PDA

View Full Version : well water versus city water?

pixistixx
November 12th, 2010, 03:39 PM
sooo... just curious, I've been using well water for the last 2 years on my hair. Obviously it is very mineral rich (just look at the layer of crystals in my teapot!)
a couple of days ago we had to switch to city water as we've had a rupture in our well line, and it was cheaper to hook into the city. I was just curious, do you think it will be worse or better for my hair then the well water? I was thinking I should get some distilled for the final rinse, but would appreciate any opinions :)

spidermom
November 12th, 2010, 03:42 PM
It depends on where you are.

A dead cat was discovered in our well long ago; bleh!

StephanieB
November 12th, 2010, 03:43 PM
A dead cat was discovered in our well long ago; bleh!
Mmmmmm... yummy!

Can I come to your house for a drink of your wonderful well water, spidey?

(No thanks!)

pixistixx
November 12th, 2010, 03:47 PM
bleh! that's terrible :(. Ours was a pain because the pump would short out every time it rained, so I'd have to fill gallon jugs with enough water to last 2 or 3 days.... not fun. then i'd go down to the well with a bucket and rope, and scoop out the overflow. frogs would often come up in the bucket and jump out at me, luckily they were still living lol. maybe I should just get a shower filter... the chlorine smells pretty strong to me, but most smells do, plus not being used to it, etc. at least it isn't blue like it was when I lived near Baltimore.... just like a pool!

excentricat
November 12th, 2010, 05:16 PM
My initial guess would be that it won't be worse for your hair as much as different. You may have to re-learn how to treat your hair now that chlorine is the major problem and minerals have become less of one.

Anne~
November 12th, 2010, 05:48 PM
We live on a farm. Our well water is baby formula grade. We have a water softener. With out the softener my hair gets dull and fuzzy. I have washed my hair in city water many times. I would prefer it over well water that is not softened. But my daughter has city water that needs softened.