to do about it. I used a shampoo with a 2% concentration of ketoconazole, and it worked so fast it was scary. I feel better knowing at least that much.:)

ktani
November 13th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Well, I actually do not know the actual cause. I was a little too freaked out to do something smart like asking the doctor. If this comes back, I will definitely ask the doctor. (Or maybe I will ask my mom to do that because she also needs the same shampoo.)

But you guys are right about knowing what to do about it. I used a shampoo with a 2% concentration of ketoconazole, and it worked so fast it was scary. I feel better knowing at least that much.:)

Since you have been so worried about this, I think that you should ask your doctor for the details yourself. Your conditiion may or may not be exactly the same as your mom's. Getting the right information can empower you and quell your fears. It is the only way to really know what you have been dealing with.

You can if you like after that, research the condition more, or better yet, have your doctor supply you with, or direct you to research on the subject. It beats being stressed and wondering about something you do not know anything about now. Open a dialogue with your doctor. You have a right to do so.

And a belated Welcome to LHC!

HannahDelicious
November 13th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Since you have been so worried about this, I think that you should ask your doctor for the details yourself. Your conditiion may or may not be exactly the same as your mom's. Getting the right information can empower you and quell your fears. It is the only way to really know what you have been dealing with.

You can if you like after that, research the condition more, or better yet, have your doctor supply you with, or direct you to research on the subject. It beats being stressed and wondering about something you do not know anything about now. Open a dialogue with your doctor. You have a right to do so.

And a belated Welcome to LHC!

Thank you:)

You are quite right. It has been about a month since I saw the doctor, but I can still ask about it if I want to. I will try to contact her, and get this cleared up.

ktani
November 13th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Thank you:)

You are quite right. It has been about a month since I saw the doctor, but I can still ask about it if I want to. I will try to contact her, and get this cleared up.

Good luck! It sounds as if you have a really good doctor. There should be no time limit to your inquiries either. You have a right to access your medical records.