PDA

View Full Version : Chopped my hair.. sort of. And can I fix this?

angelfell
November 13th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Just caught the typo in the title. Yeesh. I seriously just woke up.. so yeah, apologies!

Hey guys :) I know I sort of disappeared but my job has been sort of tying me up. But I'm here, and I'm still growing my hair. I have made some recent changes that I'd like to discuss and have an important question :p.

First of all, about two or so weeks ago I chopped my hair.. or some of it, anyways :p. I can only imagine what you're thinking hehe. I am very happy with my result. I went to a stylist and got some short layers. The longest is probably around my jaw line. But, I also got to keep my length! The rest of my hair is the same length it was before, minus the trim I got. So where does this leave me? Half my hair is now perm-free, and if I apply root-booster and put my layers in a ponytail on top of my head until it dries, I get a nice, voluminous look without heat. My hair no longer looks so.. well, thin XD. So I'm very happy about that.

Then, I decided I wanted another change. So, last night, I went and got partial highlights. I asked for caramel but.. obviously, my idea of caramel is a bit different than the stylist's. I suppose she used peroxide, because she certainly didn't use bleach, until one little part of my hair refused to turn blonde, so she used bleach for maybe literally two minutes. Then, she used a toner. And some $10 'hair gloss' to help fight the damage.. yeah, sure. I suppose they are caramel, but to me, I say 'orange'. Blah. I want them lightened. Not to platinum or anything, but a nice golden blonde, not.. brassy, orange-y blonde. Can I achieve this with honey lightening, do you think? Or would it be easier to go to a salon for this? Can they even fix it? I'd imagine they'd have to lighten all my hair a little bit.. which I wouldn't complain about. The highlights are only half my head.. I strategically had them stop where my long, still-perm-damaged hair began.. so it's like the top half of my hair is highlighted, and the bottom half not.

I'll see if I can take a quick pic with my webcam.

EDIT: Here we go. Do pardon the bead head, I just woke up. You can sort of see the layers too. My hair looks short from that angle XD but the rest of my hair is still.. about 22 inches :D.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/xwolfxboundx/101113-111759.jpg

Night_Kitten
November 14th, 2010, 05:32 AM
It looks very nice to me, I like the color of your highlights :)
You could try lightening with honey first (it's not damaging as far as I know, and you can use it only on the highlights or on all of your hair depending on what you choose to lighten), and if the result is not what you want/like then go to the salon and see what they can offer...

Coan-Teen
November 14th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Honey lightening does help to remove brassy tones on natural blonde hair, so I imagine it could do the same on high lights. Bear in mind you may have to try several treatments to see the kind of results you want, though. Honey lightening can be a slow process, but being so slow definitely helps keep the hair healthier.

As a side tip in the future when asking your stylist for high lights ask to see a color chart so you can literally point to the color you want. It helps eliminate confusion. To me what you have is a caramel color. Hehe.

Otherwise I think the cut looks nice. I can see the difference between the healthy hair in the layers and the permed hair in the back.

UltraBella
November 14th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I see caramel highlights too, lol. That is why a color chart really is helpful, it shows the stylist what your definition of the color you are asking for is.
I like them, I think the color is pretty and I think you should give it a bit of time and see if they grow on you before you do anything.

GlennaGirl
November 14th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Oh WOW but is that color ever to die for. Very very pretty. As for the light layering, GORGEOUS. I have very very light layering in my hair right now just to give it "bounce" but not look like actual choppy layers or to lose thickness at the ends (since I don't really have that to begin with!). I find it the PERFECT compromise as I have all my style options and I can either play this up or just "ignore" it by smoothing the layers into a ponytail or bun or what-have-you. Have fun with this -- it's a really great style to have.

KittyLost
November 14th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I like the colour of your highlights :) they don't look orange to me!

And you should give the honey lightening a shot, it causes no harm. If you do go back to the salon however maybe your treatment will be discounted? If you explained that it wasn't the colour you had in mind.

I went to the hairdressers a long time ago to get my hair dyed what I would call golden brown, in my mind it was a warm brown colour that looked like it had blonde highlights. The hairdresser showed me her colour samples and in her samples a golden brown was more a blonde colour than anything I imagined. So Iagree with UltraBella about the colour wheels, you should take in a picture of the colour you want to see what they can do if you decide to do that :)