PDA

View Full Version : Recognized by my hair!

nytquill
November 10th, 2010, 03:41 PM
I work in a drug store in an area with a lot of retirement homes and assisted living apartments, so we have a lot of elderly and special needs customers. One of our regulars is a vision impaired gentleman who comes by nearly every day and stops to talk to nearly all of the clerks and cashiers before he leaves. He especially likes to talk with me when I'm working because I speak English which is rare enough in French-speaking Quebec, and he is originally from Holland and enjoys the opportunity to use his English. He can see shapes and colors I think but not details, so he knows there are people in front of them but can't make out their faces. Normally he will stand off to one side and wait until he hears your voice, so that he knows who he's speaking to, before saying hello.

Anyway to get to the point: today I was working in one of the aisles and he came up to me, watched me for a second and then said, "That must be Nytquill! Hello, Nytquill! I recognized you by your braid!"

I'm not the only long-haired girl at work, but think I've only seen one other girl at the pharmacy come to work in a braid a few times, and I wear one nearly all the time because I know it will stay put! Made my day for him to say that though :)

KittyLost
November 10th, 2010, 04:05 PM
That is a very sweet tale! I bet that made you smile for the rest of the day.

Inane Romance
November 10th, 2010, 04:10 PM
It's weird how the smallest things can make you feel so awesome. I was actually stopped in the hallway of my school today by a girl. She grabbed my arm gently because I hadn't realized she was talking to me. "You always look so fashionable!" That was so friggin' awesome. :D

My writing teacher calls these "dimes". Small bits of happiness rather than "dollars", or big pieces of happiness. C:

Alcenaia
November 11th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Aw, that is a lovely story! How nice for that to happen to you. :)

Krentje
November 11th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Sounds like your braid is very good looking :)

Is it possible that it is my old uncle? He lives in Quebec, is from Holland and can only see a little blurry with one eye (the other one = totally blind). I am not sure which name he uses in English, i think Andy.

sophiamarie
November 11th, 2010, 08:59 AM
What a lovely story! That must have really made you smile!

SpinDance
November 11th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Is it possible that it is my old uncle? He lives in Quebec, is from Holland and can only see a little blurry with one eye (the other one = totally blind). I am not sure which name he uses in English, i think Andy.
Now this would be a fabulous thing, if 2 LHC'ers have yet another, so unexpected, connection! :)

Congrats on the kind comment. I love when things like that happen!