PDA

View Full Version : sockbun curls!

luxepiggy
November 13th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Does anyone else use a sockbun to curl their hair? I've tried lots of other heatless curling methods, but the sockbun is definitely my new favorite. I love the size and shape of the curls I get from a sockbun - big, loose but perfectly formed round spirals (^(oo)^)

What works best for me is putting a little oil, along with Fekkai's COIFF Ironless Straightening Balm (this is SO counterintuitive, but it really helps my hair to hold the curl!) on the length of my slightly damp hair before rolling it in a sockbun. If I do this in the evening and sleep with the sockbun in, then carefully unroll the sockbun in the morning, I get curly piggy! :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6020&pictureid=86932

Theobroma
November 13th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Wow, those are fantastic curls! I really must have another try at doing a decent-looking sock bun if this is the kind of payoff one can expect!

Eire
November 13th, 2010, 09:42 AM
It doesn't work for me at all. My hair turns into a mass of poofs and kinks. It's strange because usually my hair holds a curl really well. I've had the best luck with wet setting or simply using braid waves.

Mariah!!
November 13th, 2010, 10:00 AM
WOW! I have tried this and it makes Lovely curls, but it wont stay. I need to try using the same stuff as you and see how it works. Love your hair!

TrudieCat
November 13th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Wow, that looks so beautiful!! I haven't been able to this myself yet, but maybe someday. :)

TinaDenali
November 13th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Wow, that looks really great! It looks like you spent a lot of time doing that. I bet people would be floored if you told them you rolled your hair in a *sock* to achieve the look. :D

Gumball
November 13th, 2010, 10:48 AM
That routine really curls up nicely! Alas, I don't need a sock bun to get curly. It's the byproduct of waking up for me. :p Your hair looks fabulous! :D

luxepiggy
November 13th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Wow, those are fantastic curls! I really must have another try at doing a decent-looking sock bun if this is the kind of payoff one can expect!

Wow, that looks so beautiful!! I haven't been able to this myself yet, but maybe someday. :)

That routine really curls up nicely! Alas, I don't need a sock bun to get curly. It's the byproduct of waking up for me. :p Your hair looks fabulous! :D

Thanks everyone! You're too kind http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/piggies/3heo131.gif

Wow, that looks really great! It looks like you spent a lot of time doing that. I bet people would be floored if you told them you rolled your hair in a *sock* to achieve the look. :D

Thinking about this made me giggle (^(oo)^)

It doesn't work for me at all. My hair turns into a mass of poofs and kinks. It's strange because usually my hair holds a curl really well. I've had the best luck with wet setting or simply using braid waves.

That's so unusual - my hair usually won't hold a curl at all! This is about the only thing that does it . . . :confused:

WOW! I have tried this and it makes Lovely curls, but it wont stay. I need to try using the same stuff as you and see how it works. Love your hair!

My hair usually doesn't stay curled even with tons of hairspray and a curling iron - somehow this works for me though - I definitely encourage you to give it another go! (^(oo)^)v

UltraBella
November 13th, 2010, 12:41 PM
This actually takes all the wave out of my hair. When I remove my sock bun my hair is almost straight :(

bluesnowflake
November 13th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Those are beautiful! I've tried sockbunning, but my ends don't want to wrap and when they do and I try to roll it further up my hair, it poufs and won't roll smoothly up my hair. I've tried it dry and wet. My technique is to pull the doughnut to the very ends, spread them out over the doughnut, and then try to roll upwards- am I doing something wrong?

BrightEyes7
November 13th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I have yet to master a non- lopsided sock bun yet, my best attempt is in my album. But I too, like UltraBella get a straighter look after sock buns... Maybe I should use a smaller sock! :shrug:

shockinglength
November 13th, 2010, 04:55 PM
It works for me!!!

linda g
November 13th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Nice results! I *still* can't get the sock bun technique...

tinygirl
November 13th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Those curls look lovely - I'll have to give the sock bun a go!
I get lovely waves when I just put slightly damp hair in two buns until they dry.

lpsqt60
November 13th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Your curls look so pretty!

luxepiggy
November 13th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Those are beautiful! I've tried sockbunning, but my ends don't want to wrap and when they do and I try to roll it further up my hair, it poufs and won't roll smoothly up my hair. I've tried it dry and wet. My technique is to pull the doughnut to the very ends, spread them out over the doughnut, and then try to roll upwards- am I doing something wrong?

Fear not! For the little piggy has a few little tricks to impart (^(oo)^)v

First, if you have problems with the ends popping out, there's an easy way to fix this! But, you have to make your own "donut" - I used the sleeves cut off of an old sweater, but a sock will work fine too. The sock must have an elasticized flat cuff/band at the top, like the purple band on this pair:
http://www.ae.com/web/browse/product.jsp?catId=cat1490004&productId=0425_5205&cid=AEO_CSE_K2776&mr:referralID=8481674d-e100-11df-ad8e-001b2166c62d

When you roll up the sock, start rolling from the toe, so that the elasticized band is on the outside of the finished "donut" - my sweater had similar cuffs:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/sockbundonut.jpg

When you put the donut on your ponytail, make sure the open end of the cuff faces towards your head. Pull it down towards the end of the tail. (Here's where the elasticized band comes in!) Take the ends of the tail, pull them up around the outside of the donut, and tuck them under the elastic cuff, so your ends are inside the outermost layer of the donut. I have messed about tremendously with the levels in this image so it's really obvious where my hair ends and the donut begins. See how the hair goes underneath the band? That's why you must use a sock with that extra cuff at the top, because it will hold the hair inside better.
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/sockbunstart.jpg

Once you've got the ends securely tucked under the elastic cuff, you'll be able to roll up the sock without your ends popping out!

The key to making it tight (which helps cut down on frizz and gives the pretty rounded curl shape) is you have to turn the actual sock, not just the hair around it. When you roll:
Insert your index & middle fingers into the center of the "donut" from the bottom, with your thumbs on the outside.
Pinch down with your fingers and make sure you've got a firm grip on the sock itself.
Then invert the sock. Make sure you feel the sock actually flipping over. If you do it properly, your thumbs should wind up in the middle of donut, and your index & middle fingers on the outside.
Let go and repeat until you reach the base of your ponytail

This actually takes all the wave out of my hair. When I remove my sock bun my hair is almost straight :(

I have yet to master a non- lopsided sock bun yet, my best attempt is in my album. But I too, like UltraBella get a straighter look after sock buns... Maybe I should use a smaller sock! :shrug:

How tightly do you ladies roll your sock buns? Perhaps it's because I roll mine quite tightly that I get curls? You can see in this photo how small my bun is at the end - that's all of my hair, which was tailbone length at the time, and I had actually fluffed it up a bit.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6020&pictureid=83841

bluesnowflake
November 13th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Fear not! For the little piggy has a few little tricks to impart (^(oo)^)v

First, if you have problems with the ends popping out, there's an easy way to fix this! But, you have to make your own "donut" - I used the sleeves cut off of an old sweater, but a sock will work fine too. The sock must have an elasticized flat cuff/band at the top, like the purple band on this pair:
http://www.ae.com/web/browse/product.jsp?catId=cat1490004&productId=0425_5205&cid=AEO_CSE_K2776&mr:referralID=8481674d-e100-11df-ad8e-001b2166c62d

When you roll up the sock, start rolling from the toe, so that the elasticized band is on the outside of the finished "donut" - my sweater had similar cuffs:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/sockbundonut.jpg

When you put the donut on your ponytail, make sure the open end of the cuff faces towards your head. Pull it down towards the end of the tail. (Here's where the elasticized band comes in!) Take the ends of the tail, pull them up around the outside of the donut, and tuck them under the elastic cuff, so your ends are inside the outermost layer of the donut. I have messed about tremendously with the levels in this image so it's really obvious where my hair ends and the donut begins. See how the hair goes underneath the band? That's why you must use a sock with that extra cuff at the top, because it will hold the hair inside better.
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/sockbunstart.jpg

Once you've got the ends securely tucked under the elastic cuff, you'll be able to roll up the sock without your ends popping out!

The key to making it tight (which helps cut down on frizz and gives the pretty rounded curl shape) is you have to turn the actual sock, not just the hair around it. When you roll:
Insert your index & middle fingers into the center of the "donut" from the bottom, with your thumbs on the outside.
Pinch down with your fingers and make sure you've got a firm grip on the sock itself.
Then invert the sock. Make sure you feel the sock actually flipping over. If you do it properly, your thumbs should wind up in the middle of donut, and your index & middle fingers on the outside.
Let go and repeat until you reach the base of your ponytail

Thanks!! :) I can now do a sock bun- we'll see how the curls come out in the morning.

Leabhar
November 13th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Oooh, lovely curls! I can't get my hair to curl very well either and I'll give the sockbun a go with mousse and see if it will give me curls (it just gave me a huge bun before, lol). I'll have to try the end-tucking and rolling-the-bun trick, too. Thanks!

UltraBella
November 13th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I think my issue is the thickness of my hair. Even using a small sock and rolling tightly, my bun is enormous and looks like it's eating my head. I think the thickness makes getting good curls from it impossible for me.

luxepiggy
November 13th, 2010, 11:25 PM
I think my issue is the thickness of my hair. Even using a small sock and rolling tightly, my bun is enormous and looks like it's eating my head. I think the thickness makes getting good curls from it impossible for me.

Ah!! I think you're onto something - thickness (and my lack thereof) could in fact be the key!

UltraBella
November 13th, 2010, 11:53 PM
I just remembered I have a picture of a sock bun in my album so I went and looked at it. I remember rolling it as tightly as I could and the darn thing is still wider than my actual head !

Leabhar
November 15th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Mine was huge, too. I think splitting the hair into 2-3 sections might help. I hope! LOL