PDA

View Full Version : ACV Effects

Eire
November 10th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I've started doing an ACV rinse every other day prior to my CO wash (I use a very diluted concentration). After a week I began to notice that my henndigoed hair has started to appear lighter. Internet research has shown me that many sites list apple cider vinegar as a hair-lightening method along with honey and lemon juice.

Another site said that ACV doesn't lighten hair, but it does bring out a reddish tone.

Has anyone else found ACV to lighten or redden their hair?

StarryNight
November 10th, 2010, 06:21 PM
I have been using ACV rinses for several months now and have not noticed any lightening or red tones, but I dilute mine way down.

Bene
November 10th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I've been doing ACV rinses with every wash for over 2 years. I haven't noticed any lightening. As for reddish tones, I'm not sure if I've always had them or if its the ACV. I didn't pay that close attention to my hair before.

nemileo
November 11th, 2010, 03:24 PM
My henndigo does not go lighter, but my hair gets a lot cleaner and clearer. The shine brings out my red tones more than before, so I think it appears lighter.

spidermom
November 11th, 2010, 03:33 PM
ACV gave my hair red tones in the distant past. Vinegar makes my hair crazy fly-away, so I don't use it.

cmnt831
November 11th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I think it may have made my silvers appear more yellow while I used it; but I've always had strong red tones in my brown hair since I was a child, so I can't speak to that.

Whimsical wind
November 11th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I've been using it for years, and my hair has never got lighter from it. I use about 1-2 table spoons to three cups of water.

abbatabba1137
February 28th, 2011, 10:05 PM
(Yay I found a thread for this!)

Yes, acv has done BOTH to my hair. I have used a rinse ratio of 1tbsp of acv to 1cup filtered water twice in the past month and my hair has indeed changed!

My hair before was kind of dull and mousy/grey brown, and now it is a rich copper-ish brown with slight red tones and light brown highlights.

My dad and brother get the same color in their beard hair, so maybe the acv just helped bring it out in my hair?

Either way, I really like it and wont complain!:cheese:
(it has also had the usual benefits for my hair. Shiny and smooth, lower frizz counts)

monsterna
February 28th, 2011, 10:16 PM
I've noticed more coppery red tones since using the AVC, but as someone said before, maybe they've always been there and only now I notice. But I notice lots of things about my appearance, and I think it's definitely from the AVC. It's nothing noticeable, I don't think, but I can tell in the right light, and especially with camera flash.