PDA

View Full Version : Question about protein usage ...

Tia2010
November 11th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I never knew that hair could could have a preference when it came to proteins or moisture. I use a shampoo with no SLS and cone free conditioner, but I honestly never thought about proteins.

I can't tell if I should rotate with a non protein shampoo and conditioner or not..... My hair doesn't feel overly dry ( just a little on the dry side) but my ends sometimes do look drier /rougher or stick out some (even after a trim) . I haven't though "wow my hair is dry!" but I haven't been getting a "smooth as silk" feeling either. So does it sound like I should rotate protein and moisture?

I have using Giovanni SAS shampoo and conditioner or David Babaii moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. Both of which contain proteins (and I use a little coconut oil on the ends when my hair is damp.) Should I rotate them with a non protein shampoo and conditioner ? I don't want to overload my hair.

Coan-Teen
November 11th, 2010, 09:23 PM
This article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44) has a good general guide for how to decide what, if anything, your hair needs. Once you've done that, you can search the forum for topics related to doing what you'd like to do. ^_^ And remember, you can always give it a try and see what happens. Unfortunately, despite all the good advice, tips, and tricks you can pick up here, your hair is still unique and will have unique needs. If it feels dry and you think it might need a little less protein, try something without protein. If you know your hair type (http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/Personal27.html) you can search for threads related to it and see what others have found effective.

Hope that helps!

Tia2010
November 12th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Thank you for the link to the article. That was very helpful :). I think I may have a little to much protein so I may switch between protein and moisturizing every other wash or so and see how my hair responds (after I do my first ever clarifying treatment :eek:) So much to learn here !

Tia2010
November 18th, 2010, 11:33 PM
OK ... I have done the strand test on wet hair but it just made me more confused . My hair stretches , I have no idea if it goes back or not ( it does a little i guess?) , then I pull it again and it stretches and breaks....so heck if I know :rolleyes:

My hair feels soft but the ends seem dryer. I do get it color treated (about once every four months I go a little darker than my natural...i plan on stopping that and going natural or maybe henna). I use Giovanni products and they contain protein , but would it hurt to do a deep protein treatment followed by a deep condition once every week or two or could that be damaging ?

I just really have no idea if i need more protein. I have never done a real protein treatment . The only protein I use is whats in my Giovanni shampoo/ condish and leave in.

kathyblack1
November 20th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I personally don't do protein treatments. I used to but noticed my hair really doesn't care one way or other. I do a whole head henna treatment monthly, but I don't have to. Even moisture treatments aren't necessary. Each persons needs are different, depending on your diet and health, you may or may not need moisture or protein treatments. Since you color your hair this may mean that you have some damage. Notice there is no true science when it comes to these treatments. If I were you I would look for popular moisture and protein treatments that you would like for your hair, try them out bi-weekly or mthly to see if there are benefits. Also try some oils in your routine, a little goes a long way, lol.
HTH!_!

Tia2010
November 20th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Yeah I feel my hair is a little dry on the ends due to the color , but feels healthy overall.... I just tried a protein treatment last night (my first) followed bt a deep condition ( SMT) , so I will see how it goes :D I will try and tweek my routine to see what works best .