PDA

View Full Version : New hair growth after starting better hair care?

OperaTeacherMom
November 10th, 2010, 09:53 PM
A few weeks ago, I started noticing what at first I thought was breakage, and I was FREAKING out because I had no idea what could have caused it. Then I realized it was all the same length, not really in any particular spots or stress points, and didn't look broken or thinned out at the ends.

Is it possible that this is just new hair growth that started when I stopped using sulfates and silicones (and basically stopped shampooing)? The length of the hairs would be about right, I am about 6 months in and the hairs are around 3 inches long.

Anyone have this happen?

frizzinator
November 10th, 2010, 11:57 PM
My response would vary based on the method of hair care you use. CO or WO?

allfeya
November 11th, 2010, 02:48 AM
I had the same experience when I switched to sls free shampoo. Now my hair looks and feels much healthier.

Theobroma
November 11th, 2010, 03:47 AM
I may be seeing the same thing. I started CO washing just over four months ago and haven't touched sulphates since then, and the other day I noticed that I do seem to be seeing some regrowth that's just about long enough to correlate with the change in routine.

Mind you, I've also been taking biotin for about the same amount of time, so there's really no way of telling what's causing it. I do know that my scalp is much happier (less dry, less itchy, less flaky) with CO, and perhaps that means the follicles are happier as well?

jojo
November 11th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Yes I think it is possible, I had the same happen to me, still happening to me those wild child hairs as I call them are made through love LOL!

Crazycatlady
November 11th, 2010, 07:02 AM
I have this too...new growth around my face-hair line. I haven't totally given up SLS shampoos, though. I shampoo with them once or twice a week and CO or use WEN on the other days. I do try to skip washings as much as possible and I've really cut back since I joined here. But, when I see my new growth and overall thickness (yea!) I mainly attribute it to my Biotin and Hair, Skin, Nails supplement I take. :D

sherigayle
November 11th, 2010, 07:52 AM
It could just be time for those hairs to come back in again. I've just noticed a lot of new hairs along my hairline about an inch long. I haven't changed anything in my routine, it's just my hair growth cycle.

sibiryachka
November 11th, 2010, 09:11 AM
I have tons of new growth at my hairline, but I've been attributing it to the biotin supplements I started taking right around the time I improved my hair care, rather than to the changes in hair care per se. There's so much that my widow's peak is actually disappearing!
At first I actually thought I was thinning along the existing hairline; it took a couple of weeks for me to realize that the line was actually marching forward, not retreating.

OperaTeacherMom
November 11th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Thanks, I'm so glad I'm not the only one this has happened to! I do CO, WO scares me a bit since it requires brushing and my hair is curly :)