PDA

View Full Version : Reducing post-wash flyaway/frizz

nytquill
November 13th, 2010, 07:44 AM
I'm sure this has been asked a lot on here, and I apologize in advance for being repetitive! But what if anything have you found reduces that frizzy, flyaway look right after washing?

I think I am finally getting into a cone/sulfate free routine that leaves my hair looking just as pretty as it did with cones. (Too much cleansing dries out my scalp, so I avoid sulfates which means I have to avoid cones also or else I would be clarifying too often for my scalp).

Namely, coconut oil shampoo (thank you hair care of the stars thread!), condition the ends, acidic (lemon) rinse to top it all off. I do take warm showers but I turn it down to tepid or cool for the last few minutes. I also avoid the blowdryer (sometimes I have no choice if I have somewhere I have to go right after) and while I still do the towel turban I've gotten in the habit now of taking it off once I'm dressed (5-10 minutes) rather than leaving it on forever.

The day after a wash I am absolutely thrilled with how my hair looks and feels! But on the day of, once it's dry, it looks pretty much its worst. All the baby hairs poof out and makes my hair look very rough and dried out even though it's not. I have stick straight 1a hair so it's not a curly hair thing.

My theories are it has to do with having fine hair, it has to do with being in the steamy bathroom for so long (humidity), the drying effect of even gentle cleansing. CO does make this happen a little bit less but I find it leaves my hair overall duller and not as nice as the oil shampoo does.

Now I know that "I just washed my hair and I can't do a thing with it" is just a fact of life, my hair will ALWAYS look better the day after compared to the day of. But I'm just wondering what other tips and tricks I'm missing to get my hair looking as good as possible immediately after a wash?

Honestwitness
November 13th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I have fine hair also, but it's 2A. I have the same disappointing results with CO. The only thing that works for me after SC is mousse or gel with cones.

Madora
November 13th, 2010, 08:00 AM
I can relate about the frizzies after washing.

While I haven't done this myself, perhaps you might consider using just a touch of some kind of oil for your hair to tame the frizzies.

The articles section contains Heidi's pointers for oiling and elsewhere in one of the forums there are reviews for various oils.

Good luck!

emmabovary
November 13th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I find a final ACV rinse makes my hair a lot less frizzy! Good luck :)