PDA

View Full Version : Cut the damage off!!

Dyefree
November 10th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Well after sitting and staring at my hair for ages and s&d-ing for ages I realized I was fighting a losing battle.... No matter how much I cut the damage was just too extensive....

So I booked into the new salon which recently opened in town and went along for a wash and cut...

It was so hard for me to put my hair down and tell the stylist why my hair was in such bad shape, but thankfully she was soooo understanding and didn't make me feel embarrassed or too bad. She told me my hair was very fine, but that I had a lot of it :o and that I needed a good 4 inches off the ends. She said she wouldn't recommend layers as my hair is so fine and she would blunt cut and take minimal amounts of the layer (she literally took an 1/8th of an inch from them).

I am so happy with the result, my hair looks so much healthier, and yes it is a lot shorter.... But realistically the ends would never have made it, no matter how much babying I did to them.

I think this stylist is a keeper... I will see her for a micro-dust to even out the layers in a few months and then I'll hopefully have a nice hemline to grow out :)

So I'm back up above shoulder, but so much happier and healthier for it.... Pictures to follow... :)

jenwexler
November 10th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Sometimes it is good to bite the bullet and cut off damage. I hate it but it must be done.

SpinDance
November 10th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Congrats on finding a good stylist, and on your new, fresh ends!

Oksana
November 10th, 2010, 10:49 AM
i just cut 1 1/2 inches off my ends to get rid of damage and even my hemline up and mine also feels much better. Glad you found a reliable stylist :)

spidermom
November 10th, 2010, 10:50 AM
You did the right thing. I did the same thing when I had bad ends. Keeping them wasn't doing a thing for me; my hair only grew 3/4 of an inch over 4 months. So I had the entire 5 inches of damage lopped off, and my hair grew 2 inches over the following 6-8 weeks. I couldn't believe it!

HintOfMint
November 10th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Congratulations on finding a great stylist and biting the bullet on getting a haircut. Its rough, parting with a lot of length, a lot of people have a really hard time doing it, but in the end, it is worth it.

daaisychains
November 10th, 2010, 10:57 AM
:D Congratulations lovely, now you know you can start afresh with a totally healthy head of hair, that must be a great feeling.

Happy growing

enfys
November 10th, 2010, 10:59 AM
What a great stylist you found!

You have the right attitude about this; it needed doing, it's done, and now you're free to grow :cheese:

Dyefree
November 10th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Thank you all so much. The support and advice on this site has been invaluable to me...

With my inch of virgin regrowth creeping closer to the ends, I feel so much better. One more trim in a few months and I'm ready to grow healthy full hair :cheese:

My hair is wavy/ curly so even though it's not the most flattering length for me, I don't care! My hair is always gently clipped up and protected and I'm experimenting with pretty hair bands and clips ( hair is obviously too short for pretty up do's)

Hopefully I won't be seeing those little trails of broken hair everywhere now (eek! :whistle: )

pepperminttea
November 10th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Good for you, and congrats on finding a good stylist - don't let that one go! :)

gotzbrainz
November 10th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Im begining to feel like i need to do the same. what was the extent of your damage? And why was it so damaged?

Dyefree
November 10th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Im begining to feel like i need to do the same. what was the extent of your damage? And why was it so damaged?

Bleached, dyed, blow fryed, flat ironed, extended ball of fuzz... :o
Even though I've quit all heat styling, dye etc etc the babying wasn't doing a thing for the ends.... They were literally breaking off in the shower, on the pillow.....

They had to go, and my hair feels a million times better :)

Saturnia
November 10th, 2010, 01:55 PM
It's so hard to do, but it definitely is the best. My hair was in horrible shape when I got it cut. A good foot of hair came off, at least. I wish I could still have that added length, but I hated to even touch it. My hair is so much healthier now, it's not worth it to be long if it's damaged.

Flossy
November 10th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Sometimes you just have to put health above length. I'm so pleased for you, finding a stylist you like.

I got my mum to trim off about 1/2 inch yesterday for me (who am I turning into, getting my MUM to cut my hair! LOL) and it has made such a big difference. The ends look soooo much better without the straggly bits of growth I got from not trimming.

My focus is now on health and enjoyment, rather than just length.

jojo
November 10th, 2010, 06:01 PM
You have done the right thing. i remember spidermom having her big trim and she got the lost length back in no time, I cut an inch and half off mine in September and 4 weeks later 1 full inch had grown back, so yes well done for biting the bullet, your hair will soon grow!

Dragon
November 10th, 2010, 11:32 PM
I'm very gald you found a good hairdresser and are happy with the results. :)

feralnature
November 10th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Glad you are happy with your hairdresser and your trim! YAY!

UltraBella
November 11th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Congrats, smart decision and I can't wait to see pics !

evampr18
November 11th, 2010, 02:55 AM
You have the perfect attitude. I got over 1.5 inches cut off my hair just a week ago and feel great with it. We'll have long hair someday and meet our goals. But what better way than a healthy future TBL?

Henrietta
November 11th, 2010, 12:17 PM
You have the perfect attitude. I got over 1.5 inches cut off my hair just a week ago and feel great with it. We'll have long hair someday and meet our goals. But what better way than a healthy future TBL? I totally agree. It is so good to see someone with such a positive attitude!:) Congratulations on your trim and your new hair;)

xoxophelia
November 11th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Looking forward to the pictures as well. I am jealous of your bravery :)

jackie75
November 11th, 2010, 02:05 PM
I know how you feel. I was in the same boat & just got mine cut today! :) I feel so much better now that I don't have to obsess over all that damaged hair.

Congrats & happy, healthy growing! :D