PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of shed hair for curly/wavy hair

wickedwitch
November 10th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Back when I brushed or combed, the shed hairs would come out when I did that. But now they just stay in my hair for the most part until I wash, which isn't that often. But the shed hairs increase the amount knots, so I'd like to be able to remove them. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Pierre
November 10th, 2010, 09:54 AM
How do you wash? I comb in the shower, which gets out most of the sheds. I usually keep my hair up until the next wash day, so the shed hairs stay in the updo until then.

curlymarcia
November 10th, 2010, 12:34 PM
wickedwitdh I undestand you, I also have curly hair and now I wash it only once a week. But the tangles due to shed is crazy. So, what I do is between washes I wet my hair with water (just a little) and detangled with a wide comb (or my fingers). Or I put my home made leave in conditioner on dry hair and comb quickly. Hope these help ;)

renarok
November 10th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I comb my hair every am over the bathroom sink. I Use a wood bristle brush on the scalp. I brush quite hard to stimulate the scalp and hopefully get all the shed hairs into the brush or sink at one time. I then will oil it a little or use a leave in, and style it for the day. I have found this really minimizes the amount of shed hairs that end up in the drain or on my clothes.

A denman or a good comb will also work to get the blood going in the scalp. It also feels great.

jeanniet
November 10th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I have 3a hair, but I have to comb it out in the morning and at night or it just tangles too much--I think it's because I have a mix of fine to coarse hairs. I use a very wide-toothed comb from hairsense.com. The teeth are spaced about 1/2" apart, so it's pretty gentle on curls although they still loosen up. This takes out most of my shed hairs and really helps to reduce tangling and knots.

Avital88
November 10th, 2010, 01:58 PM
i comb it once a day and that removes most of the shed,but washing always works the best.
I only wash every 4 to 5 days and sometimes once a week(but only when im not going out of the house,i look like a greaseball)
So comb in the morning i guess..

princessp
November 10th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Most of my shed comes out in the shower too (only wash hair about 1x weekly). But I also do some finger combing during the week . I try to do this outside so as to not live like a mouse in a hair-house.

kitschy
November 10th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I try not to touch or comb my hair at all between washes. It just makes it frizzy, snarly and knotty. I only use a wide toothed comb in the shower with condish. If I'm not messing with my hair, I don't know if it is tangled or not. What I don't know won't hurt me.

girlcat36
November 10th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I try not to touch or comb my hair at all between washes. It just makes it frizzy, snarly and knotty. I only use a wide toothed comb in the shower with condish. If I'm not messing with my hair, I don't know if it is tangled or not. What I don't know won't hurt me.

Ditto.

When I do detangle, I use a Tangle Teezer right before I wash, and I wash 2-3 times a week.

Vermelha
November 10th, 2010, 04:19 PM

Totally agree with this! I can speak for this here. If I don't touch my hair until wash day, it tangles less.

EbonyCurls
November 10th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I scalp massage my hair to loosen any strays, then I divide my hair in half, grab each side in a fist, near the scalp, and slide my fist all the way down to the ends. It takes care of alot of loose hair so it doesn't stay in and tangle, and doing one, smooth, downward motion prevents my hair from frizzing or messing up. Sometimes it even helps put my curls back in line.

When washing hair in the shower I comb with a wide-tooth comb under the running water to get as much dead and potentially dead hair out.