PDA

View Full Version : Help with folded braid

Peter
November 11th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I can't seem to get this to work... how do you folks keep the ends of your hair tucked and hidden? I have wavy hair, so the tassel of my braid is a bit all-over-the-place.

This is how I try to do it: I do a regular English braid at the nape and tie it off, then fold the braid in half so that the ends are under the braid (i.e. they are closer to my back than the top of the braid). Then I use a second elastic around the whole braid to secure it. The problem is that my ends often tickle my skin, or they stick out and look silly.

Am I folding it incorrectly? What should I do?

P.S. I can't French braid yet, it's on my to-do list!

embee
November 11th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I'm waiting to see the answers to this, I can't do folded braid either, for just these same reasons - and my hair is thin and stick straight.... The tassel sticks out, I can't hide it under/behind the braid.

Ash
November 11th, 2010, 09:28 PM
I always braid as far down as possible so there is less than an inch of hair at the end. When I fold up the braid I push the tied end all the way up to my neck underneath and wedge the end up into my hair slightly. The second elastic is positioned about where I would put one for a nape ponytail and it is directly under the first one. I just checked in the mirror and the end doesn't stick out and it doesn't really poke the back of my head too much. Hope this helps and makes sense.

inty
November 12th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Not sure if that helps, since it is not exactly the style you want.

When I make folded braid, I don't let it hang at all, I clip it up all the way up on my head.
That's how I do it.
I make a English braid and then fold it up *over*, not under, so the first fold is where the braid has started. Then I fold it again *under* - this fold is nearly at my crown and hides the tassle neatly. Then I clip it up with small Flexi-8 somewhere in the middle of resulting vertical 'loop' against my head and done. I like this because none of my hair is rubbing my back :) And because it doesn't involve any single elastic.
Sorry for the long and complicated description, it is really simple actually and works for my not so long hair (between APL and BSL).

Katze
November 12th, 2010, 05:35 AM
I also have wavy and very messy hair, and just did one of these yesterday.

What helps me is: to fold 'up' rather than down (otherwise the elastic gets caught in my very wavy nape hairs and I can't get it out!). Then I also braid 'directing' the braid upwards - a bit stressful on shoulder muscles, but makes it lie better.

I'll explain: if you braid with your hands below the point where you are braiding, the braid will be 'directed' downwards. For braided updos, on me anyway since my hair is sooooo super extra messy and frizzy, 'directing' the braid the way I want it to lie helps a lot. For example, if I will be pinning the braids along my head, I hold my hands where I want the braid to eventually lie.

hth!

Marjolein
November 12th, 2010, 05:58 AM
What I've done in the past was push the end a little bit into the nape hair, so that it's hidden. Then I use a spin pin to secure it all. You could also use two bobby pins that you cross.

Peter
November 12th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Thank you all for the replies!

I'll try some of these ideas and hopefully I can get it to work.

Neoma
November 12th, 2010, 05:49 PM
I hate to admit it, but I'm lost. I always thought that a folded braid looked kind of like a log roll pinned to the head. What I think I'm reading here sounds like something else entirely. Pictures, please?

embee
November 12th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I make a English braid and then fold it up *over*, not under, so the first fold is where the braid has started. Then I fold it again *under* - this fold is nearly at my crown and hides the tassle neatly. Then I clip it up with small Flexi-8 somewhere in the middle of resulting vertical 'loop' against my head and done. I like this because none of my hair is rubbing my back :) And because it doesn't involve any single elastic.

Hm. I just tried this and it worked rather well. :) My hair is much longer but quite thin and fine, so it was no trouble to use one of my slides where you use the Flexi.

Thanks for posting these instructions... wonder if I'll be able to do it again tomorrow... usually I have the best updo luck at night shortly before bedtime. ;)

rusika1
November 12th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I hate to admit it, but I'm lost. I always thought that a folded braid looked kind of like a log roll pinned to the head. What I think I'm reading here sounds like something else entirely. Pictures, please?

I'm with Neoma on this. What you're describing doesn't match what I think of as a folded braid, which is braided, folded however many times it takes to fit the back of your head, then held up with a flexi or a leather slide. Sort of a tall, thin bun.

Marjolein
November 13th, 2010, 01:43 AM
I believe (or at least that's how I interpreted it) that the OP meant a braid that's folded in halve, secured at the nape and dangles in your neck.

Neoma
November 13th, 2010, 06:38 AM
I'm with Neoma on this. What you're describing doesn't match what I think of as a folded braid, which is braided, folded however many times it takes to fit the back of your head, then held up with a flexi or a leather slide. Sort of a tall, thin bun.Exactly! That's what I'm envisioning.

inty
November 17th, 2010, 08:16 AM
to embee: Glad to hear it worked for you! You're welcome :)