PDA

View Full Version : Ex-curlies: Advice on changing hair type needed

Speedbump
May 31st, 2008, 08:17 AM
I have curly hair. It is a true 3-level curl when shorter, but the longer it gets, the more the curl pulls out. Even on first-day hair, it is almost a really tight 2C now. (My nape hair is still 3B/3C, and that likely won't ever change. :lol: ) Most of the time it is not *nearly* as curly as Day One hair. Even Day Two hair is what I would call the 2C range of wave rather than a true 3-level spiral.

So.... I am seriously considering changing my hair type from 3A/3B to 2C/3A at this point. Pictures really don't do my hair type change justice, because my wave is so tight it LOOKS like curls in the photos even though the bends really aren't that three dimensional. People who have seen my hair in person recently have often called it "wavy" instead of "curly" (without prompting) thus cementing the idea that my hair type really has changed with length.

Any ideas or advice on this from former curlies whose length has caused them to go wavy? I admit it's a little emotional for me to change this, but increasingly I feel like the hair type I have listed is just not me anymore.

Shell
May 31st, 2008, 08:44 AM
I think that you're still a 3A, maybe just drop the 3B?

rhubarbarin
May 31st, 2008, 08:45 AM
I'm in the same boat.. with short hair I'm a 3a, but not anymore. I'm more a 2c now, even on wash day. I want to post a pic and have everyone here type me before I change it for good, though..

My hair DOES spiral, but it doesn't look curly from behind.. then again, everyone still talks about it being curly.

Yeah, it is sad for me. I like my big, curly hair, and was looking forward to having long spirals, which I think looks amazing. I wish I still had my curls now that I've learned to take care of them properly.

My hair isn't very long now (nearly shoulder-blade dry, mid-back when wet) so I wonder how much curl or even wave I will have when I start reaching my length goals.

However, I wonder how many curlies still have round spirals once they get to waist (dry) and beyond? Maybe it's just not possible for most curly hair to retain the same shape when long.

funnybunny668
May 31st, 2008, 08:54 AM
But I think even with the curls not actually "spiralling" you can tell by looking at how close together the bends are that it's still a curl, it's just stretched. Wavy bends are usually a bit farther apart, if that makes sense. :)

Euphony
May 31st, 2008, 09:41 AM
I think hair type is relative. Whatever you feel the hair type is, is what's important. I see some here that have their hair classified at 2C and no matter how hard I squint and see several of their pictures I cannot for the life of me see 2C. But it's what makes them happy.

But I think even with the curls not actually "spiralling" you can tell by looking at how close together the bends are that it's still a curl, it's just stretched. Wavy bends are usually a bit farther apart, if that makes sense. :)
I totally agree with this statement. I was playing with my hair yesterday since it was down and I noticed that a lot of my hair doesn't bend, but it's loooooooooong drawn out spirals. But looking briefly at it, it looks bendy. When my hair is shoulder length "wavy" it has big bouncy curls/spirals. But as I mentioned before hair type is relative, so I claim 2b since I feel I'm very in between.

Speedbump
May 31st, 2008, 09:54 AM
Guys, thanks for all of the thoughts. After lots of thinking, I have moved my hairtype to 3A only. I just can't deal emotionally with 2C at this point. :lol:

Thanks! :cheese:

spidermom
May 31st, 2008, 10:04 AM
It's still curly. As I gain length, my 2C type looks distinctly different from your type.

I remember Fia saying that the appearance of your hair can change as it gains length, but the type doesn't. Since it's her system, I think we can stick with that.

maskedrose
May 31st, 2008, 10:12 AM
My siggy picture is combed out, and the straighter canopy tends to hide the curlies. There are parts of my head that are 3a, but parts that are 2a, but since it spirals so much in places I decided on 2c. However, your's looks nothing like mine and like someone else said, those tight, kinky waves would be curly if they were shorter, so I'd stick with 3a/3b if I were you.

Snowymoon
June 19th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I wonder about this often myself. I am truly 2C when my hair is shorter, but my hair reminds me more of 2A these days, especially if I comb it out.

I don't think I feel comfortable changing it, unless I dropped to 2B, because I know I can coax more wave out of it if I work at it.

If your hair is just "wavy," it is the waviest darn hair I have ever seen. ;) You definitely have the curly texture, more like Mr. Snowy's hair (Snowplow? LOL), who is also a curly. Wavy hair is a bit different, and I would still put you in the curly range. Even with length, if you changed your styling technique a bit, (washed up-side down, scrunched, plopped, used gel) I bet your curls would appear for you, but you and I both know how not worth it that stuff is once you get to this length and are going longer between washing. (I am not doing most of those things myself anymore due to length.) :)

You are definitely still a curly, IMO. :)

darkwaves
June 19th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Speedy, you still look like a solid curly to me, but I know what you mean.

I'm going through this, too. My hair is curly on the first day -- but less and less so with length -- but then the curls fly away. I recently changed mine from 3a to 2c/3a, and I've been considering changing that again to 2c.

But I don't think my approach is the right one, as far as representing hair types on the board.

If all curlies changed their hair type as it grew longer, we'd only have curlies with short hair here. Then, when new people went looking for inspiration to prove that curly hair really can grow long, they'd never find it!

So spidermom is probably right (as usual).

I remember Fia saying that the appearance of your hair can change as it gains length, but the type doesn't. Since it's her system, I think we can stick with that.

And Fia told me I was 3a... so maybe I should go back to that!

Curlsgirl
June 19th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one! I just changed mine to 2c/3a for just that reason. I didn't really mind so much and just felt that was more accurate for my hair at this length. For me I think it has something to do with the products I use too. I have been using some cones to help with detangling and it seems to straighten it out some. I really don't mind though. Your hair is beautiful no matter what type you use :love:

Speedbump
June 19th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Wow, I was surprised to see this again! :lol:

Ultimately, what was right for *me* was to change my hair type to 3A. I still have 3C curls at my nape, but a lot of those don't grow long, and simply do not affect my overall length. Also, it won't let you have "3A/3C" anyway.

I doubt, at my goal length of classic, that my hair will become truly a 2 range enough of the time to switch down to 2something. This is probably where I will end up...unless I decide to change my hair goal. :whistle:

Riot Crrl
June 19th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I did the opposite, I thought that I had wavy hair, then I cut it and it became curly. So this will probably begin to reverse again at some future point. I'm hoping I can keep the curl in better with better care this time... but I'm not holding my breath.

redcelticcurls
June 19th, 2008, 08:04 PM
This is part of why I have such a modest (well, modest for here) length goal. I like being a 3B. :) Right now I'm still a 3B in the front but a 3A/B blend in the back, leaning more towards an A look as my roots get curl drag with length.

Speedbump, if all I knew of you was your siggy pic, I totally would've called out a 2.

But, on your Mar '08 pic it looks like a loose 3A to me, and I am rather strict on handing out a 3, lol.

I do get confused about typing here though. It seems that some put the type they want as opposed to the type I see in pics, as if one little spiral justifies a 3. It is also hard to judge with updo pics also since they tend to look straighter.

Riot Crrl
June 19th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I wonder if that's routines too... I can easily appear as a 2 if I used a BBB or something. And all my updos (aside from peacock twist which I use mostly to mitigate weather disasters and such) are pulled so tight it looks like a 1.

Curlsgirl
June 20th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I wonder if that's routines too... I can easily appear as a 2 if I used a BBB or something. And all my updos (aside from peacock twist which I use mostly to mitigate weather disasters and such) are pulled so tight it looks like a 1.

Exactly. I braided my hair in an English braid for work today and it definitely looks like a 1. The top of my hair toward my crown is straight anyway with little help and the rest is just pulled back and braided. I really don't mind though. I wonder why 3 is supposed to be somehow "better". I love 2's and 1's too for different reasons. I am so glad I have hair that can do all of them! It's a nice variety as on any given day I have like different hair!!! :D

Riot Crrl
June 20th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I don't think 3 is "better." They are all awesome. I like that I can be versatile too. The only thing I can't get is 4, lol.

Curlsgirl
June 20th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I don't think 3 is "better." They are all awesome. I like that I can be versatile too. The only thing I can't get is 4, lol.
That would be tough!

redcelticcurls
June 20th, 2008, 08:32 AM
I can easily get to the 2s with updos, but not a 1.

I don't think 3 is better. I just like keeping what I was born with, lol.

Altocumulus
June 20th, 2008, 08:34 AM
The 3 part of my hair is only on the front and sides, so is not visible in standard LHC back of the head pictures. I think many of us with mixed types have that kind of pattern, so maybe you're just not seeing their curls?

I'm not sure whether to change my type or not. When it was shorter (midback), I had definite 3a spirals in the front, and even in the back on a humid day, but they're definitely getting pulled out as my hair gets longer. Now I only get them in the front. I see a "2c" in my future...

morgwn
June 20th, 2008, 08:38 AM
I am just enjoying my changing hair type at this point; it keeps it interesting! :lol: But I have got from tight curls to loose curls to wurls and now a lot of just wave a day or so after a wash. I still get loose ringlets, though, which I have to admit that I do love. I don't know what my hair will be like after it gets much longer than this because I'm soon about to hit my longest-ever point in terms of actual length. The longest hair I've previously had was waist-length back when I was 13 and I was much shorter then. :)

Curlsgirl
June 20th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I can easily get to the 2s with updos, but not a 1.

I don't think 3 is better. I just like keeping what I was born with, lol.

I probably worded that badly! I didn't mean it like in a negative way! :love:

redcelticcurls
June 20th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I probably worded that badly! I didn't mean it like in a negative way! :love:

Oh, no offense taken, was just explaining why some might have a hard time changing their type with growth, or with post-pregnancy curl change or whatever.

Curlsgirl
June 20th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Oh, no offense taken, was just explaining why some might have a hard time changing their type with growth, or with post-pregnancy curl change or whatever.

Got it! :pumpkin:

jessie58
June 22nd, 2008, 01:31 PM
This is an interesting thread, I changed mine from a 2c/3a to a 2c a few months ago. Mine keeps changing and darn it all if it doesn't look just like Speedy's spirals UNDER the canopy where it cannot be seen by anyone.

Cichelle
June 22nd, 2008, 01:44 PM

I know this was posted a few weeks ago but I had to quote it because it makes sense and I think explains what has happened with my hair.

Curlsgirl
June 22nd, 2008, 07:51 PM
I know this was posted a few weeks ago but I had to quote it because it makes sense and I think explains what has happened with my hair.

I thought about this today! Mine looks like that EXACTLY!