PDA

View Full Version : June issue of Allure

jastark84
May 31st, 2008, 11:31 AM
So I was reading my new issue earlier and I discovered a nasty little thing as one of the featured quotes for "Frizz- Fighters" for curly or kinky hair:

Use "the richest silicone -based conditioner known to mankind."

Ughhh.... thoughts?

Leisa
May 31st, 2008, 11:59 AM
:)Hi,
I read that too. That really doesn't work for me for sooo many ways. Firstly, I've discovered sinse coming to LHC that shampoos CREATE frizz for me. So if you strip your hair with detergent its going to get frizzy so heap a ton of silicones on it to control the frizz??
No, I say don't use harsh cleaners and don't get frizz in the first place:D hehe, thats my thinking.

Plus, natural oil controls frizz really well. And its not going to make your hair fall out like silicone conditioners do.:D

(I know many people love their silicones, its just my personal experience):)

Anje
May 31st, 2008, 12:14 PM
I've seen a conditioner or two that actually advertised that they were silicone-based for sleekness or something. Honestly, I'd rather have them advertise the fact than hide it in the ingredients list.

It probably does fight frizz. If you weigh hair down enough, it won't frizz, right?

talula_fairie
May 31st, 2008, 12:15 PM
I have sometimes frizzy wavy hair, and my hair HATES cones. It turns it into straw-feeling ickiness.

FrannyG
May 31st, 2008, 01:22 PM
Well, I'm not one of them, but there are lots of people here at LHC who wouldn't be without 'cones, and some of them have amazing hair.

I don't think cones are evil. If it works for you, great!

tuuli
May 31st, 2008, 02:01 PM
I have sometimes frizzy wavy hair, and my hair HATES cones. It turns it into straw-feeling ickiness.
Hahaha, that's just me. :D

OR Cowgirl
May 31st, 2008, 02:05 PM
Well, I'm not one of them, but there are lots of people here at LHC who wouldn't be without 'cones, and some of them have amazing hair.

I don't think cones are evil. If it works for you, great!

Yep, FrannyG, I think that's just it! The shame part of their "tip" is that alot of people will probably wonder why it doesn't work for them. And rather than trying a different kind of 'cone or realizing that they need to clarify once in a while, they will just be frustrated.

I don't think 'cones bother my hair if I limit their use but they make it almost impossible for a secure updo! LOL!!

Buddaphlyy
May 31st, 2008, 03:31 PM
As some one with frizzy kinky hair, I think it's sound advice. Hair gets frizzy when there's moisture and humidity in the hair. Both of those are at an all time high in the summer. Therefore you want something that's going to block out moisture (i.e heavy cones) so frizz won't happen. My hair wouldn't make it through summer with Garnier Fructis and John Frieda products which are chocked full of silicone.

purplebubba
May 31st, 2008, 06:59 PM
Remember that the information that magazines and tv shows give is probably being given on the assumption that the customer's hair is damaged by heat styling, dyes or bleach, etc

They see hair as a piece of material with holes and cracks and loose shingles that needs filling and smoothing.

They probably are not assuming that someone has grown out virgin hair or has stayed away from harsh treatment.

Plus magazines always seem to contradict themselves either in the same article, same issue, or 2 seperate issues. They seem to have the article say one thing and then get some stylist that gives their take and it may not always match what the author is saying.

Magazines can teach you. It just depends on whether they are telling you things that will or won't work for you. But you still learn.

Gladtobemom
May 31st, 2008, 07:09 PM
For me, what happened was that I over used cones. Then my hair just got tangly and crunchy. It was sooooo dried out. I kept heaping on conditioner but it wasn't doing any good.

The first thing I did after discovering (thank you step sister) LHC is to clarify. I used Aveda detoxifying, two times. Then I did my very first SMT.

It was like magic! The crunchies were gone.

I stayed off cones for over a year. Experimenting with conditioners. Now I use them some, but I'm aware of the need for clarifying and I watch the condition of my hair.

Truism: If you are going to use cones, you must clarify fairly often. Otherwise your hair gets like straw and they quit working.

Riot Crrl
May 31st, 2008, 08:45 PM
For me, what happened was that I over used cones. Then my hair just got tangly and crunchy. It was sooooo dried out. I kept heaping on conditioner but it wasn't doing any good.

The first thing I did after discovering (thank you step sister) LHC is to clarify. I used Aveda detoxifying, two times. Then I did my very first SMT.

It was like magic! The crunchies were gone.

I stayed off cones for over a year. Experimenting with conditioners. Now I use them some, but I'm aware of the need for clarifying and I watch the condition of my hair.

Truism: If you are going to use cones, you must clarify fairly often. Otherwise your hair gets like straw and they quit working.

I agree with this post.

I do think it's a little sinister that the pruveyors don't really tell you so, but maybe they don't know. You know how they say that if you abuse the OTC nasal sprays or antacids, you'll become dependent and just always need them? That's kind of how silicones were for me.

Nicole.Amina
May 31st, 2008, 08:56 PM
As some one with frizzy kinky hair, I think it's sound advice. Hair gets frizzy when there's moisture and humidity in the hair. Both of those are at an all time high in the summer. Therefore you want something that's going to block out moisture (i.e heavy cones) so frizz won't happen. My hair wouldn't make it through summer with Garnier Fructis and John Frieda products which are chocked full of silicone.

I second this. I can get away with looking half way decent in the winter using a cone-free conditioner, but if I try it in the summer I turn into a frizz ball.

shellblue1
May 31st, 2008, 10:52 PM
My hair likes *some* products with silicones, but not every product. I also am more likely to get frizz because of my hair type and it is actually styling products with silicone in them that I've found to be better than just silicone in a conditioner. My hair looks so much better when I use a silicone serum on it, especially when I flat iron it (yeah I do flat iron, but it is only on occasion.). Silicone serums and creams with silicone also define curls.

Madam Librarian
June 1st, 2008, 08:40 AM
Use "the richest silicone -based conditioner known to mankind."

It works for me. :shrug:

I like cone products. I understand that Allure is hardly the beacon of hair care information for people who frequent places like LHC. However, just because it isn't considered 'good' LHC advice doesn't mean that it is bad for everyone. I also use a blowdryer with diffuser after each wash, I use shampoo, I use hair gel, and I leave my hair loose more often than not. I doubt you will find many LHC-er's who would advise any of those things. But they all work for me, and my hair still grows.

A few other posters pointed out that the Allure audience is likely made up of people who color, blow dry, and cut on a frequent basis. Haircare for that sort of hair is different for haircare for people who pamper their hair with the intent of growing it. For hair that is being exposed to heat, friction, and chemicals, silicones are a great way to mask the damage. And when that hair is going to be cut into the next trendy style each season, then why care about possible silicone build-up? These people are also very likely to be sulfate containing shampoo users, so any build-up problems are probably being washed away with a harsh shampoo. So the harsh shampoo might be drying to the hair? Who cares! It's going to be cut soon anyway, just use some rich silicone conditioner to make it look and feel better.

We all need to find haircare that we are comfortable with, no matter what anyone else has to say about it.