PDA

View Full Version : oil resistant hair bands?

Heavenly Locks
November 11th, 2010, 02:54 AM
First let me say this is for HORSES ;) Not for people so please don't try to tell me that rubber bands are evil, I know. :p

I like to use coconut oil in the horses manes and tails. I braid it up to protect it however the coconut oil breaks down the standard rubber bands and they pop right off after a day or two. I tried using silicone bands and they did the same thing.

What else could I try? It needs to be durable and stay on for at least a week.

Maybe I could wrap the end of the braid in something (ribbon? tape?) and then put the band over that?

RachelRain
November 11th, 2010, 02:56 AM
My dad used to work on a farm when I was a kid and just used the same wrapped hair bands on them that people use on their own hair. I don't recall if he oiled them though.

enfys
November 11th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Spidermom uses that method, wrapping braid ends in dampened ribbon then banding over the top. She shows it in an article.

My hair breaks down silicone hair bands so if I have heavily oiled I use a fabric covered band or one made from cut up tights. Even if it's only lightly oiled I only get about two/three uses before theyu disintergrate.

Anje
November 11th, 2010, 09:12 AM
I've found that some silicone hairbands disinitgrate easily (never thought maybe it was the oil in my hair), while there are others that are stiffer and generally hold up to anything (the ones Scunci makes go in this category). I'm not as happy using the stiff ones, but if you can find those, I think they hold up better to oils.

ReluctantlyCurl
November 11th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I'm officially stalking this thread, as sometimes I like oil my hair and putting it in 5-10 braids, but using the smaller bands is not an option b/c they break within minutes with oil.

rusika1
November 11th, 2010, 06:22 PM
What about vet wrap? Multiple colors, multiple widths, you could put a silicone/rubber/covered band on over it.

Wasn't someone marketing a very similar (okay, probably exactly the same) product for people hair?

http://www.amazon.com/Gifted-Horse-Vet-Wrap/dp/B0002V47L0

ReluctantlyCurl
November 11th, 2010, 06:37 PM
You know, now that you say that, I have seen stuff like that in running shops and other sports-related stuff; I am pretty sure goody makes something they described as hair tape. I think I passed on it b/c, while I like bright colors, this was like little girl neon stuff. But for something like oiling at home, it would work fine.