PDA

View Full Version : dramatic hair changes in teenage years?

JellyBene
November 12th, 2010, 11:50 PM
So when I was younger I always had 1A hair that was baby fine and thin as paper. Then when i turned 13 I gor crazy thick decently curly hair... not even like puberty frizzy wave, I mean curls. Now I am 17 and within the last six months my hair went back to a 1A (stayed thick :)) Don't get me wrong, I am so happy to have my straight hair back, but I just thought that was wierds because it was COMPLETELY different hair types. Has anyone else experienced it??

Coan-Teen
November 14th, 2010, 07:21 AM
I haven't had it happen to me but I know some friends who have. It's not surprising, really. All those hormones during puberty can have lots of crazy effects on your body, including your hair. Now that you're older your hormones are leveling out, but don't be surprised if the same kind of thing happens should ever get pregnant. ^_^

curlymarcia
November 15th, 2010, 09:01 AM
When I was a child my hair was wavy (2a) but at the puberty my hair change to curly spirals (3c), and it is still curly.

spidermom
November 15th, 2010, 09:05 AM
It takes length for some waves to show up. Maybe your hair is a tad too short for your waves to form now.

Also, different climates do different things to hair. Have you moved? In this climate, I have wavy/curly hair, but on vacation in Italy my hair was quite straight.

And hormones, already mentioned.

It looks like you color your hair now and not then; that can cause some changes, too.

Siava
November 15th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I was towhead with straight hair as a tot. It darkened to a deeper blonde when I hit puberty and became wavy, then turned brown and curly in my 20's. It's still brown and curly.

PineappleJello
November 15th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I believe henna can also straighten your hair.

pixistixx
November 15th, 2010, 09:29 AM
my brother's hair went from being light brown, to very very black when he turned 13!

masa_inn
November 15th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I went from pin-straight to the curls when I was 13. Seemed like it happened in one day :)

IMO, any hormonal change (puberty, being sexually active vs not :), pregnancy etc) can change one's hair.

ScarlettAdelle
November 15th, 2010, 10:12 PM
My hair went from Shirley Temple curls when I was about 7 to super tight frizzmonster curls when I was going through my teen years (also known as "The Age of Heatstyling Damage") and now it's mellowing out again (I'm 21) and seems to be going to bigger curls. If it continues on this trend I'm going to be super stoked. I love big curls.

lilalong
November 16th, 2010, 02:36 AM
My hair also changed it's structure (and color) when I went through puberty.

Ntaark
November 16th, 2010, 10:10 AM
My hair was 1a/1b until i was nine and changed to 2b, about 3 years before puberty. It didn't change much during my teenage year, well, except for me dying it random colors.

JellyBene
June 15th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Glad to know it is not just me! thanks everyone :)

HappyMuser
June 15th, 2011, 01:57 PM
My hair used to be 1b, but when I was 14 it suddenly changed to 2b/2c :) It was weird that it happened so fast, but I must say I'm happier with the hair I have now than the hair I had before!

gthlvrmx
June 15th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Had dark blonde hair when i was born, then it turned dark brown and pin straight, and in 3rd grade puberty began and it went curly! I still have those natural light hairs in here too, you can see them sometimes in my braids

dmarie63
June 15th, 2011, 09:54 PM
My hair was 1a for the longest time! In fact, we couldn't even get it to hold a curl from curling irons or curlers, no matter how hard we tried!

But around the same time that I got my period for the first time, my hair chemistry changed. It turned curly and frizzy (maybe like 2c?). Now, around that time I also got highlights in my hair for the first time. The hair dye did seem to make my hair even more wavy, but even now after I've stopped dying my hair, it is still clearly more wavy now than it was pre-puberty and pre-dye.

So this just goes to show that a few different things can change the overall status of your hair.

Ermine
June 15th, 2011, 10:15 PM
It happened to me though it wasn't nearly as drastic. I used to have 1b light blonde hair when I was a kid. Then puberty came and I got dark blonde 1c hair, which I still have.

allnight avenue
June 16th, 2011, 01:38 AM
Yep, went from pin-straight to the 2a I still have today. It happened in 6th grade....I remember having my school picture taken and suddenly realizing my hair looked like a different person's.....

Signe
June 16th, 2011, 03:16 AM
Yep, went from pin-straight to the 2a I still have today. It happened in 6th grade....I remember having my school picture taken and suddenly realizing my hair looked like a different person's.....

This happened to me, as well, in 7th grade. I went from 1a/1b platinum blonde to a dark blonde 2a very quickly.

Also, when I was born, I came out with a full head of curly black hair, which fell out and grew back pin-straight and white.

BlazingHeart
June 19th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I had stick-straight hair until I was about 12, when it suddenly developed body waves. It also went from being sandy blonde to a very reddish chestnut, almost auburn.

When I was 19, my thyroid started slowing down (hypothyroidism) and my hair got darker.

Then a few months before I turned 24 I developed a chronic illness, and my hair went from slow waves (maybe 3-4 distinct waves on waist-length hair) to much tighter waves (2a hair). I also settled into a less red chestnut color. It's been that way for almost 4 years now.

Like people said, any hormone change, changes your hair.

Jcv-Shelley
June 19th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Nothing drastic just a slight change from pin straight to some curves at my ends.

luthein
June 19th, 2011, 12:21 PM
My hair went from very light blonde 1a/F/i to honey blonde 2b/M/ii. I was very depressed about the change, and flat-ironed my hair every day to get sleek hair with great drape.

Mairéad
June 19th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I must be the odd one out because I feel like my hair has been exactly the same. The only change I've noticed is it has become a little more strawberry/sandy red then coppery over the years. But, it's always been pretty straight.

KittyLost
June 21st, 2011, 03:00 AM
My hair was straight as a child with a slight wave on the ends sometimes, when I hit my teenage years I developed wurls and curls and wavies that are all random.

newbeginning
June 21st, 2011, 06:36 AM
I don't know if it happened during puberty but my hair got darker as I got older.

littlenvy
June 21st, 2011, 06:47 AM
All the males on my dad's side of the family are born with very fine blonde hair. When they turn 13 it changes from fine to medium and becomes dark brown. :p
Hormons are great.

Oksana
June 21st, 2011, 07:38 AM
I have recently seen a picture of my cousin that is very similar to what you're explaining. Up to the age of 12 he had straight blonde hair, now aged 14 and it is medium brown with corkscrew curls!

alyanna
June 21st, 2011, 07:43 AM
IMO, any hormonal change (puberty, being sexually active vs not :), pregnancy etc) can change one's hair.

Agree with this.

And it's not something they tell you about either. I also find all these factors affect the skin a lot as well.

lapushka
June 21st, 2011, 10:09 AM
I had very light blond, F hair, which started to gradually darken to a darker, ash, blonde. Then when I was about 14 it turned into a thick frizzball. Yay. :o ;)

oktobergoud
June 21st, 2011, 10:28 AM
My brother has the exact same thing as you! Since he hit puberty, he got tons of curls (his hair was straight before that), now he's getting older (20), he's hair is getting less curly again!

luxepiggy
June 23rd, 2011, 01:13 AM
My hair texture changed a lot, from wiry/coarse to medium. It also went from 1b to a true 1a.

Chetanlaiho
June 23rd, 2011, 04:22 AM
My haircolour just changed pretty fast (from light blonde to brown-ish). Structure wise I think it's always been the same actually ^^

Nymph
June 23rd, 2011, 04:27 AM
I need to retype it to be sure but my hair didn't change much during puberty. It's only now when everything hormonal has settled down that I think I went from stick straight to something vaguely curly. It also got lighter, it used to be a deep brown that lightened up really blondish in summer, and now it's some sort of dishwasher blonde.

Hailes
June 23rd, 2011, 04:43 AM
As a child I had Straight hair all my pics I have straight hair with a fringe. When I was about 15-16 I noticed waves in my hair now my hair is just naturally curly/wavy and this is how it goes when I leave it to air dry! But I love my hair I am glad it has got the curls, I am now 23. The colour and thickness have never changed just the curls it grows in now. But part of me thinks the fact when I was younger I used to "scrunch" my hair to get it curly has just kinda made it continue to grow like this lol