PDA

View Full Version : Apple Cider Vinegar

Eireann
November 11th, 2010, 05:11 AM
I want to thank the LHC community ONCE AGAIN for giving me fabulous info I never would have learned any where else. This time it is the ACV rinse. I don't know why it took me so long to try this, but now that I have, I'm hooked! I look like a new person! Where my hair used to be stringy and scraggly, now I look like a Pantene ad. lol! I shampoo 2x per week. The night before shampooing I treat with coconut oil/aloe gel combo and braid it. About twice a month I clarify with a chelating shampoo followed by a deep protein conditioner. This time I followed the protein condition with the ACV rinse, and I'm sooooo happy with the results. I love my hair, and I love LHC!!!! Thanks everyone!!! :cheese:

Pixna
November 11th, 2010, 08:28 AM
ACV has been a miracle "product" for me, too. I use it as my final rinse and conditioner. I'm amazed how it gets out tangles and smooths hair. What an inexpensive solution!!!

emmabovary
November 11th, 2010, 09:41 AM
ACV is what keeps my ends from feeling like hay. :)

Watergallop
November 11th, 2010, 02:18 PM
It didn't work for me the first time I tried it but it's raves like this that are going to make me try it again soon. Also the fact that I now have a giant bottle of it :)

nemileo
November 11th, 2010, 03:18 PM
ACV is a wonder product! It didn`t work for me the fist coupple of times either, but I just had to figure out the right mix with vinegar and water. Maybe just one tabelspoon for on litre of water, so I mix it lightly.

It is great! My hair shines so mutch, and it detangles better than with many conditioners I have tried. And it fits like a glove with poo bars:D

Thank you LHC for changing everything I thought about hair!

soopahgrover
November 26th, 2010, 10:15 PM
How often do you ACV rinse? Every time? I tried it once or twice and really liked it, although I had to lessen the amount of ACV I mixed with water, because the smell was lingering too strongly after my hair had dried.

The last time I did an ACV rinse (1 tbsp ACV to 1 cup water) it was all greasy the next day, like I hadn't washed it at all. Should I try just ACV rinsing once a week, you think?

growing2shine
November 27th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I love ACV. I always use it after I wash my hair. In the beginning I rinsed it out with water, but now I let it stay. And what a difference! I will never stop using it!!! :D

AnnaJamila
November 27th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Just be carefull not to make too strong of a mixture or it'll end up super greasy- a tablespoon is about enough for a liter and WAAAAAAAY too much for a cup for most people.

Cowgirl16
November 27th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Is an ACV rinse something I should/could do after SMT or should I wait for my mid week shampooing and condish? How often do you rinse with it?

salls
November 27th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I have found that an ACV rinse after my normal CWC means I have a less itchy flakey scalp (I guese it was from not pH balancing .my hair). It makes such a difference I think everyone should try it

soopahgrover
November 27th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Just be carefull not to make too strong of a mixture or it'll end up super greasy- a tablespoon is about enough for a liter and WAAAAAAAY too much for a cup for most people.

Hmmmmmm. Maybe this is my problem. Another popular ACV thread suggests 3 tbsps in a cup! I'll try 1 tbsp to a liter. The other extreme!

AnnaJamila
November 27th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I forgot to add that I put it in my hair after every wash, that's why my solution is very diluted, I didn't think about wether someone that uses it once a month would need to use more.

LocustSpawning
November 27th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Ah.... maybe that's why my hair felt horrible aftewards...

I kind of did 1/3 of a cup with ACV and the rest water :p oopsie...

countryhopper
November 27th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Vinegar rinses used to make my hair greasy, but lately I've been having great results with it, especially with helping with dandruff.

Capybara
November 27th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Hi, countryhopper! Haven't seen you in a while :) I find that I need to dilute my vinegar rinses extra super much for my scalp if I don't want to rinse them out. I used to get greasy looking hair sooner, but after I started diluting the final rinse down even more, I don't have that problem.

Watergallop
November 28th, 2010, 02:14 AM
I just tried this again last night and it did clarify my hair but it was not the Pantene-ad-shiny-miracle I had hoped for. I might just have to accept that my hair is dull and frizzy and that no oil or vinegar is going to change that!

RadiantNeedle
November 28th, 2010, 02:49 AM
I just tried this again last night and it did clarify my hair but it was not the Pantene-ad-shiny-miracle I had hoped for. I might just have to accept that my hair is dull and frizzy and that no oil or vinegar is going to change that!

Do you wash/rinse with warm or cool water? I find my hair is shinier and less frizzy if I do a final rinse with cold water.

Watergallop
November 28th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Do you wash/rinse with warm or cool water? I find my hair is shinier and less frizzy if I do a final rinse with cold water.

If I rinse with cold water my hair is shinier as it's drying, but the once it's dry it looks the same as if I'd rinsed it with warm. And since I always wash it at night, and since my bedroom is not very well-insulated... I just go ahead and rinse it with warm so I am not shivering as I step out of the shower :)

Whimsical wind
November 28th, 2010, 02:59 AM
I've been using ACV for years! I stopped though for a while because I wanted to try a certain conditioner, which was really nice. And at first my hair was the same as ever but over the course of several weeks my hair lost its softness, smoothness and shininess. So I went back to the ACV. My hair still isn't back to it's old self yet but it's getting there.

RadiantNeedle
November 28th, 2010, 03:01 AM
If I rinse with cold water my hair is shinier as it's drying, but the once it's dry it looks the same as if I'd rinsed it with warm. And since I always wash it at night, and since my bedroom is not very well-insulated... I just go ahead and rinse it with warm so I am not shivering as I step out of the shower :)

Yeah, that blast of cold is noooo fun if your place isn't warm. I do this rinse with a hand held shower head, often with my hair flipped forward and my head down so that I avoid running the cold water on my skin. Then I carefully and gently squeeze out the excess and reach for a towel, wrap it up, rug up, then let my hair down again. This way I get reduced frizz without freezing to death.

paper
November 28th, 2010, 07:12 AM
I've experimented with ACV rinses twice. I am very impressed! After using S&C I rinsed with diluted ACV. It left my hair soft and full of body, without being too fluffy. I had nice waves after too. My siggy is after using the ACV rinse.

Igor
November 28th, 2010, 07:53 AM

I never really believed in the cold rinse. I mean, if cold water clamps the little scales shut = Shinier hair, wont they return to normal as soon as you heat back up to normal/neutral temperature again?
Sounds like pointless torture to me :wink:

None the less, I do my ACV “rinse” as a dip with cold(er) water. I place my hair-bowl with the ACV mix in the end of the tub away from the showerhead and dip my hair and head in it until I have spilled it all :lol: Then I stand back up and let the water from the showerhead help me bring my hair back to normal “down” to minimise my handling before stepping out.

Beansidhe
November 28th, 2010, 08:17 AM
I've been using ACV for at least 6 months and it's one of the best things I've learned here. Approx. 1 tblsp ACV to 1 liter of distilled water. It keeps my scalp happy and my hair soft and shiny. If I ever skip it I notice the difference right away. I rinse most of it out because of the smell while drying, but I'm going to experiment with diluting it and leaving it in.

Watergallop
November 28th, 2010, 02:38 PM
None the less, I do my ACV “rinse” as a dip with cold(er) water. I place my hair-bowl with the ACV mix in the end of the tub away from the showerhead and dip my hair and head in it until I have spilled it all :lol: Then I stand back up and let the water from the showerhead help me bring my hair back to normal “down” to minimise my handling before stepping out.

I was wondering how other people do the ACV rinse. I knelt in front of the bowl on the floor and turned my head upside down and let my hair soak in it for a bit, but it didn't seem like the best method. Then in the shower I tilted it over my head and a fair amount of it got on my face... good thing I had my eyes shut tight!

I'm going to try this next time, it sounds more comfortable and like there's less risk of vinegar-meets-eyeballs.

growing2shine
November 29th, 2010, 01:38 PM
I never really believed in the cold rinse. I mean, if cold water clamps the little scales shut = Shinier hair, wont they return to normal as soon as you heat back up to normal/neutral temperature again?
Sounds like pointless torture to me :wink:

I forgot to mention that I do an ACV rinse after every wash (I wash once a week), and I like it cold because my scalp gets a shock but quickly gets warm again. My hair has started to grow very fast, so im not changing anything. It works for me. I have heared the same about the cold rinse closing the scales on the hair, but I was wondering about the same. :hmm:

Igor
November 29th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I forgot to mention that I do an ACV rinse after every wash (I wash once a week), and I like it cold because my scalp gets a shock but quickly gets warm again. My hair has started to grow very fast, so im not changing anything. It works for me. I have heared the same about the cold rinse closing the scales on the hair, but I was wondering about the same. :hmm:
(Hi fellow Dane :waving: Not a lot of us around here!)

Maybe I should have added this before, but where as I don’t think a cold rinse has any (Lasting!) effect on the hair, I think its great for the scalp and scalp circulation. That cold rush and the blood flowing back into the tissue must be at least as good as a scalp massage to promote circulation!
I would not be surprised at all if a cold rinse could boost growth like scalp massage can

mneh
November 29th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I want to thank the LHC community ONCE AGAIN for giving me fabulous info I never would have learned any where else. This time it is the ACV rinse. I don't know why it took me so long to try this, but now that I have, I'm hooked! I look like a new person! Where my hair used to be stringy and scraggly, now I look like a Pantene ad. lol! I shampoo 2x per week. The night before shampooing I treat with coconut oil/aloe gel combo and braid it. About twice a month I clarify with a chelating shampoo followed by a deep protein conditioner. This time I followed the protein condition with the ACV rinse, and I'm sooooo happy with the results. I love my hair, and I love LHC!!!! Thanks everyone!!! :cheese:

So glad to hear a fellow LHC-er is happy with a new product. ACV is a great rinse, I've been using it for years and I love it too :)

I love ACV. I always use it after I wash my hair. In the beginning I rinsed it out with water, but now I let it stay. And what a difference! I will never stop using it!!! :D

Same here, I leave the ACV rinse in my hair and I don't notice the smell after my hair dries (I have a very keen sense of smell and don't like lingering whiffs, so I wouldn't stick with ACV rinsing if the smell lingered).

I have found that an ACV rinse after my normal CWC means I have a less itchy flakey scalp (I guese it was from not pH balancing .my hair). It makes such a difference I think everyone should try it

This is why I began using ACV rinses, to help my dandruff. I really noticed a great difference after a short time and have never looked back :) It has also made my hair much shinier and softer.

I forgot to add that I put it in my hair after every wash, that's why my solution is very diluted, I didn't think about wether someone that uses it once a month would need to use more.

I too use an ACV rinse after every wash, and so I make my solution from a good splash of ACV in a pint of water. I keep a plastic pint glass and a flip-top bottle of ACV in my shower just for this purpose. I do two rinses to ensure complete coverage of my scalp.

I was wondering how other people do the ACV rinse. I knelt in front of the bowl on the floor and turned my head upside down and let my hair soak in it for a bit, but it didn't seem like the best method. Then in the shower I tilted it over my head and a fair amount of it got on my face... good thing I had my eyes shut tight!

I'm going to try this next time, it sounds more comfortable and like there's less risk of vinegar-meets-eyeballs.

I tilt my head back a little, put my left hand on my forehead above my eyebrows as a barrier, and then use my right hand to tip the ACV rinse (contained in a plastic pint glass, or jug, so that I can rinse comfortably using only one hand) over my scalp so that the liquid runs back from my forehead, back along my scalp and down my hair. Then I squeegee my forehead to stop potential drips into my eyes, and I wet my fingers under the shower stream to clean my eye area, just in case some of the rinse got where it shouldn't. By using this method I very rarely get stingy eyes. As well as keeping ACV out of my eyes, I also find that my hair sits much better if I do my ACV rinse with my head held vertically, my hair doesn't like being upside down :(

sanfen
November 29th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I have used it mixed in equal parts with water in a "coloring" bottle and just applied it to my scalp, massaged and then rinsed.

I am going to change it up a little and will use a 1 liter empty seltzer bottle to dilute - I imagine it would be so easy to pour over my head and hair without making a mess. :)

cariboo
November 29th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Has anyone tried using ACV with CO washing? Is there any reason this wouldn't work?

:)

jujube
November 29th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Igor, love the siggy. Very appropriate for this thread. :)

This thread is reminding me that it's been a long time since I did an ACV rinse, yet I love them very much. Too bad I just got out of the shower.

Igor
November 29th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Has anyone tried using ACV with CO washing? Is there any reason this wouldn't work?

No.

Igor, love the siggy. Very appropriate for this thread. :)
Thank you :p

mneh
November 30th, 2010, 04:34 AM
I have used it mixed in equal parts with water in a "coloring" bottle and just applied it to my scalp, massaged and then rinsed.

I am going to change it up a little and will use a 1 liter empty seltzer bottle to dilute - I imagine it would be so easy to pour over my head and hair without making a mess. :)

The applicator bottle sounds like a good idea to really apply it right on the scalp - I'll bear it in mind for any times I get the itchies :)

I use ACV rinses with CO washing all the time and have no negative effects :)

growing2shine
November 30th, 2010, 08:04 AM
(Hi fellow Dane :waving: Not a lot of us around here!)

(Ha ha, yes Igor, Hello!!!:waving:)

I just wanted to justify that, in my case, it's not pointless torture. :D

principesse
November 30th, 2010, 09:50 AM
ACV has made a huge difference on my hair. It is the only thing that can make my dry, porous, color-treated and dull hair shine and I've tried plenty of commercial products (shampoos, sprays, etc.) .I definitely recommend it to everyone.

cariboo
November 30th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I use ACV rinses with CO washing all the time and have no negative effects :)

Cheers Mneh! I'll give it a whirl & see what happens... :)

ElliesJellies
November 30th, 2010, 05:39 PM
I've heard of this before but never bothered to try it. Now that I actually have sone acv at the house I can't wait to try it.

moonkitty
November 30th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I have been rinsing with acv for quite a while now and it just isn't the miracle worker on my hair that it seems to be on many other's here. I have tinkered with the mix as well, sometimes keeping it real diluted and other times adding more acv. My water is very hard...maybe that is making it not work so well?

growing2shine
December 1st, 2010, 03:38 PM
I have been rinsing with acv for quite a while now and it just isn't the miracle worker on my hair that it seems to be on many other's here. I have tinkered with the mix as well, sometimes keeping it real diluted and other times adding more acv. My water is very hard...maybe that is making it not work so well?

Where I live, the water is also really hard.
(I have read somewhere that Denmark is the only country in Scandinavia that doesn't do anything to decrease the hardness of the water.) Im sorry that im not really being much of a help... Have you tried not rinsing with water after the ACV rinse?

allmixedup88
December 2nd, 2010, 06:38 AM
ooooh thanks I'm going to try acv rinse today after i deep condition :-)

GRU
December 2nd, 2010, 07:35 AM
I'm another one who CO-washes and uses an ACV rinse almost daily with no bad effects.

Armelle
December 2nd, 2010, 07:58 AM
I wonder if I could use a squirt bottle...
I will have to purchase some ACV when next at the grocery store. Must remember...

sleepingIn
December 2nd, 2010, 08:29 AM
I love ACV for a lot of purposes - works great to kill any bacteria in the tonsils if you have a sore throat (diluted 4:1 with water, doesnt taste great but gargle and swallow and you feel it burn...in a good way)

Just to confirm, the general consensus here is to:

mix 1 tbsp in 1 liter of cold distilled water

finish up shampoo/co routine and dump over hair and allow to sit - do not rinse.

?

soopahgrover
December 6th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Ack, I wasn't thinking last night when I mixed my ACV rinse, and I used too much ACV again. Can someone explain why too much ACV makes your hair feel greasy? This doesn't make sense to me.

When I realized my mistake, I rinsed extra long under the shower head after I was finished, but it's still pretty greasy today. :(

milagro
December 6th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Wow just as I was looking for this thread it bumped up!
1. Any of wavies / curlies experience tangling after vin rinse? I use white vinegar to avoid the tint on my hair, but I don't think there's much difference.
2. How do you rinse? I used a big plastic bottle pouring the mixture down to my tilted head and maybe that's was what caused tangling and mess. But I can't figure how to do it another way.

einna
December 6th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Can`t wait to try it! (Trying really hard to uphold the two week rule here) ;)
What do you use after the shower, when you dont rinse out the ACV? Can I still put my leave in cremes or oils in afterwards? Anything I have to be aware of?

GRU
December 6th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Can`t wait to try it! (Trying really hard to uphold the two week rule here) ;)
What do you use after the shower, when you dont rinse out the ACV? Can I still put my leave in cremes or oils in afterwards? Anything I have to be aware of?

Yep, it's just hair that's been returned to its natural slightly-acidic environment -- apply whatever styling or conditioning products you see fit. :D

liagibba
December 6th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Ack, I wasn't thinking last night when I mixed my ACV rinse, and I used too much ACV again. Can someone explain why too much ACV makes your hair feel greasy? This doesn't make sense to me.

When I realized my mistake, I rinsed extra long under the shower head after I was finished, but it's still pretty greasy today. :(

I'm still trying to get the dilution right, too, and I'd really like to know this, too :)

einna
December 7th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Yep, it's just hair that's been returned to its natural slightly-acidic environment -- apply whatever styling or conditioning products you see fit. :D

Thank you for answering GRU :). Very much new information to get straight here.

GRU
December 7th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Thank you for answering GRU :). Very much new information to get straight here.

You're very welcome, einna... there's a whole bunch of information here -- it can be rather overwhelming when you're just getting started!

soopahgrover
December 7th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I'm still trying to get the dilution right, too, and I'd really like to know this, too :)

I'm still very curious about why too much ACV causes greasy looking hair, but I did quite like 1 tablespoon of ACV to 1 liter of water. That's too much rinse for me, so I do 1/2 tablespoon of ACV to 2 cups of water, which is approximately half the 1 liter recipe.