PDA

View Full Version : Chromium makes my hair fall out!!! eek!

ratgirldjh
November 12th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I have diabetes and have been controlling it with diet and exercise and herbal supplements. Recently I decided to add chromium to my supplements because I eat pretty much no grains and it is supposed to (maybe) lower blood sugar.

The first time I tried it (Nature's Way Blood Sugar) I also had just started a low carb diet and my blood sugar was great but I noticed a LOT of hair loss. I thought it must be due to my recent diet change and kept using it for a couple of weeks.

Luckily the bottles only last 2 weeks!!! I ran out and didn't get more and didn't notice a change in my blood sugar and forgot about my hair falling (i guess it stopped LOL).

So a few days ago I remembered this supplement and bought some more. After only the first day of taking it my hair started falling a LOT again! I mean every time I would touch my hair some would come out and my bf even commented that there was hair on the floors and everywhere!!!

This time I realized that it had to be the supplement because my hair had not been falling and somehow I remembered that it was falling when I used the supplement before but never put two and two together.

So I googled chromium and hair loss and a lot of women have this problem! Some kept using it for a while because they didn't realize what was causing their hair loss and lost so much hair their hair is very thin now.

The good thing is most people said that after about 3 days of stopping the supplement that the hair fall stops. I stopped 2 days ago (I only took it 2 days this time) and today the hair fall seems a little less.

just wanted to post this in case some of you are taking chromium and also having hair fall and so it might help someone.

djh

eta: the amount of chromium polynicotinate in the formula is 300 mcg taken 2x a day which equals 600 mcg

morecowbell
November 14th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Hey thanks for this! I have hypoglycemia and have been taking Chromium off and on for a month or so... I thought my recent massive shed was due to several majorly stressful situations happening at once, but the chromium could be playing a role in that...
Thanks again ratgirl :)

soopahgrover
November 14th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I have a girlfriend who takes chromium because it's supposed to curb appetite, or help with weight loss in some way, but she told me it's been known to make women sterile too, so it's not for women who want to have les bebes. I'm a bit concerned that it's in multi-vitamins. I usually look for a multi-vitamin with less than 100% of your daily recommended intake. I question that we should have any intake of it, recommended for everyone. :/

pepperminttea
November 14th, 2010, 11:38 AM
That is really worrying - thanks for posting. I've been meaning to start on a vitamin or two lately (I've been told I need to get more iron, so I figured I might as well get a few other useful things too) - I'll definitely look for one without chromium in now!

Carolyn
November 14th, 2010, 12:35 PM
I've been taking chromium for about 3 years for diet related health reasons. I haven't experienced any extra shedding. I'm not an alarmist about things like this.

ratgirldjh
November 14th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Well luckily my hair fall has almost stopped - well gotten back to normal anyway. I wonder why it took me so long to figure it out - because every time I started taking the supplement my hair would start falling out and I just attributed it to other things!!! grrr...

My multivitamin also has chromium in it - but only 120 mcg (100% RDA) and that hasn't bothered me. It was just the high dose of it in the Blood Sugar supplement (I am diabetic and it is recommended).

oh well ;)
i felt weird about taking it anyway and now i guess i know why! trust your instincts!!! LOL