PDA

View Full Version : Anyone stopped using Shampoo and did you notice any difference in your hair?

Dreamkitty
November 12th, 2010, 08:45 AM
:) Im just curious whether anyone here has stopped using Shampoo & Conditioner from the shops and did you notice any change to your hair growth, hair thickness after you stopped using shampoo?

Im thinking of trying this out and using natural herbal pastes if it makes any difference to my hair.

kdaniels8811
November 12th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Yes, my hair stopped breaking off and actually started growning once I started using herbs - henna, shikakai, catnip. I would highly recommend them. Keep in mind - there is a transition period and herbs do not make your hair feel the same way shampoo does. But they made my dry, dull hair shiny and healthy.

Dreamkitty
November 12th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Yes, my hair stopped breaking off and actually started growning once I started using herbs - henna, shikakai, catnip. I would highly recommend them. Keep in mind - there is a transition period and herbs do not make your hair feel the same way shampoo does. But they made my dry, dull hair shiny and healthy.

There is a Indian store 30 mins away from my house and they have shikakai and brahmi. I want to try this natural treatment after my shampoo and conditioner bottle finishes.:) Did your hair go thicker too? and also did your hair break off due to the shampoos you used or for other reasons, like using hair dye etc?

lajsa
November 12th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I don't use schampoo, but I do CO (cone-free ones). Even if I haven't gone herb or WO or anything I still feel a difference in my hair since I stopped using shampoo; it feels thicker and a lot healthier. I feel like my baby hairs are growing more, and I get less tangles. My hair feels softer and shinier, and a lot less limp and boring. And also, I don't need to wash as often.
So I'd say there's definitely something to gain from getting rid of the schampoo, even if you don't yet have the courage or time to use herbs or that kind of thing.

I'd like to try out herb washing when I've got a steady income, my own apartment and preferably some sort of Indian store nearby ;)

MonikaHa
November 12th, 2010, 09:20 AM
I quit shampoo in February of this year, and it was one of the best things I have ever done for my hair. (that and henna)

kdaniels8811
November 12th, 2010, 10:02 AM
There is a Indian store 30 mins away from my house and they have shikakai and brahmi. I want to try this natural treatment after my shampoo and conditioner bottle finishes. Did your hair go thicker too? and also did your hair break off due to the shampoos you used or for other reasons, like using hair dye etc?

My hair was APL for many many years, it broke off and just would not grow. Stopping shampoo, treating my hair more gently, stopping all heat treatment, I had used hair dye in the past but that was a long time ago, wearing my hair up, and, of course the herbal treatments. I also started using oils on the length and Snowy's moisture treatment. That is all I can think of for now and in less than a year my hair went from APL to waist. Just try one thing at a time, too many things and it will be hard to tell what your hair likes and dislikes. There is a couple week transition period for herbs where you will not feel like your hair is clean. And you probably should clarify to get rid of the soap buildup on your hair. Good luck!

Lianna
November 12th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I quit shampoo for several months, I does nothing for me on an eye level, I use shampoo every day and I'm fine. I do IT only because I see faster hair growth than when I use to CO. Maybe little damage is done, those kind we can't see, you know? But almost everything does that anyway.

Deborah
November 12th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Many of us have not used shampoo in many years. There are numerous threads on washing with conditioner, herbs, baking soda, and just plain water. It's pretty fun to experiment with the various cleansing methods. Have at it! You will likely find one or two methods that work great for your hair.

For me CO washing and Indian herbs both do a great job. WO was okay, but too much work. Baking soda was not too bad either, but CO or herbs work best on my hair, and leave it in its' nicest condition. All the no-shampoo methods are (in my opinion) gentler on the hair than shampoo. That stuff is harsh. (No offense intended to those who prefer to stick with shampoo.)

Vermelha
November 12th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Oh, absolutely! My hair is much thicker and tangles less.

I use a sulfate-free shampoo or black soap to wash my hair, and I don't use conditioner. I replaced conditioner with oil and my hair is much stronger and shinier. I also shed less, in addition to switching my washes to once a week or less.

My hair does feel coarser without conditioner, but my hair is naturally coarse. I think conditioners try to make hair feel soft, but that's not how my hair is supposed to be.

littlenvy
November 12th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I quite shampoo and cones in May of 2010.
Right now I do few different things to get it clean (all natural)
-Baking soda/ ACV
-Egg/aloe/oil mix / catnip rinse
-SLS free shampoo from time to time
-or just CO

My hair is better. Does not dry out and I have not seen breakage for a while. It feels much more moist and thus thicker. (it might not be thicker, just feels that way :p).

But the biggest change is to my scalp. My scalp really loves me for quiting regular 'poo. :) Feels good now and the problems have gone away. I hope they stay away for good.

Vermelha
November 12th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I quite shampoo and cones in May of 2010.
Right now I do few different things to get it clean (all natural)
-Baking soda/ ACV
-Egg/aloe/oil mix / catnip rinse
-SLS free shampoo from time to time
-or just CO

My hair is better. Does not dry out and I have not seen breakage for a while. It feels much more moist and thus thicker. (it might not be thicker, just feels that way :p).

But the biggest change is to my scalp. My scalp really loves me for quiting regular 'poo. :) Feels good now and the problems have gone away. I hope they stay away for good.

I do the egg/oil mixture as a protein treatment on my length, but I've never done it for cleaning the hair. I heard it's great for scalp/root health to massage, leave it on and then rinse. I may give that a shot and add the aloe and catnip to it.

Also, do you use aloe vera gel or aloe juice to make your mixture?

littlenvy
November 12th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I do the egg/oil mixture as a protein treatment on my length, but I've never done it for cleaning the hair. I heard it's great for scalp/root health to massage, leave it on and then rinse. I may give that a shot and add the aloe and catnip to it.

Also, do you use aloe vera gel or aloe juice to make your mixture?
I love this one. You just have to make sure you leave it on for at least 15 minutes for it to work.
And I add 99% pure aloe gel. I find that it helps to make the egg less runny. After I whip the egg/gel and oil together I sometimes add few drops of lime to make the hair more shiny.:)

And I forgot to add to my original post that I just bought Neem soap the other day and washed my hair with that and I like it too!

Lianna
November 12th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Yesterday I washed with just shampoo, let it dry without touching, I was trying to do the hair type wash. I've always had wavy hair, really wavy when longer too, but I didn't see one wave yesterday. Usually cones make hair straighter right...well, I think it might be the other way around for me (normally I use conditioner with cones).

I like cones though, makes the hair really slippery. I'm just waiting to get to APL to do a really acurate hair type. I usually have pony waves anyway.

My point is, I use to think giving up conditioner was kinda wild, and now I'm considering, LOL. The best thing for me is oil anyway. :)

Embrace1913
November 12th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I stopped using shampoo around March or April of this year and I started co-washing instead. I immediately noticed that my hair felt less dry & less fragile. My scalp isn't as dry. I clarify using a shampoo bar every once in a while. I like co-washing because it keeps my hair moisturized and a lot more manageable. Just my 2 cents :flasher:

Vermelha
November 12th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I love this one. You just have to make sure you leave it on for at least 15 minutes for it to work.
And I add 99% pure aloe gel. I find that it helps to make the egg less runny. After I whip the egg/gel and oil together I sometimes add few drops of lime to make the hair more shiny.:)

And I forgot to add to my original post that I just bought Neem soap the other day and washed my hair with that and I like it too!

Sounds really good! I've been wanting to try it out, so I'll use your recipe on my next wash day. I have all the ingredients (well, except the catnip...don't know where to get that at :confused:). And I've never tried lime, so it'll be a first for everything! Thanks for sharing!

littlenvy
November 12th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Sounds really good! I've been wanting to try it out, so I'll use your recipe on my next wash day. I have all the ingredients (well, except the catnip...don't know where to get that at :confused:). And I've never tried lime, so it'll be a first for everything! Thanks for sharing!
You are very welcome.

And you don't have to do catnip if you don't want to.
But if you do, I buy mine at the pet store. Organic and dry. Make a tea out of it, strain it and then rinse your hair with it.
Its a try and error thing for most, some like it and some don't.

spidermom
November 12th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I gave up shampoo for awhile in favor of CO, also tried baking soda. Terrible!

Vermelha
November 12th, 2010, 01:37 PM
You are very welcome.

And you don't have to do catnip if you don't want to.
But if you do, I buy mine at the pet store. Organic and dry. Make a tea out of it, strain it and then rinse your hair with it.
Its a try and error thing for most, some like it and some don't.

Interesting. Well, I'll try an alternative until I can get to the store and get some catnip. I'm glad you explained how to use it!

ddiana1979
November 12th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Has anybody with an oily scalp tried this (CO or herbs only), or is this best for people with dry scalps? I currently do CWC, with shampoo only on my scalp.

JellyBene
November 12th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Has anybody with an oily scalp tried this (CO or herbs only), or is this best for people with dry scalps? I currently do CWC, with shampoo only on my scalp.

Great question! I have fine straight hair and a REALLY oily scalp (I am a teenager so it's pretty bad...) I decided to try this method and I definately had an adjustment period but after about two weeks it looked amazing, and shockingly less greasy than it usually looked 12 hours after I used to shampoo it.

lhangel9
November 15th, 2010, 10:02 PM
I tried it and it didn't make a bit of difference for me.:( Hair was/is still as dull & dry as ever.

suicides_eve
November 15th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Im just curious whether anyone here has stopped using Shampoo & Conditioner from the shops and did you notice any change to your hair growth, hair thickness after you stopped using shampoo?

Im thinking of trying this out and using natural herbal pastes if it makes any difference to my hair.

To the OP,
I found my hair preformed alot better with out using shampoo on a regular basis. Unfortunately, I still have to wash every 2 weeks or so to remove build up that flattens my curls :( I have alot less scalp irritation as well.

ravenreed
November 15th, 2010, 11:36 PM
I mostly CO and have noticed less shedding. I did try soap nuts and had a horrible allergic reaction to them, so I will stick with the method that has been working for me.

Desideira
November 16th, 2010, 12:34 AM
My hair was APL for many many years, it broke off and just would not grow. Stopping shampoo, treating my hair more gently, stopping all heat treatment, I had used hair dye in the past but that was a long time ago, wearing my hair up, and, of course the herbal treatments. I also started using oils on the length and Snowy's moisture treatment. That is all I can think of for now and in less than a year my hair went from APL to waist. Just try one thing at a time, too many things and it will be hard to tell what your hair likes and dislikes. There is a couple week transition period for herbs where you will not feel like your hair is clean. And you probably should clarify to get rid of the soap buildup on your hair. Good luck!

may I ask for advice? I have scalp problems and its very greasy but my ends always break off somewere between APL and BSL. I bought ajurvedic shampoo wchich is mainly ehrbs and some very gentle celaning agents. MY hair feels so oily after and so linp , and it shed much more then ususal (it scared me:() but my scalp felt sothed and happy.

i dont know if this is a transitioning period or maybe natural care is not ment for oli scalp?

i would really apreaciate your advice becuse i would liekt o sue less chemicals more natural products but is seem not working. I dont know what to do:(

i try to wash every other day but on the second day my scalp get itchy :( but my ends are not happy with frequent wasching.

kabelaced
November 16th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I switched from CWC to CO.

The shampoos that I tried made my head itchy, especially those with SLS. For me, though, the determining factor of having super soft hair was finding the right conditioners, then. I'm currently using VO5 Blackberry Sage Tea condish as my first wash, then finishing things off with either Garnier Triple Nutrition or GVP Biolage condish (both are good, but GVP really moisturizes if my hair is feeling a little dry). Then I do a little cool water ACV rinse at the end, rinsing some of that off with water, and tada!

If you do try CO, though, I'd advise doing Apple Cider Vinegar or some kind of a rinse at the end. I got the chance to do just straight CO washing this weekend, and I noticed my hair felt heavier somehow.

curlymarcia
November 16th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I still use shampoo but I'm very interesting on quit. I'm going to try the herbs thing for sure. Let's hope it works for me :)

yotaka
November 16th, 2010, 11:38 AM
If you use baking soda and ACV, can you dilute a big bottle of ACV to use until it's gone or do you have to mix it fresh every time because it loses potency?

LisaEvans
November 16th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Hi hi... I'm a newb but thought I'd sneak in and add my two cents :)

My hair is about 3 inches away from being waist length, wavy and virgin. When my hair turned wavy I had a hard time finding the right products, and only this past year did I learn about the no shampoo thing. I've since switched to only conditioner, with a very rare shampoo when necessary.

My scalp is really oily, which means I have to co-wash every other day. However, I noticed that after a few weeks of transition time, my scalp is actually a little less oily. I don't even have to wash my bangs every day anymore. They don't look oily at all on the second day until late in the evening.

I haven't noticed less shedding, that's stayed pretty much consistent, but I have noticed a lot more shine. My hair had begun to get very brittle and felt damaged even though I never heat style and had virgin hair. Found out that my hair was protein sensitive. So, no protein and no shampoo and my hair is shinier, silkier and no longer feels damaged.

Basically, it took a lot of trial and error to find the right products. And quite a few days/weeks when my hair felt icky as I tried things out and transitioned away from shampoo.

(as an aside, I'll be hennaing my hair for the first time tonight. I found this community while I was researching henna, wish me luck! )

curlylocks85
November 16th, 2010, 02:40 PM
:) Im just curious whether anyone here has stopped using Shampoo & Conditioner from the shops and did you notice any change to your hair growth, hair thickness after you stopped using shampoo?

When I stopped using shampoo I stopped getting dandruff and my hair became much softer and less dry.

StraduX
November 16th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I didn't notice a difference in my hair when I switched to CO, although that was very soon after I started growing my hair out.