PDA

View Full Version : Help! Serious hair neglect

purplehaze
November 11th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Hey,

Its been awhile since coming here and I'm in need of some advice!

The last year has been a difficult one and I've neglected my hair big time. I'm now at tailbone and my hair has always been in good condition, but after a year of ill health my hair isn't what it used to be. Its noting like mad and needs some serious care.

I'm looking for some insight into caring your hair back to health. I'm planning on doing a good trim but I'm confused on the most helpful hair care routine, there's so much info out there!

Any help would be much appreciated:sun:

JulietCapulet
November 11th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Moisturizing conditioners....macadamia nut deep hair masque or Mongolian Oil should do it. Good luck!

pepperminttea
November 11th, 2010, 03:32 PM
An SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128) would be a great start. :)

Anje
November 11th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I'll suggest my standard cures:

Clarify your hair with a clarifying shampoo, washing all the way to the ends.
Let your hair soak in an SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128) for an hour or so, then rinse out.

Go get some coconut oil (the type you would eat), maybe at an Indian grocery if you can't find it at your normal grocer. The day before you wash, slather some on and let it soak in. You might even try washing it out later with must conditioner (which tends to remove oil better than shampoo). Or do another SMT!

Anadyomene
November 11th, 2010, 03:58 PM
An SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128) would be a great start. :)

I too agree an SMT would be a great start and perhaps a bit of a trim. I always find that when my hair starts to knot at the ends even with conditioning a trim helps. Hope this is useful.:)

purplehaze
November 11th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the advise

I will give the SMT a go, I've heard good things about it!

My hair is splitting/breaking all over the place too and has lost a lot of volume, so would maybe a protein treatment help?

tinygirl
November 11th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I'd like to third the SMT!
As a newbie, it's the first "treatment" I've tried and it really is fantastic! My hair was getting knotty and dry ends and this sorted it right out!

Anje
November 11th, 2010, 04:45 PM
My hair is splitting/breaking all over the place too and has lost a lot of volume, so would maybe a protein treatment help?
Protein might help, but it depends on your hair. It can be problematic enough for some people (like me!) that I don't hurry to recommend it unless someone has recently permed or bleached their hair, or is complaining that it feels mushy and overly stretchy.

If you do try a protein treatment, follow it up with one for moisture (like the SMT again). Protein treatments are pretty drying for everyone, and neglected hair often already feels dry.

Otherwise, I'll stick with the suggestion to get some moisture into it, followed by a bunch of oil.